Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden (11/12/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (11/12/2016)

What a spamtastic Saturday morning:pinch:

😎

Indeed it has been. I've personally hidden about 100 spam posts in the last 4 to 5 hours. The bots are having a field day today. I hope the folks at SSC release whatever fix they're thinking of soon. This has gotten totally out of hand. Although it's certainly gotten worse, it's not a new problem. I told folks at SSC several years ago that it was going to get much worse. They mostly brushed it off as a low occurrence they could handle manually.

Thanks Jeff, really appreciate the effort

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (11/12/2016)

Jeff Moden (11/12/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (11/12/2016)

What a spamtastic Saturday morning:pinch:

😎

Indeed it has been. I've personally hidden about 100 spam posts in the last 4 to 5 hours. The bots are having a field day today. I hope the folks at SSC release whatever fix they're thinking of soon. This has gotten totally out of hand. Although it's certainly gotten worse, it's not a new problem. I told folks at SSC several years ago that it was going to get much worse. They mostly brushed it off as a low occurrence they could handle manually.

Thanks Jeff, really appreciate the effort

😎

And they're still at it. I just hid a bunch, but nowhere near 100. They're also posting to locations I can't delete from, so they'll have to hang around until Steve gets to them.

• Eirikur Eiriksson (11/11/2016)

😎

Not certain how to read these requirements.

I read them (together with other parts of that thread) as "My marbles are all over the place, please tell me how to glue them back together before I lose them completely"; of course, no-one can possible say that before their marbles are irretrievably lost.

Tom

• Ed Wagner (11/12/2016)

I just hid a bunch

How???

I'm sick of just reporting them and having the spam hang around for hours afterwards

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (11/13/2016)

Ed Wagner (11/12/2016)

I just hid a bunch

How???

I'm sick of just reporting them and having the spam hang around for hours afterwards

Ask Steve to give you the privs to do hides and deletes. I learned my lesson early and never do deletes.

BUT... I think people like us doing hides is perpetuating the problem. What they really need to do is to automate the obvious. For example, someone with less than 10 posts posting URL only posts needs to be hidden automatically because that accounts for something like 90% of all the SPAM. Shoot... one of us could do that detection using only T-SQL.

What I don't understand is how this has become such a problem. SQLTeam and other forums don't seem to have this problem. Is it because of the small hoops new members have to jump through to become members or something else? Whatever it is, it seems to be "bot resistant" where it doesn't appear that new member signups for SSC is.

I do wish they'd fix it soon.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Thanks, Jeff, and we do appreciate the efforts.

Our forum software is old, and it has issues with SPAM. There are developers looking to upgrade things to a more modern architecture and spam features, but it takes time. Supposedly all development is done and we are moving to performance testing this week.

SQLTeam and some other places use Discours, which is the open side of Stack Exchange. We decided not to go that route.

• Jeff Moden (11/13/2016)

GilaMonster (11/13/2016)

Ed Wagner (11/12/2016)

I just hid a bunch

How???

Ask Steve to give you the privs to do hides and deletes. I learned my lesson early and never do deletes.

Steve?

I'm on in the mornings (Europe timezones) and it's horrible. Almost unusable.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (11/14/2016)

Jeff Moden (11/13/2016)

GilaMonster (11/13/2016)

Ed Wagner (11/12/2016)

I just hid a bunch

How???

Steve?

I've cleared another load, but I don't have the rights / permissions to do a thorough clear out - Steve's not given me permissions everywhere. 🙁

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

Jeff Moden (11/13/2016)

GilaMonster (11/13/2016)

Ed Wagner (11/12/2016)

I just hid a bunch

How???

Steve?

I had permission to hide things in specific forums, but never do deletes either. The weekends are the worst times I see, but I know what you mean by European mornings being bad because I typically have a bunch of reports from 3:00-ish AM.

• ThomasRushton (11/14/2016)

GilaMonster (11/14/2016)

Jeff Moden (11/13/2016)

GilaMonster (11/13/2016)

Ed Wagner (11/12/2016)

I just hid a bunch

How???

Steve?

I've cleared another load, but I don't have the rights / permissions to do a thorough clear out - Steve's not given me permissions everywhere. 🙁

Me either. The XML forum had a bunch last night and a couple of others were right behind it.

• AGGGGGHHHHHH!

I don't know if I'm having a language barrier issue with this vendor rep or if this person is truly this clueless.

VendorRep: Make sure to restore this copy of this database before we start the release tonight.

Me: Can we do it during the day or do we have to wait until right before our release starts.

VendorRep: Restore it before the release tonight.

Me: Let me be clearer. Is the database currently used for day-to-day operations? Will restoring it during the day disrupt any users?

VendorRep: It's currently used as read only. It won't be used until after the release so restore it any time.

Me: Um, it's either used or not used. Read only counts as used. Will we be causing any disruption for the users if we restore it?

VendorRep: The database doesn't currently exist in Production...

I can't even parse the rest of that email because I'm freaking out that this person doesn't know the state of our environment well enough to understand that YES, this database DOES exist in production. The version of the DB we're supposed to restore is a newer, shinier version than what we currently have, but the database itself does indeed already exist.

So now I'm having to call this reps coworkers and leave messages asking them to step into the email chain and help me make sense of what this particular rep (who is a developer) is saying. And this is not the first time this rep has completely misunderstood or ignored what we are saying...

I foresee a really long day ahead of me.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (11/14/2016)

AGGGGGHHHHHH!

I don't know if I'm having a language barrier issue with this vendor rep or if this person is truly this clueless.

VendorRep: Make sure to restore this copy of this database before we start the release tonight.

Me: Can we do it during the day or do we have to wait until right before our release starts.

Me: Let me be clearer. Is the database currently used for day-to-day operations? Will restoring it during the day disrupt any users?

VendorRep: It's currently used as read only. It won't be used until after the release so restore it any time.

Me: Um, it's either used or not used. Read only counts as used. Will we be causing any disruption for the users if we restore it?

I can't even parse the rest of that email because I'm freaking out that this person doesn't know the state of our environment well enough to understand that YES, this database DOES exist in production. The version of the DB we're supposed to restore is a newer, shinier version than what we currently have, but the database itself does indeed already exist.

So now I'm having to call this reps coworkers and leave messages asking them to step into the email chain and help me make sense of what this particular rep (who is a developer) is saying. And this is not the first time this rep has completely misunderstood or ignored what we are saying...

I expect much better than that from a developer. Maybe an Objective-C developer? :hehe:

You have my sympathy.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Brandie Tarvin (11/14/2016)

AGGGGGHHHHHH!

This is exactly what Mondays are for.

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (11/14/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (11/14/2016)

AGGGGGHHHHHH!

This is exactly what Mondays are for.

😎

Whatever you do, I'd take a copy only backup of your production database and put it somewhere safe. While you're at it, take a copy only backup of every other database the release touched. I'd also have the applications backed up as well. If it were me, I'd want the ability to restore the environment to exactly what it is now before they have the chance to render it non-operational.

Jeff Moden (11/13/2016)

GilaMonster (11/13/2016)

Ed Wagner (11/12/2016)

I just hid a bunch

How???

Steve?

I would be happy to make you a moderator, but it consumes lots of bandwidth. The #$%#$@# way the forums are setup is you'll get hundreds more, maybe low thousands, of kb for every thread. That was an issue last time we debated this.

Viewing 15 posts - 56,566 through 56,580 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply