Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Y.B. (11/15/2016)

Hey Brandie, cheddar is not better!! LOL (it's all personal preference of course)

That being said I did recently try an Irish Cheddar which was excellent. I like something with a stronger flavor profile when it comes to cheeses...Asiago, Swiss, Oka. Although I did stray a little too far once and bought some Stinton. Ooooh boy that was something else...acquired taste for sure. Well for me anyway.

Like so many things, it depends on how you're going to use it. For example, a sharp cheddar would never be substituted for gruyere on French onion soup, but I don't know anyone who would use gruyere in a grilled cheese (croque monsieur or croque madame).

If you like strong cheeses (and I do) try a Gorgonzola. It's a type of blue cheese.

• Ed Wagner (11/15/2016)

Y.B. (11/15/2016)

Hey Brandie, cheddar is not better!! LOL (it's all personal preference of course)

That being said I did recently try an Irish Cheddar which was excellent. I like something with a stronger flavor profile when it comes to cheeses...Asiago, Swiss, Oka. Although I did stray a little too far once and bought some Stinton. Ooooh boy that was something else...acquired taste for sure. Well for me anyway.

Like so many things, it depends on how you're going to use it. For example, a sharp cheddar would never be substituted for gruyere on French onion soup, but I don't know anyone who would use gruyere in a grilled cheese (croque monsieur or croque madame).

If you like strong cheeses (and I do) try a Gorgonzola. It's a type of blue cheese.

I've been slowly appreciating Blue Cheese lately so I think I'll take you up on that and give it a try next time I see it. Always love trying new things.

SELECT quote FROM brain WHERE original = 1
    0 rows returned

• Ed Wagner (11/15/2016)

Y.B. (11/15/2016)

--Warning Food discussion starting--

One of my favorite ways to enjoy gorgonzola is to add it to a sauce pan with about the same amount of heavy cream. Then season with a bit of aunt and uncle (salt and pepper). Reduce to about half the volume. Then pour it over a soft polenta mixed with some fresh oregano. Talk about spectacular.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (11/15/2016)

Ed Wagner (11/15/2016)

Y.B. (11/15/2016)

One of my favorite ways to enjoy gorgonzola is to add it to a sauce pan with about the same amount of heavy cream. Then season with a bit of aunt and uncle (salt and pepper). Reduce to about half the volume. Then pour it over a soft polenta mixed with some fresh oregano. Talk about spectacular.

I love cheese, in fact my wife reckons that my sisters and I have a second stomach that no matter how much we've eaten already, we'll find room for cheese and biscuits. Fortunately for my waistline though, said wife is not good with dairy products so we rarely have cheese in the house. I wouldn't trust myself to buy a pound of good cheddar and not scoff the lot on my own in a couple of days hours.

However, there's steak on the menu for Saturday night and I think I could be tempted to try Ed's sauce...

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• --Warning Food discussion starting--

Really good with gnocchi too.

• Y.B. (11/15/2016)

I will agree to disagree with you on this point. @=)

EDIT: I'm a sharp cheddar person, though. Mild is meh.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Sean Lange (11/15/2016)

Ed Wagner (11/15/2016)

Y.B. (11/15/2016)

I'm sold.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Beatrix Kiddo (11/16/2016)

Really good with gnocchi too.

I'll normally use it in different pasta dishes or as a dip. I never thought about using as a sauce for polenta, but it makes complete sense and sounds delicious.

• So I did a quick google on polenta and found this interesting article.

• Brandie Tarvin (11/16/2016)

So I did a quick google on polenta and found this interesting article.

I love the Serious Eats site. Good recipes, good discussions.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • If anyone here knows the ins and outs of fn_dblog, perhaps you'd like to take a look here.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• For everyone here, if you can, watch the keynote of https://connectevent.microsoft.com/, starting in the next few minutes. There are reasons.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Y.B. (11/15/2016)

Chiming in on a flying visit - try it with a decent port as an alternative to dessert. Wonderful.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• GilaMonster (11/16/2016)

For everyone here, if you can, watch the keynote of https://connectevent.microsoft.com/, starting in the next few minutes. There are reasons.

I won't be able to watch the whole thing, but will do so as long as I can. Care to drop any hints?

• Ed Wagner (11/16/2016)

Care to drop any hints?

No. Not until the announcements are made.

Check Twitter later (Grant, Tom LaRock, Kendra, etc) they should be tweeting the highlights (I'm trying to finish performance reviews)

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 56,611 through 56,625 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply