Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (4/26/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (4/26/2016)

Ditto and I'll only make one comment on the film, my opinion is that it was S###t

😎

Fixed that for you. 🙂

I loved it. A lot of other people loved it too. You (and others) are welcome to hate it for reasons, that doesn't mean that everyone does or should hate it or that it's universally terrible and without merit.

I liked the choice of Kylo's character. We've seen way too many 'evil and intentionally so and will destroy/rule the galaxy because I can' bad guys. I like the 'evil' character who's following a bad example for really poor reasons. I'm going to be interested to see how the character develops.

Now if he stays whiny and immature for the next two movies, that'll be a disappointment.

I have to admit that I have watched the movie 5 times. The first time, the whiny immature brat didn't bother me so much.

The 2nd and 3rd time it did. Now the bratty behavior is just there.

I wanted to see more with Rey and Luke - so that connection has the next movie very interesting for me.

If Kylo is still a brat, it will be terrible. I hope he matures a bit. Jarjar matured so it is possible for Kylo, right? (I still like JarJar and you can't sway me on that).

In December, Rogue One is supposed to be released. That is supposed to be a bridge between Episodes 3 and 4 - sorta. It's a side story about stealing the death star plans.

All in all, I guess I should step my statement back a notch. I didn't like some very odd story choices (millenial brat, death star approach, and there is one more I will not delve deeply into here), but overall, the movie was good and it progresses at a very fast pace for me. That is a good sign because the 2hrs just zips by, unlike a really bad movie where you check your watch every 2 minutes.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Rumor has it that Lucas was pretty disappointed by the direction as well.

Considering how his vision of the prequels turned out, I'm kinda happy with his disappointment tbh.

^This

Great visionary...Bad director.

SELECT quote FROM brain WHERE original = 1
    0 rows returned

Eirikur Eiriksson (4/26/2016)

Ditto and I'll only make one comment on the film, my opinion is that it was S###t

😎

Fixed that for you. 🙂

I loved it. A lot of other people loved it too. You (and others) are welcome to hate it for reasons, that doesn't mean that everyone does or should hate it or that it's universally terrible and without merit.

I liked the choice of Kylo's character. We've seen way too many 'evil and intentionally so and will destroy/rule the galaxy because I can' bad guys. I like the 'evil' character who's following a bad example for really poor reasons. I'm going to be interested to see how the character develops.

Now if he stays whiny and immature for the next two movies, that'll be a disappointment.

Don't hate it but don't think much of it either, main reason is the un-original "remake" style, almost everything in that script had a Déjà vu touch to it. Companies like Disney should be able to do better.

😎

• SQLRNNR (4/26/2016)

In December, Rogue One is supposed to be released. That is supposed to be a bridge between Episodes 3 and 4 - sorta. It's a side story about stealing the death star plans.

I am so looking forward to that. Must have watched the trailer at least 6 times so far.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • yb751 (4/26/2016)

GilaMonster (4/26/2016)

Rumor has it that Lucas was pretty disappointed by the direction as well.

Considering how his vision of the prequels turned out, I'm kinda happy with his disappointment tbh.

^This

Great visionary...Bad director.

Not true -- American Graffiti is a great film. His problem is more around dialog and characterization. Plus he seems to have lost his touch post-Epi IV when he became heavy into the Skywalker Ranch scene.

And yes yes yes -- if VIII is a bad or mediocre film, that will take VII down with it.

SQLRNNR (4/26/2016)

On the other hand why not try something a little more original?

Nostalgia, among other things. Reassuring audience that they're returning to the 'classic' Star Wars, not following the style in the prequels. Similar enough to A New Hope to be familiar and comfortable, different enough not to be a reboot. But they need to move in a different direction from here. Kylo's arc cannot be the same as Vader's, they're not set up the same way, they cannot play out the same way.

Makes sense. I will agree that they need to pursue a different direction from here. Plagueis would be that very interesting direction with enough of a tie-in to the previous 6 episodes.

Can't wait for R2-D2 to reprise his full commitment to the series. Hopefully contract negotiations work out by the next show so he can play a bigger role. 😀

Learn Extended Events

SQLRNNR (4/26/2016)

The sith lord is Supreme Leader Snoke and suspected to be Darth Plagueis (the one that can create life from death according to Darth Sidious - the apprentice of Plagueis).

If it is Plagueis it'll be a very nice connection.

If you haven't read the (now non-canon) book Darth Plagueis, do so. It's a fascinating story of Sidious's apprenticeship under Plagueis. Gives a much wider view into Sideous's machinations than the prequels did.

I'm going to look into this, the dark side intrigues me.

• BLOB_EATER (4/26/2016)

GilaMonster (4/26/2016)

SQLRNNR (4/26/2016)

The sith lord is Supreme Leader Snoke and suspected to be Darth Plagueis (the one that can create life from death according to Darth Sidious - the apprentice of Plagueis).

If you haven't read the (now non-canon) book Darth Plagueis, do so. It's a fascinating story of Sidious's apprenticeship under Plagueis. Gives a much wider view into Sideous's machinations than the prequels did.

In that case, I'll recommend the title "Bane" too (the story of Darth Bane, the Sith Lord who instituted the Rule of Two after seeing in-fighting destroy the Sith Order that trained him)

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Episode VII is too dependent on nostalgia. Most of us were there to see what happened with beloved characters from the original trilogy and identified lots of similarities with the original films.

IMO, the film is mediocre as a single movie, but could be evaluated better as part of the larger universe.

I hope that Kylo matures, but I'd love too see how the other characters evolve as well.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

SQLRNNR (4/26/2016)

I am so looking forward to that. Must have watched the trailer at least 6 times so far.

The first time I saw the trailer, it stopped me dead in my tracks. My wife and I were heading into the theatre a few minutes late. It didn't matter - the trailer was superb and attention grabbing.

Learn Extended Events

BLOB_EATER (4/26/2016)

GilaMonster (4/26/2016)

SQLRNNR (4/26/2016)

In that case, I'll recommend the title "Bane" too (the story of Darth Bane, the Sith Lord who instituted the Rule of Two after seeing in-fighting destroy the Sith Order that trained him)

Which book covers Darth Millennial the founder of the "Prophets of the Dark Side"?

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (4/26/2016)

Can't wait for R2-D2 to reprise his full commitment to the series. Hopefully contract negotiations work out by the next show so he can play a bigger role. 😀

Maybe he should get C-3PO to negotiate. He is fluent in a few more languages than R2-D2. 😀

Gail Shaw

• The Darth Plagueis to Darth Sidious connection is absolutely fascinating to me and I'm very glad they continued that part of the story.

I didn't particularly like Kylo Ren very much because of the adolescent attitude, but I didn't let him ruin the whole story. My daughter, on the other hand, is very disappointed that he took his mask off in the same move when he first appeared. Granted, she isn't old enough to remember the 2-year wait between the previous movies, but still thought there should have been more mystery around him. As has been pointed out already, if JarJar can mature, there's hope for any character.

IMO, Rey is the real winner for character development in this film. The scene on top of the mountain with Luke could go anywhere. There's so many different directions they can go in and so much they could do with her that I'll be very interested in it. The ending with Luke's appearance made for a great cliffhanger and hook for the next movie, but seriously - Mark had no lines at all! Yes, it piqued interest and it worked.

• Wonder if I should answer: "Using INSERT statements"

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1781117-1550-1.aspx

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (4/26/2016)

Wonder if I should answer: "Using INSERT statements"

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1781117-1550-1.aspx

Well, you would be correct. Tell them to create the table first. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 53,776 through 53,790 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply