Are the posted questions getting worse?

• jasona.work (11/18/2016)

Grant Fritchey (11/18/2016)

jasona.work (11/18/2016)

So someone dug in to how MS has SQL2016 working on Linux[/url], only to find that *horrors* they're using essentially a containerization type solution. Just enough Windows kernel for SQL to be happy and connect into the Linux OS...

I'd say when I went through the comments section, a good portion were wailing and knashing teeth about it not being a "native" Linux ap, or how the virtualization will horribly hamper the performance...

Frankly, it's a decent solution to the problem. Either re-write SQL from nearly the ground up to be a native Linux app, or leverage existing technology and get it going now.

Using Oracle as an example, if you want it on Windows, it's running on top of some JAVA...

How is that very much different?

It's not. People wanted to find a negative to this release, so they have one. The fact of the matter is, it's a new world out there and it's a new Microsoft addressing it. I'm pretty excited to be involved with the Data Platform stack at this point.

Bear in mind, the commenters in some cases were still referring to M$...

Myself, I'd be just as happy with Linux on the back end as Windows, maybe even more than I am right now (mostly because I could pawn off the OS patching on someone else, seeing as certifications are mandatory around here to work on things. No Linux cert? No working on the OS for you!)

Time to stand up a Linux VM this weekend!

So, suggestions for a Linux newbie for a host for SQL2016? I'm leaning towards an Ubuntu VM, mostly because I've loaded that up once or twice several years ago.

Get a good quality USB3 key and use something like unetbootin to create a bootable installation on the key, then you don't have any worries what so ever if (read when) you do something silly. For beginners I often make certain that the internal hard drives are not mounted, ....just in case.

😎

• jasona.work (11/18/2016)

jasona.work (11/18/2016)

So someone dug in to how MS has SQL2016 working on Linux[/url], only to find that *horrors* they're using essentially a containerization type solution. Just enough Windows kernel for SQL to be happy and connect into the Linux OS...

I'd say when I went through the comments section, a good portion were wailing and knashing teeth about it not being a "native" Linux ap, or how the virtualization will horribly hamper the performance...

Frankly, it's a decent solution to the problem. Either re-write SQL from nearly the ground up to be a native Linux app, or leverage existing technology and get it going now.

Using Oracle as an example, if you want it on Windows, it's running on top of some JAVA...

It's not. People wanted to find a negative to this release, so they have one. The fact of the matter is, it's a new world out there and it's a new Microsoft addressing it. I'm pretty excited to be involved with the Data Platform stack at this point.

Myself, I'd be just as happy with Linux on the back end as Windows, maybe even more than I am right now (mostly because I could pawn off the OS patching on someone else, seeing as certifications are mandatory around here to work on things. No Linux cert? No working on the OS for you!)

So, suggestions for a Linux newbie for a host for SQL2016? I'm leaning towards an Ubuntu VM, mostly because I've loaded that up once or twice several years ago.

There are instructions for Ubuntu and Redhat[/url]. I'm going with Ubuntu Desktop. I used to run a little laptop with this. Works well.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Eirikur Eiriksson (11/18/2016)

jasona.work (11/18/2016)

jasona.work (11/18/2016)

Get a good quality USB3 key and use something like unetbootin to create a bootable installation on the key, then you don't have any worries what so ever if (read when) you do something silly. For beginners I often make certain that the internal hard drives are not mounted, ....just in case.

😎

I'll be standing it up as a virtual machine, so if I do something silly it won't "break" one of my work-a-day machines. I have used (some time ago) various bootable ISO images of Linux for troubleshooting, the distros targeted at file recovery and the like.

• Grant Fritchey (11/18/2016)

jasona.work (11/18/2016)

jasona.work (11/18/2016)

There are instructions for Ubuntu and Redhat[/url]. I'm going with Ubuntu Desktop. I used to run a little laptop with this. Works well.

I think Ubuntu Desktop it is, then.

For beginners I often make certain that the internal hard drives are not mounted, ....just in case.

😎

<Raises hand in air>

But teacher, if the drives are unmounted, how am I supposed to install stuff to them?

My Linux experience is very, very brief, so if you could expand on this comment I'd appreciate. Thanks.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (11/18/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (11/18/2016)

For beginners I often make certain that the internal hard drives are not mounted, ....just in case.

😎

<Raises hand in air>

But teacher, if the drives are unmounted, how am I supposed to install stuff to them?

My Linux experience is very, very brief, so if you could expand on this comment I'd appreciate. Thanks.

I can actually answer this!

😀

A lot of the Linux distributions can be "installed" to a USB flash drive and booted entirely from there. Typically you would do this for something to get your feet wet and decide if the distro is right for you (ask your doctor if CentOS is right for you, seek medical attention immediately if using Mint Linux)

The distro can still install to the USB flash drive (as long as you've got room.)

As an example, my home-brew NAS uses a Linux-based OS (FreeNAS) which I boot from an 8GB USB flash drive. I could have no hard drives in the box and it would still boot up (it wouldn't be much use as a NAS, but it would work.)

• For the second time this year, I successfully got a Linux VM running with SQL Server on it. Last time I just did the install & walked away. This time I'm really kicking the tires. Built a database & a table and ran some queries. Oh, and SQL Prompt hasn't even noticed that I'm not connected to a normal SQL Server instance. I'm not sure where to go from here.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Dear Santa,

I know you won't be able to bring me a new laptop this year, but could you just bring more RAM (and a new HDD) for my current one so I can play with virtual machines just like the other kids?

Thank you.

😀

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (11/18/2016)

Dear Santa,

I know you won't be able to bring me a new laptop this year, but could you just bring more RAM (and a new HDD) for my current one so I can play with virtual machines just like the other kids?

Thank you.

😀

This is an automatic reply from the Santa's office, Sorry, out of ram this year

😎

Luis Cazares (11/18/2016)

Dear Santa,

Thank you.

😀

This is an automatic reply from the Santa's office, Sorry, out of ram this year

😎

And CPUs and SSDs aren't looking good either. I must be old-fashioned because I don't have any VMs. 😉

• Luis Cazares (11/18/2016)

... so I can play with virtual machines just like the other kids?

I haven't created a VM on a machine I own for probably a year now (and last time was just so that I had a 'jump' machine for VPNs).

Azure.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I have to do some more research on it but it may be time for me to get ready to retire.

[font="Arial Black"]Microsoft Replaces Command Prompt with PowerShell in Latest Windows 10 Build[/font]

Once again, the old axiom of "Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not" rings true. Let's hope that they're not really considering replacing it altogether so that we're forced to abandon it in SQL Server.

{EDIT} According to some of the comments for that article, it may be an incorrect article but where there's smoke... and it's not April...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (11/21/2016)

I have to do some more research on it but it may be time for me to get ready to retire.

[font="Arial Black"]Microsoft Replaces Command Prompt with PowerShell in Latest Windows 10 Build[/font]

Once again, the old axiom of "Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not" rings true. Let's hope that they're not really considering replacing it altogether so that we're forced to abandon it in SQL Server.

{EDIT} According to some of the comments for that article, it may be an incorrect article but where there's smoke... and it's not April...

Guess it's time to crawl back into my (power)shell

😎

• Grant Fritchey (11/18/2016)

For the second time this year, I successfully got a Linux VM running with SQL Server on it. Last time I just did the install & walked away. This time I'm really kicking the tires. Built a database & a table and ran some queries. Oh, and SQL Prompt hasn't even noticed that I'm not connected to a normal SQL Server instance. I'm not sure where to go from here.

An idea for what to do next... Linux VM & Windows VM; same sizes; same host; same dataset; same query load. Which runs SQL faster? Is the LinuxVM version much hampered by the Windows-Linux shim that the naysayers/whingers are naysaying/whingeing about?

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Jeff Moden (11/21/2016)

I have to do some more research on it but it may be time for me to get ready to retire.

More...

[font="Arial Black"]https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Windows+10+build+14971+Command+Prompt[/font]

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 15 posts - 56,701 through 56,715 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply