Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin (6/1/2016)

I am having the worst time today reaching the forums via Internet Explorer. It just hangs and hangs.

Anyway, has anyone heard about the latest data breach? I know I'm not affected. I do hope no one here is.

Oh no MySpace!!!! Gosh that is funny. Interesting that they maintained so much data for people who haven't been there in a decade or more. 😀

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (6/1/2016)

I have to admit that I have seen very little spam over the last several days. I am guessing that Steve and the team either got something else in place or the idiots decided to move on. That isn't to say it is all gone, and probably never will be. But it is nice to have our little corner of the interwebs back again. 😀

Or maybe 'Kitchen Fitters London UK' just got so much extra business that they've had to ease up on advertising while they fulfil it 😀

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

I am having the worst time today reaching the forums via Internet Explorer. It just hangs and hangs.

Anyway, has anyone heard about the latest data breach? I know I'm not affected. I do hope no one here is.

Sadly, peoples personal data is probably the most valuable asset they have left. I just can't comprehend how they are still a thing!?!

SELECT quote FROM brain WHERE original = 1
    0 rows returned

• Sean Lange (6/1/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (6/1/2016)

Oh no MySpace!!!! Gosh that is funny. Interesting that they maintained so much data for people who haven't been there in a decade or more. 😀

Not necessarily. It's not a recent data breech, it's just that it's come to light recently.

Troy dated it to sometime in 2008. https://www.troyhunt.com/dating-the-ginormous-myspace-breach/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Sean Lange (6/1/2016)

I have to admit that I have seen very little spam over the last several days. I am guessing that Steve and the team either got something else in place or the idiots decided to move on. That isn't to say it is all gone, and probably never will be. But it is nice to have our little corner of the interwebs back again. 😀

Some tuning of the filter, but no, nothing much else new. I did watch over the weekend and clean a bunch in the early am.

• yb751 (6/1/2016)

Christmas in June!!!

The purchase of some Red Gate tools finally got approved by my boss. 😀

Feels like I've been begging forever. I'm not trying to promote those tools over any other ones mind you. However, I will say that the tools I did demo were very intuitive and I was able to put them to good use right away.

In retrospect, not having some of these types of tools at first probably helped me in the long run though. Had to learn to do some things the old fashioned way. lol

Yeah. Good to hear, and let us know what things you want improved. There is some movement and refocus to update and improve the tools here and there, outside of the big work on Compare and Monitor.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/1/2016)

yb751 (6/1/2016)

Christmas in June!!!

Feels like I've been begging forever. I'm not trying to promote those tools over any other ones mind you. However, I will say that the tools I did demo were very intuitive and I was able to put them to good use right away.

In retrospect, not having some of these types of tools at first probably helped me in the long run though. Had to learn to do some things the old fashioned way. lol

Yeah. Good to hear, and let us know what things you want improved. There is some movement and refocus to update and improve the tools here and there, outside of the big work on Compare and Monitor.

I'm guessing you probably can't mention anything about the 'big work' on Monitor but I will mention the same thing I told the sales rep. I do wish there was a little more focus on SQL Azure (PaaS). I realize that there are no exposed perfmon metrics/WMI on that platform but you already query DMV's on local instances so why not on Azure? That would be my only gripe but overall I'm pretty happy thus far. SQL Compare has been an absolute joy!

SELECT quote FROM brain WHERE original = 1
    0 rows returned

• Any Threadizens in the Moab, UT area, please PM regarding a non SQL question.

• yb751 (6/1/2016)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/1/2016)

yb751 (6/1/2016)

Christmas in June!!!

I'm guessing you probably can't mention anything about the 'big work' on Monitor but I will mention the same thing I told the sales rep. I do wish there was a little more focus on SQL Azure (PaaS). I realize that there are no exposed perfmon metrics/WMI on that platform but you already query DMV's on local instances so why not on Azure? That would be my only gripe but overall I'm pretty happy thus far. SQL Compare has been an absolute joy!

I'm interested. What would you want to see for Azure monitoring? DTU certainly, but you can get that from the portal. What else?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• You know what's annoying?

When you're reading something, think of something (maybe related, maybe not) that you want to look up, and in the time it took to open a new browser tab you've already forgotten what you wanted to look up...

• jasona.work (6/1/2016)

You know what's annoying?

When you're reading something, think of something (maybe related, maybe not) that you want to look up, and in the time it took to open a new browser tab you've already forgotten what you wanted to look up...

Squirrel!

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• 2016 RTM is available on MSDN ...

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

reaching the forums via Internet Explorer.

Well jeez, there's your problem right there!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Grant Fritchey (6/1/2016)

jasona.work (6/1/2016)

Squirrel!

What?!? Where where where where???

• jasona.work (6/1/2016)

Grant Fritchey (6/1/2016)

jasona.work (6/1/2016)

Squirrel!

What?!? Where where where where???

Behind you! Wait, to your right! No, no, behind you!

Viewing 15 posts - 54,376 through 54,390 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply