Are the posted questions getting worse?

• BLOB_EATER (5/13/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (5/13/2016)

BLOB_EATER (5/13/2016)

This is what probed my question...

YIKES!

I hope Microsoft at least thanked you for submitting to that probe.

Or maybe the company's been taken over by aliens... Tell me, BE, have you been abducted recently? Seen any strange lights?

Well, I'll be honest now, after 5 interviews rounds with them which ended in a "no" I saw more than lights.... :crazy:

HA! I knew it!

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• BLOB_EATER (5/13/2016)

BLOB_EATER (5/13/2016)

YIKES!

Or maybe the company's been taken over by aliens... Tell me, BE, have you been abducted recently? Seen any strange lights?

Well, I'll be honest now, after 5 interviews rounds with them which ended in a "no" I saw more than lights.... :crazy:

And I bet they never bought you dinner or sent you flowers...

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Brandie Tarvin (5/13/2016)

BLOB_EATER (5/13/2016)

BLOB_EATER (5/13/2016)

YIKES!

HA! I knew it!

Those visions and the "probe" feeling lasted a while...

• ThomasRushton (5/13/2016)

BLOB_EATER (5/13/2016)

BLOB_EATER (5/13/2016)

YIKES!

Funny enough it was me chasing them on feedback, like a teenage boy trying to make contact with that girl across the classroom.... awkward.

• So at the Detroit SQL PASS meeting last night, got to put faces to the names of those shining beacons of SQL knowledge and all things pork chop launching, Ed Wagner and Jeff Moden!

While they did go out afterwards, I declined that invite (and with what the weather got like, guys, I'm kind of glad I did!) perhaps next time!

• jasona.work (5/13/2016)

So at the Detroit SQL PASS meeting last night, got to put faces to the names of those shining beacons of SQL knowledge and all things pork chop launching, Ed Wagner and Jeff Moden!

While they did go out afterwards, I declined that invite (and with what the weather got like, guys, I'm kind of glad I did!) perhaps next time!

It was nice meeting you as well. It's always nice to put a face with a name.

• BLOB_EATER (5/13/2016)

ThomasRushton (5/13/2016)

BLOB_EATER (5/13/2016)

BLOB_EATER (5/13/2016)

YIKES!

Funny enough it was me chasing them on feedback, like a teenage boy trying to make contact with that girl across the classroom.... awkward.

Hmm. You're not the first person who's said similar to me about the interview process at MS...

...unless you're a pseudonym of the chap who told me about it a few weeks ago!

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• ThomasRushton (5/13/2016)

BLOB_EATER (5/13/2016)

ThomasRushton (5/13/2016)

BLOB_EATER (5/13/2016)

BLOB_EATER (5/13/2016)

YIKES!

Hmm. You're not the first person who's said similar to me about the interview process at MS...

...unless you're a pseudonym of the chap who told me about it a few weeks ago!

haha. Wasn't me, however the canteen is amazing!

• For those who hadn't heard, THIS happened.

Yay.

EDIT: I should add I'm not trying to start a debate. I just wanted to pass along the news.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

For those who hadn't heard, THIS happened.

Yay.

EDIT: I should add I'm not trying to start a debate. I just wanted to pass along the news.

Yay.

IMHO people should use the bathroom that matches their parts. The whole nonsense of identity is rubbish. We are setting our children up to see things they shouldn't be seeing on other students when people with mismatched parts are using the same bathroom. To be honest what is going to happen as a result of this absurd legislation is we are going to see group bathrooms disappear. All restrooms will be gender neutral but only have enough space for 1 person.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Chad Crawford (5/12/2016)

BLOB_EATER (5/12/2016)

Is it wrong that I no longer have the desire to do SQL certification exams? Do I need to look in the mirror and slap myself very hard?

Don't get me wrong I am super motivated on learning, but, the MCSE doesn't mean much to me anymore....... Oh man where is my mentor! :ermm:

I have a somewhat different opinion than the others that have been expressed, so I guess I'll chime in. I enjoy working on the certifications and feel that they do have benefit. For me, it provides the structure to ensure that I understand the breadth of what SQL Server has to offer, rather than just rehashing the pieces I'm responsible for and use on a daily basis. Studying for and passing the exams doesn't make me an expert in every area, but if someone comes with an architecture question I have enough of a grasp of what is possible that I can tell them "XXXXX may be a solution, let me do some research and experimentation to be sure and get back with you".

When reviewing candidates for a position, I think of certifications as one leg on a four legged stool. The other three legs are experience, education and community (blog/forum/twitter/etc.). If you only have one of the four, I can't be certain what you can really do until I get to know you better. If you have 10 year’s experience, it could be that those 10 years are "1 year repeated 10 times" and you really don't know much. If you only have the cert... well, anyone can pass a test and if you don't have experience to lend it credibility it may be that you don't know the material well. If you have a master's degree but no experience, there's a chance you have no idea how to actually implement the things you've learned in the real world. If you have two of the four, it lends some credibility to both - for example it's harder to conclude that you don't know anything if you have both experience and an education or a wealth of good blog posts and a certification. If you have three of the four I still may not have a good handle on what you can do, but I know that you must have at least some skill to have successfully put them all together. When people ask me about certification I encourage them to go for it, but I also teach them that they need to be working on the other legs at the same time to lend it credibility.

Now as a counterpoint, I have a former coworker who stated that he automatically roundfiles (throws away) any resume that has a cert listed on it. That's his viewpoint and he is entitled to it. I disagree and he respects that... at least a little bit :-).

My cert expires at the end of the year and I plan to renew during Q3.

Chad

Well put, Chad. I tend to agree with you.

• Sean Lange (5/13/2016)

Yay.

IMHO people should use the bathroom that matches their parts. The whole nonsense of identity is rubbish. We are setting our children up to see things they shouldn't be seeing on other students when people with mismatched parts are using the same bathroom. To be honest what is going to happen as a result of this absurd legislation is we are going to see group bathrooms disappear. All restrooms will be gender neutral but only have enough space for 1 person.

As a child I never saw someone else's bits in the bathroom - but then, I wasn't looking under cubicle doors :-p

As an adult...can you imagine if you were a transwoman and had to use the mens bathroom? They get so much abuse as it is.

• I posted a couple thoughts about Spam - I was wondering what other people's thoughts were:

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Sean Lange (5/13/2016)

Yay.

Young people have a tough enough time of it as it is. Imagine this: girls bathroom in high school, half a dozen excitable and sensitive girls pottering about with makeup and chatting about dates and in walks a hairy-arsed bloke like he owns the place, leaves the cubicle door open and pees all over the seat.

Look after your minorities for sure, but not at the expense of your majorities.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Viewing 15 posts - 54,091 through 54,105 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply