Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (11/7/2016)

Got my blog working again, finally. Hosting provider can't figure out how the files got wiped, restored a 3 month old backup, got my name incorrect in their last reply and and thanked me for hosting with them.

Time to move the blog, as soon as I get a free evening/weekend. Anyone got any experience with DreamHost?

Their package looks similar to Vodahost[/url], which I've used for around 5 years now with no problems at all.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• No offence Jeff, just thought this was funny

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (11/9/2016)

No offence Jeff, just thought this was funny

😎

That is kind of funny.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Okay it must be getting late. I just saw a homework problem that is basically what I have and been trying to sort out for quite some time now.

Problem was SQL2016 while I am on 2008R2. I think I will go home and think this over before trying to find the original post and re-posting. πŸ™‚

• Brandie Tarvin (11/9/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (11/9/2016)

No offence Jeff, just thought this was funny

😎

That is kind of funny.

Base 36 is f____g funny. πŸ˜‰ Saw that when I was looking at an article and didn't want folks to think it was a good idea if they ever come across that 7 year old thread.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff, I actually excepted you to have some interesting comments about the code I emailed you, or didn't you get it?

• Jeff Moden (11/6/2016)

Luis Cazares (11/2/2016)

I'm not looking for a job, but I take a look at offers from LinkedIn every now and then just to see what's being offered/requested.

That said, can anyone explain to me how is this a Jr position? https://www.linkedin.com/comm/jobs/view/218716553

No problem... no where did they say that the candidate must know how to get the current date and time. πŸ˜›

Apparently they don't know how to do it themselves.

Otherwise they'd know what year it is now, and how stupid does this sound:

POSITION QUALIFICATIONS:

4 or more years of experience with SQL Server 2012 and 2014.

• Lynn Pettis (11/9/2016)

Jeff, I actually excepted you to have some interesting comments about the code I emailed you, or didn't you get it?

Ah. sorry. I did see it and did start to look through it and got side tracked. Who wrote it?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Sergiy (11/9/2016)

Jeff Moden (11/6/2016)

Luis Cazares (11/2/2016)

I'm not looking for a job, but I take a look at offers from LinkedIn every now and then just to see what's being offered/requested.

That said, can anyone explain to me how is this a Jr position? https://www.linkedin.com/comm/jobs/view/218716553

No problem... no where did they say that the candidate must know how to get the current date and time. πŸ˜›

Apparently they don't know how to do it themselves.

Otherwise they'd know what year it is now, and how stupid does this sound:

POSITION QUALIFICATIONS:

4 or more years of experience with SQL Server 2012 and 2014.

ehh.... well, the CTPs for SQL2012 ("Denali") started in November 2010, and the RTM was Q1 2012, so it's possible to have over 4 years experience with SQL Server 2012...

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• djj (11/9/2016)

Okay it must be getting late. I just saw a homework problem that is basically what I have and been trying to sort out for quite some time now.

Problem was SQL2016 while I am on 2008R2. I think I will go home and think this over before trying to find the original post and re-posting. πŸ™‚

Wait. Homework is actually becoming more like RL problems?

That's a first!

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Yesterday was an interesting day of trying to re-add a database to an AG. I googled whether or not I could do a specific thing and got every answer under the sun, including both "yes" and "no" - both very emphatic answers.

So I said "Screw it" and tried it anyway. After running into a few errors finally figured out what I was doing wrong and got it to work. No wonder the internet is confused. Most of the people posting "no" probably didn't actually pay attention to the steps.

Anyway, feeling pretty good that I actually managed to get something to work in this past week of firefighting. πŸ˜›

• sql 2005 to oracle11g database upgrade please send the step by step process

Um, ok...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (11/10/2016)

sql 2005 to oracle11g database upgrade please send the step by step process

Um, ok...

Wooosh and no clue

~~~~\o/~~~/\~~~~

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (11/10/2016)

GilaMonster (11/10/2016)

Um, ok...

Wooosh and no clue

~~~~\o/~~~/\~~~~

😎

Heh - Did you direct them to the installation documentation for Oracle?

• GilaMonster (11/10/2016)

Um, ok...

Here's the answer:

First, run DROP DATABASE SQL2k5 (or whatever the name is).

Then install Oracle.

Then run CREATE DATABASE Oracle11G (or whatever the name is)...

Viewing 15 posts - 56,521 through 56,535 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply