Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Ed Wagner (5/6/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (5/6/2016)

Ever have one of those emergency "everything's down", only it's in Test/UAT. But it's still urgent because we're on a deadline to upgrade.

And, oh, we have some data fixes to push to production (haven't you done that yet?) and don't forget to create the backup plan for test in case a server / database goes down, and why haven't I fixed that log shipping issue in QA yet? And...

<headdesk>

Not since just now. Test is having a problem and half the people who know anything are out of the office. You missed the #, so I'll add it for you with vigor - #HeadDesk x3!

Yes, all week.

Monday = 2 AM call, server is dead. The box is a one-node cluster. Yep. One-node physical cluster.

Go to sleep, this isn't client facing, and even though it's prod, it's not anything that can't wait till I am coherent.

Au contraire! There are SSRS database's on this box, and the reports that run through the client facing application live on this server. Uh, when did you do that???

Restore SSRS database to another server that's actually a three node cluster, get the firewall rules in place, everything works. The down server is finally back alive. All is well in the world, but we need to act fast because it's gonna fail again.

Tuesday = 5 AM this time, server is now completely dead. The local disks and disk controller had completely died. Strange.

Yep, it's the beginning of the month and the financial data for reporting lives here. Uh, when did this go there?

New server, databases all restored, but the SSIS package that moves the data from Oracle and CRM isn't really in source control, and nobody really knows where all the parts and pieces live. Hack/crack/patch/ all day, it's finally in place, but it's not connecting to Oracle. Nobody else seems too concerned at 7 PM when I'm here alone.

Wednesday = Figure the Oracle connection out. Wrong driver. Dev and QA are different. They actually do not work either. It's finally running! All is well in the world once more. I leave to go to my golf league.

Thursday = It's working, but performance stinks. Add CPU's to VM, add RAM to VM, start digging.......

Friday = This package runs each hour and it takes almost an hour. Gee, it's only getting 25 new rows and updating about 40 rows every hour in the main fact tables. Dig deeper. And deeper. Well, all of the statements are using the MERGE operator, and are only joining on the int primary keys.

Yep, it's updating every single column for every single row in every single table in the entire database.

At least it's Friday.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• WayneS (5/6/2016)

33 years... wow. I sure hope that you have been quite happy with them.

Well there have been ups and downs but I weathered the storms and even survived some of the culls (I even volunteered once but they refused point blank :laugh: )

Yes I am quite happy and very fortunate, I love my job, I am a developer so my work is diverse.

I am the closest thing to a DBA the company has. :blink:

I have always been fair with the company but will fight my corner and I make that clear to my bosses.

Ed Wagner (5/6/2016)

If not, he's got to be one the angriest people alive. 😛

That might be a matter of opinion, I can get quite heated and vehement in meetings.

One of my old bosses used to call me his pitbull, any problem with a user he would send me. :pinch:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Michael L John (5/6/2016)

Ed Wagner (5/6/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (5/6/2016)

Ever have one of those emergency "everything's down", only it's in Test/UAT. But it's still urgent because we're on a deadline to upgrade.

And, oh, we have some data fixes to push to production (haven't you done that yet?) and don't forget to create the backup plan for test in case a server / database goes down, and why haven't I fixed that log shipping issue in QA yet? And...

<headdesk>

Not since just now. Test is having a problem and half the people who know anything are out of the office. You missed the #, so I'll add it for you with vigor - #HeadDesk x3!

Yes, all week.

Monday = 2 AM call, server is dead. The box is a one-node cluster. Yep. One-node physical cluster.

Go to sleep, this isn't client facing, and even though it's prod, it's not anything that can't wait till I am coherent.

Au contraire! There are SSRS database's on this box, and the reports that run through the client facing application live on this server. Uh, when did you do that???

Restore SSRS database to another server that's actually a three node cluster, get the firewall rules in place, everything works. The down server is finally back alive. All is well in the world, but we need to act fast because it's gonna fail again.

Tuesday = 5 AM this time, server is now completely dead. The local disks and disk controller had completely died. Strange.

Yep, it's the beginning of the month and the financial data for reporting lives here. Uh, when did this go there?

New server, databases all restored, but the SSIS package that moves the data from Oracle and CRM isn't really in source control, and nobody really knows where all the parts and pieces live. Hack/crack/patch/ all day, it's finally in place, but it's not connecting to Oracle. Nobody else seems too concerned at 7 PM when I'm here alone.

Wednesday = Figure the Oracle connection out. Wrong driver. Dev and QA are different. They actually do not work either. It's finally running! All is well in the world once more. I leave to go to my golf league.

Thursday = It's working, but performance stinks. Add CPU's to VM, add RAM to VM, start digging.......

Friday = This package runs each hour and it takes almost an hour. Gee, it's only getting 25 new rows and updating about 40 rows every hour in the main fact tables. Dig deeper. And deeper. Well, all of the statements are using the MERGE operator, and are only joining on the int primary keys.

Yep, it's updating every single column for every single row in every single table in the entire database.

At least it's Friday.

That sounds like a worse week than most, or at least I hope it was. I hope you made pretty pictures of the servers, how they connect and where things run. At least it won't be such a fishing expedition to find all the moving parts next time. It also sounds like you have a communication problem on your hands if you don't know where things run.

Here's hoping this week is better for you.

• Ed Wagner (5/6/2016)

WayneS (5/6/2016)

David Burrows (5/6/2016)

Grumpy DBA (5/4/2016)

^ I agree with Brandie. Matter of fact that's how I came to my current employer, a former colleague has been here for 8 years and enjoys it. Good work-life balance, on-call is not too stressful (my previous employer's on-call was pure hell), good cohesive team and manager (previous employer: the manager was a 40 year employee and riding it out, didn't give a crap about the team and how dysfunctional it was), workload and new technology is enough to keep things interesting but not overwhelming, really good benefits. Four months in and I am happier than I have been in many years.

When I was made redundant and looking for another job, found one that seemed to be a good fit but was gazumped by another ex colleague with a gift of the gab but was all mouth and no trousers. Eventually followed another colleague to my current company and been with them for 33 years and quite happy to boot 🙂

33 years... wow. I sure hope that you have been quite happy with them.

If not, he's got to be one the angriest people alive. 😛

I was with one employer for 15 years and like it most of the time. The stress got to be a killer near the end, so I parted ways amicably. It was hard to do and involved short-term pain for a long-term gain.

14 years at my previous employer before it got to where I had to bail out.

Various and sundry things all started coming to a head, with no reasonable solution rearing it's head, so I pulled my ripcord and bailed.

Now I was recently chatting with a former co-worker and they're getting ready to bail out, from the sounds of it it's pretty much stayed the same if not gotten a bit worse since I left.

Frankly, for various reasons, I've been happy with the new job, and not unhappy that my previous employer has a "no backsies" policy as it removed the temptation to try to go back if things didn't work out.

• Who needs a desk when one can bang ones head against this?

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (5/9/2016)

Who needs a desk when one can bang ones head against this?

😎

Occam's razor clearly does not apply in this case. Instead, perhaps, there has been a great disturbance in The Force, which has somehow affected selected SSMS installs.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (5/9/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (5/9/2016)

😎

Occam's razor clearly does not apply in this case. Instead, perhaps, there has been a great disturbance in The Force, which has somehow affected selected SSMS installs.

I'll give it a go, but I'm not sure I'll be able to help. The OP seems stuck on SSMS being defective. We'll see.

• Ed Wagner (5/9/2016)

Phil Parkin (5/9/2016)

😎

I'll give it a go, but I'm not sure I'll be able to help. The OP seems stuck on SSMS being defective. We'll see.

Oy! SSMS IS defective, thank you very much.

It still hasn't crunched those winning lottery ticket numbers despite 10 years of me running that script.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (5/9/2016)

Ed Wagner (5/9/2016)

Phil Parkin (5/9/2016)

😎

Oy! SSMS IS defective, thank you very much.

It still hasn't crunched those winning lottery ticket numbers despite 10 years of me running that script.

Check your use of DBCC TIMEWARP. If you jump to the wrong point in the future to retrieve the numbers, you'll have the right numbers for the wrong date. I wonder what GETDATE() will return in the future and if that value will persist when you return to the present. Then again, maybe getting the numbers from the future changes that event when it eventually does occur. :hehe:

• So I brought back some yummy foods from New Orleans. I got some crawfish and pork sausage, some gator and pork sausage and a couple gator fillets. This was all frozen so transporting it was pretty simple. My youngest (who is a fairly picky eater) is getting super mad at me because he REALLY wants to try gator. I am going to grind up the gator with some pork belly and render it in bacon fat. Then make some sliders and put them on the smoker.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (5/9/2016)

So I brought back some yummy foods from New Orleans. I got some crawfish and pork sausage, some gator and pork sausage and a couple gator fillets. This was all frozen so transporting it was pretty simple. My youngest (who is a fairly picky eater) is getting super mad at me because he REALLY wants to try gator. I am going to grind up the gator with some pork belly and render it in bacon fat. Then make some sliders and put them on the smoker.

That sounds excellent. My daughter used to be very finicky as well - she absolutely hated onions. Here's the approach I used and the result.

One day, I made pasta with fennel, onions, extra virgin olive oil and (of course) garlic. She loved it. She asked why the celery (which was really fennel) had a different flavor, but never even noticed the onions. She was surprised to find out just how many onions where in the dish. The story was to share a pivotal moment in her life. She was so open to new foods at that moment and the ensuing discussion and curiosity started a love of food and cooking. She wasn't quite five years old at the time. Now, she loves to cook (and has gotten pretty good at it) and also likes to try new things.

I hope it goes as well with your son.

• Oh lordy....here is a discussion on another forum from earlier today.

OP:

My SQL update string looks like this: "UPDATE " + tableName + " SET ??? = " + "'" + newVal + "'" + " WHERE [UserName] = " + id; and as you can see I have no idea what to write instead of the "???".

Me:

Your sql string looks very suspicious. Have you ever heard about sql injection? You might want to read up about it as your code looks wide open.

OP:

@SeanLange, heard about it, didn't try it. ill check that out. is there a way using SQL injection?

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (5/9/2016)

Oh lordy....here is a discussion on another forum from earlier today.

OP:

My SQL update string looks like this: "UPDATE " + tableName + " SET ??? = " + "'" + newVal + "'" + " WHERE [UserName] = " + id; and as you can see I have no idea what to write instead of the "???".

Me:

Your sql string looks very suspicious. Have you ever heard about sql injection? You might want to read up about it as your code looks wide open.

OP:

@SeanLange, heard about it, didn't try it. ill check that out. is there a way using SQL injection?

Oh my. It sounds like they need to step away from the database and go home.

• Sean Lange (5/9/2016)

OP:

Me:

OP:

/my eye start twitching

Maybe this guy interviewed with Jeff Moden?

• Sean Lange (5/9/2016)

OP:

Me:

OP:

Sean,

You had a really good response there.

It's just too bad that the OP just got a -500,000,000 for that response. (Wow... just wow!)

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 53,971 through 53,985 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply