Are the posted questions getting worse?

• djj (9/8/2016)

However, we have a couple of people that are of the old school "wait for the first service pack" that now with no service packs say "it is too new/unproven".

That attitude needs to go!

It took about a year for SQL 2014 to get a service pack, and iirc it had a nasty bug in it (or was that 2012 SP1?). A service pack is no guarantee of the product being bug free, and I'd argue with the number of people who hammered at the CTPs and RCs, it's more likely that an unspotted bug shows up in a SP (which the MVPs get maybe a week before release) than in the initial release (which we were hammering at for months).

Besides, the first CU is out, and the CUs now have the same language about applying them as SPs used to.

I'll be surprised if we have SP1 for 2016 available before July next year.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I just received an email announcing that SQL Sentry's Plan Explorer PRO is now free! See this blog post[/url] for more details.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Grant Fritchey (9/8/2016)

GilaMonster (9/8/2016)

djj (9/8/2016)

rodjkidd (9/8/2016)

SQLRNNR (9/7/2016)

rodjkidd (9/7/2016)

Simple things etc as they say...

Just used Drop Table If Exists for the first time... I had a little smile to myself.... ๐Ÿ™‚

Rodders...

It really is a nice addition. Not earth shattering for a feature but it sure is nice.

I agree - just pleased I remembered that I was on a 2016 instance, test, no 2016 prod servers here, and I could do that.

Rodders...

Been looking at 2016, and as I am no expert, what would be the reason for upgrading from 2008r2 to 2016 versus say 2014?

Query Store, Query Store, Query Store and Query Store

The other features and the overall speed improvements are also nice. The work needed to upgrade is the same whether 2014 or 2016, so no good reason to upgrade to something 2 years old.

This is double-extra true because 2014 or 2016, you have to deal with the new Cardinality Estimator and that's the biggest pain point for most people during the upgrade. Why not deal with that pain and get Query Store in the bargain instead of just dealing with the pain?

Since whether the new CE is used is based upon the database compatibility level, one of the recommended upgrade things to do is to upgrade to 2016, but leave the database in the older compatibility level. Turn on Query Store, and gather how your querys work now. Then update the compatibility level to use the new CE, and if you have queries with worse performance, you can use Query Store to force the query to use the older CE's execution plan that Query Store saved. So, not only can you get Query Store in the bargain, but you can use it to resolve your pain!

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Grant Fritchey (9/8/2016)

djj (9/8/2016)

rodjkidd (9/8/2016)

SQLRNNR (9/7/2016)

rodjkidd (9/7/2016)

Just used Drop Table If Exists for the first time... I had a little smile to myself.... ๐Ÿ™‚

Rodders...

It really is a nice addition. Not earth shattering for a feature but it sure is nice.

I agree - just pleased I remembered that I was on a 2016 instance, test, no 2016 prod servers here, and I could do that.

Rodders...

Been looking at 2016, and as I am no expert, what would be the reason for upgrading from 2008r2 to 2016 versus say 2014?

Query Store.

Extreme AG enhancements including a watered down AG in Standard edition.

RLS

Columnstore enhancements

native JSON

temporal

Other general performance enhancing features that are not legal for Olympians.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (9/8/2016)

Grant Fritchey (9/8/2016)

djj (9/8/2016)

rodjkidd (9/8/2016)

SQLRNNR (9/7/2016)

rodjkidd (9/7/2016)

Rodders...

Rodders...

Query Store.

Extreme AG enhancements including a watered down AG in Standard edition.

RLS

Columnstore enhancements

native JSON

temporal

Yeah, exactly, Query Store.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Other general performance enhancing features that are not legal for Olympians.

SOM ๐Ÿ˜€

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• If any of you carnivores haven't tried "lacquered" bacon, you're missing a treat!

Edited to add:

You can't divide by zero...

You can't divide by zeroooooooo....

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• The Dixie Flatline (9/8/2016)

SOM ๐Ÿ˜€

Glad you liked it.:-D

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

If any of you carnivores haven't tried "lacquered" bacon, you're missing a treat!

Edited to add:

Godwin's Law has been invoked. If he hadn't lost the argument before, he has now.

What's lacquered bacon?

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    โ€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• BWFC (9/9/2016)

Godwin's Law has been invoked. If he hadn't lost the argument before, he has now.

Wow; never thought I'd see the day on a database forum.

If any of you carnivores haven't tried "lacquered" bacon, you're missing a treat!

Edited to add:

And scalar UDFs are not faster than built-in functions.

Edit: And my desktop is not very happy about crunching 100 million rows. Good thing I upgraded the memory the other week (32GB on a gaming/dev/writing desktop!)

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• I've been following that thread since it started - fascinating. I'll give him full marks for determination ("Tis but a scratch" type of determination), but I'm so glad I'm not working with him.

Steve Hall
    Linkedin
    Blog Site

• BrainDonor (9/9/2016)

I've been following that thread since it started - fascinating. I'll give him full marks for determination ("Tis but a scratch" type of determination), but I'm so glad I'm not working with him.

OK. share.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (9/9/2016)

BrainDonor (9/9/2016)

I've been following that thread since it started - fascinating. I'll give him full marks for determination ("Tis but a scratch" type of determination), but I'm so glad I'm not working with him.

OK. share.

If you insist: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1815214-392-1.aspx

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (9/9/2016)

Grant Fritchey (9/9/2016)

BrainDonor (9/9/2016)

OK. share.

If you insist: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1815214-392-1.aspx

Ah, the joys of being stupid (and I mean me), I can just walk away from something like this whistling.

:Whistling:

Viewing 15 posts - 55,696 through 55,710 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply