• Ed Wagner (11/10/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (11/10/2016)

GilaMonster (11/10/2016)

sql 2005 to oracle11g database upgrade please send the step by step process

Um, ok...

Wooosh and no clue

~~~~\o/~~~/\~~~~

😎

Heh - Did you direct them to the installation documentation for Oracle?

No. To SAP customer support.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (11/10/2016)

Ed Wagner (11/10/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (11/10/2016)

GilaMonster (11/10/2016)

Um, ok...

Wooosh and no clue

~~~~\o/~~~/\~~~~

😎

Heh - Did you direct them to the installation documentation for Oracle?

No. To SAP customer support.

Whoa - My guess is that they have quite a long road ahead of them.

• GilaMonster (11/10/2016)

Um, ok...

Come now, the steps to do this are quite simple, really, anybody could do it.

0. Update your resume

1. Put want ad out looking for a highly experienced Oracle DBA / Developer with some MS SQL experience for a consultant position

2. Hire said Oracle DBA at an hourly rate of ~$100/hr

3. Set contract length @ 6 months

4. ???

5. PROFIT!

😀

To be honest, I think I might be low on the hourly rate, I was estimating based on what the Oracle DBA I work with roughly brings in per year.

• jasona.work (11/10/2016)

GilaMonster (11/10/2016)

Um, ok...

Come now, the steps to do this are quite simple, really, anybody could do it.

0. Update your resume

1. Put want ad out looking for a highly experienced Oracle DBA / Developer with some MS SQL experience for a consultant position

2. Hire said Oracle DBA at an hourly rate of ~$100/hr

3. Set contract length @ 6 months

4. ???

5. PROFIT!

😀

To be honest, I think I might be low on the hourly rate, I was estimating based on what the Oracle DBA I work with roughly brings in per year.

I get your reference in steps 4 and 5. 😛

The last time I worked with an Oracle installation was back in the 9i days. The documentation for the installation was several hundred pages long and did not include installation of Oracle Application Server, which was a separate machine. I'm glad I wasn't the DBA. 😀

• Jeff Moden (11/9/2016)

Lynn Pettis (11/9/2016)

Jeff, I actually excepted you to have some interesting comments about the code I emailed you, or didn't you get it?

Ah. sorry. I did see it and did start to look through it and got side tracked. Who wrote it?

Not really sure, but apparently the person currently responsible has a canned response ready when I make suggestions for minor changes, "Someone else wrote this code before me." With absolutely no comments in the code, would know. I have slowly started adding comments to my code and hopefully it is starting to look more like the code you write.

I don't know why people think that the code is the documentation. COBOL came close to that, but even that needs more comments where complex logic is involved.

• Capt'n!

The Bird o' Prey is gone!

They must've cloaked!

First thing I thought of when I saw this:

MSI (c) (28:2C) [14:35:09:178]: Cloaking enabled.

over here.

Capt'n!

They must've cloaked!

over here.

You are a bad, bad boy!

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (11/10/2016)

jasona.work (11/10/2016)

Capt'n!

They must've cloaked!

over here.

You are a bad, bad boy!

Hey!

I'm not knocking the guys question, I'm making fun of the fact that some wag at MS put something like that in an installer log file!

Plus, I loved watching Star Trek (TOS a lot, TNG some, DS9 a little, Voyager some, Enterprise only 1 season);-)

• Lynn Pettis (11/10/2016)

Jeff Moden (11/9/2016)

Lynn Pettis (11/9/2016)

Jeff, I actually excepted you to have some interesting comments about the code I emailed you, or didn't you get it?

Ah. sorry. I did see it and did start to look through it and got side tracked. Who wrote it?

Not really sure, but apparently the person currently responsible has a canned response ready when I make suggestions for minor changes, "Someone else wrote this code before me." With absolutely no comments in the code, would know. I have slowly started adding comments to my code and hopefully it is starting to look more like the code you write.

I don't know why people think that the code is the documentation. COBOL came close to that, but even that needs more comments where complex logic is involved.

As you know, my general rule of thumb is that if you remove all of the code, the comments that remain should allow someone to create a functional flowchart. My original thought when I saw the code was "typical code by someone that doesn't know, doesn't care, or both".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (11/10/2016)

Lynn Pettis (11/10/2016)

Jeff Moden (11/9/2016)

Lynn Pettis (11/9/2016)

As you know, my general rule of thumb is that if you remove all of the code, the comments that remain should allow someone to create a functional flowchart. My original thought when I saw the code was "typical code by someone that doesn't know, doesn't care, or both".

What bothered me was that I was expected to just quickly understand what the code was doing. I did provide a small change regarding capturing the values from the parameter table that is cleaner and easier to understand.

Brandie Tarvin (11/10/2016)

jasona.work (11/10/2016)

Capt'n!

They must've cloaked!

over here.

You are a bad, bad boy!

Hey!

I'm not knocking the guys question, I'm making fun of the fact that some wag at MS put something like that in an installer log file!

Plus, I loved watching Star Trek (TOS a lot, TNG some, DS9 a little, Voyager some, Enterprise only 1 season);-)

I'm with you. IMHO:

TOS = Very Good

TNG = Great

DS9 = No

Voyager = Only after 7 of 9 / the Borg came into the picture

Enterprise = No

• Ed Wagner (11/10/2016)

TOS = Very Good

TNG = Great

DS9 = No

Voyager = Only after 7 of 9 / the Borg came into the picture

Enterprise = No

My only difference there would be

DS9 = From the Dominion war onward was good

Voyager = No (Can't stand Janeway)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • ThomasRushton (11/10/2016)

ehh.... well, the CTPs for SQL2012 ("Denali") started in November 2010, and the RTM was Q1 2012, so it's possible to have over 4 years experience with SQL Server 2012...

How many did you count since Q1 2012?

• Sergiy (11/10/2016)

ThomasRushton (11/10/2016)

ehh.... well, the CTPs for SQL2012 ("Denali") started in November 2010, and the RTM was Q1 2012, so it's possible to have over 4 years experience with SQL Server 2012...

Four years and three quarters.

4 3/4 > 4

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Hugo Kornelis (11/10/2016)

Sergiy (11/10/2016)

ThomasRushton (11/10/2016)

Four years and three quarters.

4 3/4 > 4

How old are you?

I'm not asking about the number. It's about the way you answer such question.

"4 years and 9 month" is still 4 years.

"More than 4 years" means 5, 6, 7 years and more.

Viewing 15 posts - 56,536 through 56,550 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply