Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Okay, post a question then a few minutes later post an "answer" that they say works and not to post to that thread. Fine, except what was posted doesn't solve the problem posted.

Just had to post the right answer.

• Lynn Pettis (10/3/2016)

Okay, post a question then a few minutes later post an "answer" that they say works and not to post to that thread. Fine, except what was posted doesn't solve the problem posted.

Just had to post the right answer.

I saw the thread. At least he tried.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • We aren't the only site getting hit. The following was in the Code Project EMail newsletter I get:

It's been a messy week with the spammers trying to muddy up the boards, but I'm guessing most readers would never have noticed a thing. Dozens of our higher-level members have been working overtime to help block and remove this nuisance and so we wanted to say thank you. What's impressed me the most is the care they take in ensuring it's spam, and not merely a misguided post. False positives happen but are rare, and that takes a lot of work.

• Okay, we run our dataloads through a third party software that takes a config file with the processes to run and any parameters required for procedures. One of the procedures takes a string that contains a comma-separated list of integers, and the config contained a single integer, but we needed to add another value. I specifically told them that they would have to pass it in as a single string containing a comma separated list, but they just added the value without making it a string, so now the second value is being passed as the value for the second optional parameter which says where to restart that process if we have to restart for some reason, and of course the value is such that it skips everything. And they wonder why the procedure no longer works. SMH.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Ed Wagner (10/3/2016)

WayneS (9/30/2016)

SQLRNNR (9/30/2016)

WayneS (9/30/2016)

GilaMonster (9/30/2016)

WayneS (9/30/2016)

Oh, what a fun day this is turning out to be. (Check out the attachment)

Whaaaaaa???

How many sessions involved there?

666 sessions

This appears to be related to an auto-update stats kicking off.

had to fix the typo

ROFL

That is, without a doubt, the busiest deadlock graph I've ever seen. I guess it provides some perspective the next time I look at one in my environment.

I had to look at the graph when my shredder script took > 2 minutes to shred this one.

Which brings up... anyone know how to optimize xquery?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• What ever happened to basic problem solving skills?

What ever happened to basic problem solving skills?

Why would want something like that? It's overrated. Especially when you have a bunch of experts at your service handling crystal balls.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Basic Problem Solving Skills checklist:

1. post issue on SQL Server Central without examples or all the details

2. if you don't get satisfaction there, post in another forum on the site

3. if there is still no satisfaction, post on another website

4. repeat until you finally get a solution.

5. don't thank anyone for their help.

-SQLBill

• SQLBill (10/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (10/3/2016)

-SQLBill

You forgot the sporadic interviews for high paying Senior DBA positions while waiting for someone to answer the question for you. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (10/3/2016)

SQLBill (10/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (10/3/2016)

-SQLBill

You forgot the sporadic interviews for high paying Senior DBA positions while waiting for someone to answer the question for you. 😛

I want a high paying Senior DBA position, just don't want to move at the moment.

Oh, my daughter, the one going to college in Providence RI, can't see me living any where but here in Colorado. Says I'd miss the mountains too much and would lose my sense of direction.

...just don't want to move at the moment.

Seems odd to hear you say that since you voluntarily re-upped for your overseas gig in the past, IIRC.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (10/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (10/3/2016)

...just don't want to move at the moment.

Seems odd to hear you say that since you voluntarily re-upped for your overseas gig in the past, IIRC.

That was different, I still knew I was coming home to Colorado. That was NOT a permanent move and I would willing go back to Afghanistan for a 6 (maybe 8) month deployment. In the end, I come back here.

Oh, and I extended twice over there because I was working on the assumption when I came home it would be to unemployment, not a continuing position with my company (that was a welcome treat).

Now, consider this, I have been looking at ex-pat retirement as a possibility when I finally decide to retire (which will most like be when I am 70 or older).

• Luis Cazares (10/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (10/3/2016)

Why would want something like that? It's overrated. Especially when you have a bunch of experts at your service handling crystal balls.

Is that anything like Goldmember[/url]?

I'll get my helmet.

• Well, it seems my personal laptop has bought the farm...

A couple months back, the battery wouldn't hold enough of a charge to keep the laptop on, closely followed by the power switch being "wonky" and not always working...

This afternoon, it seems, the power switch has said "I'm dead."

So now I'm trying to decide if I want to think about getting another laptop, or go to something a bit more portable like a Surface Pro. Regardless, right now, any replacement is on hold for a couple months...

At least for SQL stuff, I've got my home lab to putter around with and my desktop PC.

• Any upgrades available for the Crystal Ball?

😎

Viewing 15 posts - 56,041 through 56,055 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply