Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Well, it finally happened. I've been threatened with it my entire career. You hear about it in meetings all the time, but you figure it is just hyperbole. Last night on my way home I was hit by a bus.

Now, it was a minivan with a "School Bus" sign on top and I was in my car at the time, but they rear-ended me and it certainly wasn't pleasant. I'm fine, my car is fine, everyone involved is fine. I am a little achy, but I'm sure it is nothing.

I'm looking forward to the next time it comes up in a meeting so I can say "Been there, done that. It was no big deal, lets move on."

Of course, I'm getting a colonoscopy on Friday. I'll be rear-ended twice in a week!

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (8/6/2014)

Well, it finally happened. I've been threatened with it my entire career. You hear about it in meetings all the time, but you figure it is just hyperbole. Last night on my way home I was hit by a bus.

Now, it was a minivan with a "School Bus" sign on top and I was in my car at the time, but they rear-ended me and it certainly wasn't pleasant. I'm fine, my car is fine, everyone involved is fine. I am a little achy, but I'm sure it is nothing.

I'm looking forward to the next time it comes up in a meeting so I can say "Been there, done that. It was no big deal, lets move on."

Of course, I'm getting a colonoscopy on Friday. I'll be rear-ended twice in a week!

Glad to hear that everyone is ok. Sounds like you have a great story that will be shared many times for the remainder of your career. 😀

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (8/6/2014)

Stefan Krzywicki (8/6/2014)

Well, it finally happened. I've been threatened with it my entire career. You hear about it in meetings all the time, but you figure it is just hyperbole. Last night on my way home I was hit by a bus.

Glad to hear that everyone is ok. Sounds like you have a great story that will be shared many times for the remainder of your career. 😀

Thanks! And my motto is "If it doesn't kill you, it eventually makes a great story."

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

Sean Lange (8/6/2014)

Thanks! And my motto is "If it doesn't kill you, it eventually makes a great story."

I'm glad to hear that nobody was hurt. Yeah, this is a great story and I'm sure you'll be able to get lots of mileage out of this one for many years to come. My condolences on the colonoscopy.

• Ed Wagner (8/6/2014)

Sean Lange (8/6/2014)

I'm glad to hear that nobody was hurt. Yeah, this is a great story and I'm sure you'll be able to get lots of mileage out of this one for many years to come. My condolences on the colonoscopy.

I will likely leave the colonoscopy out of the story most of the time.

Ed Wagner (8/6/2014)

Sean Lange (8/6/2014)

Good idea. Would hate for your story to be the butt of jokes for weeks afterwards. 😀

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (8/6/2014)

Ed Wagner (8/6/2014)

Sean Lange (8/6/2014)

Good idea. Would hate for your story to be the butt of jokes for weeks afterwards. 😀

Yes, I'm not looking to make an *** of myself.

• Stefan,

Glad to hear everyone is OK. Although after Friday you might be walking funny still!

Yeah I'd defiantly leave that bit out of the story in future. :w00t:

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (8/6/2014)

Stefan,

Glad to hear everyone is OK. Although after Friday you might be walking funny still!

Rodders...

Tomorrow is the really horrible bit. Friday's no big deal. All I can eat tomorrow is clear liquids & chicken broth or bullion. And then... the liquid cleanser.

rodjkidd (8/6/2014)

Stefan,

Rodders...

Tomorrow is the really horrible bit. Friday's no big deal. All I can eat tomorrow is clear liquids & chicken broth or bullion. And then... the liquid cleanser.

And it just gets worse!

• Stefan -

Glad you seem to be OK.

My wife may have some kind of record for being rear ended while stopped.

9 times in a 2 year span.

Still has some issues from one - guy was doing about 40 mph.

Hope your aches are indeed just temporary.

Sheet metal is much easier to fix.

Good story about the other type of rear ending.

My brother in law had a school tour come through to the hospital during one of his.

He was Head of Technology for that school district at the time.

Some good laughs from that one. 😛

• Greg Edwards-268690 (8/6/2014)

Stefan -

Glad you seem to be OK.

My wife may have some kind of record for being rear ended while stopped.

9 times in a 2 year span.

Still has some issues from one - guy was doing about 40 mph.

Hope your aches are indeed just temporary.

Sheet metal is much easier to fix.

Good story about the other type of rear ending.

My brother in law had a school tour come through to the hospital during one of his.

He was Head of Technology for that school district at the time.

Some good laughs from that one. 😛

Well, for your brother in law that must have been ... something.

• A good friend of mine lived with colitis for 20 years and endured enough colonoscopies to feel like an inside-out Kate Moss, along with an assortment of drugs - many of which he complained had left the testing domain a little prematurely. Three years ago he had a colostomy, and two years later at the age of 51 was operated upon to provide him with a J-pouch. It’s given him a completely new lease of life. In his own words, he “feels like a teenager again”. Of course it’s all relative, to how poorly he felt for those twenty years.

Here’s wishing you luck Stefan, and an outcome as positive as my buddy.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Condolences

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Sean Lange (8/6/2014)

Ed Wagner (8/6/2014)

Sean Lange (8/6/2014)

Ha! I see what you did there.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 45,091 through 45,105 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply