Are the posted questions getting worse?

• SQLRNNR (8/4/2014)

Lynn Pettis (8/4/2014)

Don't you just love people that ask for help but tell you it can't be a certain way, especially when the way the say it can't be done is the easiest to accomplish?

Of course, why make it easy? It has to be made to be extremely difficult so it will take longer to implement, be harder to support, harder to maintain and can be boasted about more to help guarantee your job longer.:-D

All too many times, those are the people who are replaced first.

Viewed as a risk, not quite how they see it. 🙂

• Greg Edwards-268690 (8/4/2014)

SQLRNNR (8/4/2014)

Lynn Pettis (8/4/2014)

Don't you just love people that ask for help but tell you it can't be a certain way, especially when the way the say it can't be done is the easiest to accomplish?

Of course, why make it easy? It has to be made to be extremely difficult so it will take longer to implement, be harder to support, harder to maintain and can be boasted about more to help guarantee your job longer.:-D

Aw, but what a feeling when you meet the challenge. Of course, in this case it would have been easier to see if the OP could ask the DBA to implement the function so he could use it. That could have been a win/win for both.

• Jeff Moden (8/4/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (8/4/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (8/4/2014)

Lynn Pettis (8/4/2014)

Whom ever has the Great Mystical Crystal Ball, you are needed here.

I am afraid I have left it in my other coat...

I'm relying on the ESP network as the GMCB has gone AWOL once again, reception's no good though. Wonder if someone could launch some intel gathering pork chops (the number is depending on the chops data capacity)l.

😎

Those would be the patented boomerang pork chops. How'd you know about those?

Someone spotted few of them here[/url].

😎

• Lynn Pettis (8/4/2014)

Greg Edwards-268690 (8/4/2014)

SQLRNNR (8/4/2014)

Lynn Pettis (8/4/2014)

Aw, but what a feeling when you meet the challenge. Of course, in this case it would have been easier to see if the OP could ask the DBA to implement the function so he could use it. That could have been a win/win for both.

Nothing wrong with challenges, but need to be for the right reasons.

That's when they are fun.

• Lynn Pettis (8/4/2014)

Usually it is either a homework assignment (where the professor doesn't want them to use the easy way so they actually learn to think about the problem) or they have a stupid boss who tells them not to use X because they read some blog post on the interwebz ten years ago that proclaimed X might be bad in some cases.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Jeff Moden (8/4/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (8/4/2014)

Lynn Pettis (8/4/2014)

I'd let you borrow mine... but it's a prosthetic. 😛

Mine's pathetic :pinch:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Greg Edwards-268690 (8/4/2014)

SQLRNNR (8/4/2014)

Lynn Pettis (8/4/2014)

Surely that's "all too few times"? I wouldn't want to have employees playing that sort of job perpetuation and cost maximising game.

Unfortunately too many emloyers don't get it, so it's all too often not a risk.

Tom

• Well I have been in IT for more than 20+ years now, mostly C, C++ and Java. Only in past 5 years or so did I get a position where I am working with SQL Server and Oracle, mostly SQL Server. I LOVE it. I just wish I could have started learning SQL, databases etc., much earlier in my career. So I have MUCH to learn from all you pros.

At first coming to the fourms and reading the questions, you guys and gals seemed to harsh to the OP. But now being around the forums a while I completely agree with you pros. I can't believe all these questions and how people don't what to press F1 or use Google! Now I understand why you need DDL, execution plans etc. Don't know where I am going with this, so I will stick to reading the questions and trying to learn from the pros.

• Eirikur Eiriksson (8/4/2014)

Jeff Moden (8/4/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (8/4/2014)

Lynn Pettis (8/4/2014)

I'm relying on the ESP network as the GMCB has gone AWOL once again, reception's no good though. Wonder if someone could launch some intel gathering pork chops (the number is depending on the chops data capacity)l.

😎

😎

AH!!! So THAT'S where the prototype ended up! I'd used 6 bands on the pork chop launcher and I never did find that first test shot. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (8/5/2014)

Jeff Moden (8/4/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (8/4/2014)

Lynn Pettis (8/4/2014)

😎

😎

AH!!! So THAT'S where the prototype ended up! I'd used 6 bands on the pork chop launcher and I never did find that first test shot. 😛

I think I saw one plastered on the side of the satellite. Congratulations, Jeff. Now you're in orbit in a way that doesn't have anything to do with inefficient code. 😉

• Ed Wagner (8/5/2014)

Jeff Moden (8/5/2014)

Jeff Moden (8/4/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (8/4/2014)

Lynn Pettis (8/4/2014)

😎

😎

I think I saw one plastered on the side of the satellite. Congratulations, Jeff. Now you're in orbit in a way that doesn't have anything to do with inefficient code. 😉

So this incedent was not a bug after all, it was a pork chop. Guess the that pork chops are not yet covered by Trattato del Detrito Spaziale (Space Debris Treaty)[/url]

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (8/5/2014)

So this incedent was not a bug after all, it was a pork chop.

Heh... I wonder if the lead developer's name was "Glon". 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (8/5/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (8/5/2014)

Pretty close, almost there, "but" it was ?????? ?????? ???????? ?????? Moden ? (Sekret Svinaya otbivnaya Dzheffa Moden v) who was the culprit. BTW not programmed in Lua either.

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (8/5/2014)

Jeff Moden (8/5/2014)

Pretty close, almost there, "but" it was ?????? ?????? ???????? ?????? Moden ? (Sekret Svinaya otbivnaya Dzheffa Moden v) who was the culprit. BTW not programmed in Lua either.

😎

I thought Jeff's ?????? ???????? were ?????? ????????? rather than c?????? And of course it was failure to use them as a training aid which led to bugs being permitted in the development.

😛

Tom

• TomThomson (8/5/2014)

Jeff Moden (8/5/2014)

😎

I thought Jeff's ?????? ???????? were ?????? ????????? rather than c?????? And of course it was failure to use them as a training aid which led to bugs being permitted in the development.

😛

Think we should settle on the "secret" being a common knowledge or rather a common secret:-P.

😎

Viewing 15 posts - 45,076 through 45,090 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply