Are the posted questions getting worse?

• drew.allen (10/5/2016)

Hugo Kornelis (10/5/2016)

drew.allen (10/5/2016)

With my first article for SSC accepted for publishing, I've already written a second (unrelated) article. I'd like to have a couple of people review it.

What is the subject of the article?

It's on working with intervals, mostly datetime intervals. The first article is mostly definitions and terms.

Drew

That's a good subject. I'll volunteer for the review, if you want to.

Warning: My review style is brutal. Ask Grant if you don't believe me. I am nitpicking to the extreme, and I make no attempts at all to spare your feelings.

I also cannot commit to any timeline as I have a lot going on (and some of it is even paid, so that obviously gets priority ๐Ÿ™‚ )

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Ed Wagner (10/5/2016)

Sean Lange (10/5/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (10/5/2016)

george sibbald (10/5/2016)

Lynn Pettis (10/5/2016)

george sibbald (10/5/2016)

well that's me done. I retire today so this will be my last post.

I made it into the top 30 posters at one point so I did my bit.

Enjoy the rest of your careers, take the job seriously but not yourselves.

cheers

George

Congrats, George.

Just because you are retiring doesn't mean you have to leave The Thread. You are always welcome here and at the TitD. The Hippo will always let you in.

OK, that wasn't my last post, this is, just a thanks for all the replies. I intend to be a house husband so I had better learn how to cook, and of course there is golf to take up as well.

I may well be loitering outside the tent.

Good luck, looks like you are going to be busy;-)

๐Ÿ˜Ž

BTW, there are sometimes "amazing" cooking advises on the Thread so stay tuned.

Happy retirement George!!!!

I have to admit to being one of those who dive into the cooking discussions pretty frequently. I worked as a chef in my first career for right around a decade so I do tend to venture into that conversation when they show up.

I am currently working on my second attempt at curing my own bacon. Will post an update next week and let you all know how it comes out. As of this morning I can already tell the cure is going to be MUCH better than my original attempt.

And I'm one who dives into those conversations with Sean. ๐Ÿ˜€

And so am I, particularly on conversations about curing and smoking. Although I've not had time to do much of either recently.

Enjoy retirement George, it's something that seems a long way away to me right now :crazy:

One of the reasons I've not had much time for curing and smoking recently is that I've been training for this[/url]. It's my first marathon and I'm running in aid of the Brain Tumour Charity. I've no targets apart from don't be last and raise some cash. If anybody would like to sponsor me, you can donate here. Cheeky I know but if you don't ask you don't get :-D.

And finally, is anybody going to be at SQL Relay in Leeds tomorrow?

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    โ€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• drew.allen (10/5/2016)

With my first article for SSC accepted for publishing, I've already written a second (unrelated) article. I'd like to have a couple of people review it.

This article is meant to be part of a series of articles. Any recommendations on whether to complete all the articles before submitting them or submitting them as I complete them? Also, is there a way to share an unpublished article with potential reviewers?

Drew

Well done, Drew. Your first article is well-written and an excellent subject choice too. I'm sure the others will be of the same very high standard.

โ€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.โ€ - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• BWFC (10/6/2016)

And finally, is anybody going to be at SQL Relay in Leeds tomorrow?

Yes. See you there!

John

• Matt Miller (#4) (10/5/2016)

drew.allen (10/5/2016)

And now we're getting blatantly fraudulent spam. :angry:

Yes - my initial reaction was that it was a poorly planned sting operation. Answer here for your complementary visit by homeland security or the favorite law enforcement organization within your home country :w00t:

What did it say?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Luis Cazares (10/5/2016)

Brandie (and possibly others), take care. Let's hope that Matthew doesn't leave a big mess.

"Here comes the rain again..."

Thanks. Battening down the hatches. The office is officially closed for the next two days, but I still have to work (remote, though, so I don't have to be out in evacuation traffic).

I'm not in an evac zone, but some property I just bought last week is. Looking forward (not) to see what kind of damage gets done to it.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (10/6/2016)

Matt Miller (#4) (10/5/2016)

drew.allen (10/5/2016)

And now we're getting blatantly fraudulent spam. :angry:

Yes - my initial reaction was that it was a poorly planned sting operation. Answer here for your complementary visit by homeland security or the favorite law enforcement organization within your home country :w00t:

What did it say?

It had fake passports and driver's licenses for sale and they were quite lengthy. Just a bunch of crap.

• I can't seem to start a thread in one of the TSQL forums. Just trying a reply here to see what happens. Sorry to interrupt the ramblings:-)

• FunkyDexter (10/6/2016)

I can't seem to start a thread in one of the TSQL forums. Just trying a reply here to see what happens. Sorry to interrupt the ramblings:-)

This one didn't work either. :w00t:

Let Steve know what happened. He can put it on to the tech people & get it fixed.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Just had one of the new staff members stop me in the kitchen to tell me about his friend who runs the SQL user group (he doesn't though does help with some organisation sometimes) and is going to this big SQL event.

Puppies, so cute. ๐Ÿ™

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Cakes are in the tent.

After three months of begging, whining, nagging and the occasional bout of holding my breath until I went purple, I now have Redgate's Toolbelt.

I've never worked somewhere where it wasn't already installed - I always thought it was part of a DBA's Human Rights.

Now I understand why so many job vacancies specify 'experience with Redgate tools' - I always assumed everybody had them. Not so.

Those poor people. We should raise awareness of the abused and neglected DBAs - having to do things the long way.

Steve Hall
    Linkedin
    Blog Site

• The office building I am currently in, is undergoing a lot of work.

The main reception is closed for 5 weeks and the lower floors aren't in use and are being re-fitted.

The work set off the fire alarm due to excess dust.

So out we go. Down 5 floors to the temporary reception on floor two. Which is the top floor of the car park as well. Then walk across the car park. Down 3 floors, and out onto ground level. The building the other side is also under going major work and some very horrible noises were coming from that direction. I'm not that convinced the fire alarm meeting spot is really in the right place at the moment :O

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (10/6/2016)

The office building I am currently in, is undergoing a lot of work.

The main reception is closed for 5 weeks and the lower floors aren't in use and are being re-fitted.

The work set off the fire alarm due to excess dust.

So out we go. Down 5 floors to the temporary reception on floor two. Which is the top floor of the car park as well. Then walk across the car park. Down 3 floors, and out onto ground level. The building the other side is also under going major work and some very horrible noises were coming from that direction. I'm not that convinced the fire alarm meeting spot is really in the right place at the moment :O

Rodders...

Ha. This reminds me of a few weeks ago. I picked up the significant other for lunch and when we got back the entire building was evacuating. Turns out a contractor doing work in the lobby / on the front doors did something electrical that set off the fire alarm. It caused a whole mess of confusion.

• Smile, Matthew!

Yeah, I can see the creepy in this one.

EDIT: I wonder when the conspiracy theories are going to start on this one.

• Brandie Tarvin (10/6/2016)

Smile, Matthew!

Yeah, I can see the creepy in this one.

EDIT: I wonder when the conspiracy theories are going to start on this one.

Freaky!

Rodders...

Viewing 15 posts - 56,101 through 56,115 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply