Are the posted questions getting worse?

• So I'm all set to start playing with SQL on Linux over the weekend, but I first wanted to upgrade my Hyper-V server from 2012R2 to 2016. The reload went smooth, set up the initial virtual network, copied a couple ISOs over, created a Win Server 2012 VM to verify I'd plugged the right NIC port in for the virtual network.

Go to start the VM to load it up and...

Couldn't start the VM as the virtual machine service isn't running.

Go back and check the system requirements for HV2016 and the processors need to support SLAT.

Hmm...

What CPUs are in my machine?

Xeon X7350s

What DON'T those CPUs support?

SLAT...

rassim frazzim flim flam...

So tonight I'll be re-reloading the server back to HV2012 and trying again...

• ThomasRushton (11/21/2016)

Grant Fritchey (11/18/2016)

For the second time this year, I successfully got a Linux VM running with SQL Server on it. Last time I just did the install & walked away. This time I'm really kicking the tires. Built a database & a table and ran some queries. Oh, and SQL Prompt hasn't even noticed that I'm not connected to a normal SQL Server instance. I'm not sure where to go from here.

An idea for what to do next... Linux VM & Windows VM; same sizes; same host; same dataset; same query load. Which runs SQL faster? Is the LinuxVM version much hampered by the Windows-Linux shim that the naysayers/whingers are naysaying/whingeing about?

Unfortunately, I already know the answer. Linux will be slower. Not a gig on Linux. It's how they ported it with a sort of virtual windows running underneath. That added layer will be slower with everything else being equal.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Jeff Moden (11/21/2016)

I have to do some more research on it but it may be time for me to get ready to retire.

[font="Arial Black"]Microsoft Replaces Command Prompt with PowerShell in Latest Windows 10 Build[/font]

Once again, the old axiom of "Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not" rings true. Let's hope that they're not really considering replacing it altogether so that we're forced to abandon it in SQL Server.

{EDIT} According to some of the comments for that article, it may be an incorrect article but where there's smoke... and it's not April...

Well, at least it's still available...for now. I'm going to have to figure out how to disable automatic updates on my home laptop before they wreck it completely.

• Hugo Kornelis (11/17/2016)

Luis Cazares (11/17/2016)

Hugo Kornelis (11/17/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (11/17/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (11/17/2016)

Beatrix Kiddo (11/17/2016)

It's in the link there.

CREATE OR ALTER (Yes, we heard you !!!) – New CREATE OR ALTER support makes it easier to modify and deploy objects like Stored Procedures, Triggers, User–Defined Functions, and Views. This was one of the highly requested features by developers and SQL Community.

I know it's in the link. But none of that tells me anything.

What is CREATE OR ALTER?

That would be CREATE (if not exists) OR ALTER (if exists), bye bye to all the variations of checking if the object exists, create dummy and alter etc.

😎

And best of all, never again risk losing assigned permissions because I accidentally used DROP / CREATE instead of ALTER for an existing object.

Now I only need to get my client to upgrade a few versions.....

I hope that by "few versions" you don't mean 5 versions. 😀

Lemme check....

2005 ---> 2008 (1)

2008 ---> 2008R2 (2)

2008R2 --> 2012 (3)

2012 --> 2014 (4)

2014 --> 2016 (5)

*cough* Unless I cheat by ignoring all R2 versions, I'm afraid that I actually do mean 5 versions.

You don't have to update version by version. You can go from any 2005+ to latest in one step, using backup/restore (preferred method) or detach/attach. Don't believe me? Check out what Paul Randal says about it here[/url].

If you are on 2000 or earlier, beside my sympathies, you will first need to get up to 2005 in order to do this.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Ed Wagner (11/21/2016)

Jeff Moden (11/21/2016)

I have to do some more research on it but it may be time for me to get ready to retire.

[font="Arial Black"]Microsoft Replaces Command Prompt with PowerShell in Latest Windows 10 Build[/font]

Once again, the old axiom of "Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not" rings true. Let's hope that they're not really considering replacing it altogether so that we're forced to abandon it in SQL Server.

{EDIT} According to some of the comments for that article, it may be an incorrect article but where there's smoke... and it's not April...

Well, at least it's still available...for now. I'm going to have to figure out how to disable automatic updates on my home laptop before they wreck it completely.

Have you read that xp_cmdshell's fate is also sealed as part of these changes?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (11/21/2016)

Ed Wagner (11/21/2016)

Jeff Moden (11/21/2016)

Is there going to be a xp_PowerShell?

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Ed Wagner (11/21/2016)

Jeff Moden (11/21/2016)

No I haven't. :w00t::w00t::w00t: It isn't deprecated in BOL. Do you have a link?

• Steve - is it too early to put out SQL Server on Linux (and/or SQL Server 14) forum groups?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Ed Wagner (11/21/2016)

Jeff Moden (11/21/2016)

Starting to sound like ActiveX all over again.

😎

• Ed Wagner (11/21/2016)

Phil Parkin (11/21/2016)

Ed Wagner (11/21/2016)

Jeff Moden (11/21/2016)

No I haven't. :w00t::w00t::w00t: It isn't deprecated in BOL. Do you have a link?

No. I could have worded that better.

I read this comment and was trying to work out its basis:

Let's hope that they're not really considering replacing it altogether so that we're forced to abandon it in SQL Server

I was wondering whether 'it' was xp_cmdshell, that's all

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Ed Wagner (11/21/2016)

Phil Parkin (11/21/2016)

Ed Wagner (11/21/2016)

Jeff Moden (11/21/2016)

Let's hope that they're not really considering replacing it altogether so that we're forced to abandon it in SQL Server

Whew!!! I was starting to panic, but couldn't find anything on it. I'm breathing a bit better now. On a Monday morning, I was most certainly awake. If not, I sure am now. 😉

• Ed Wagner (11/21/2016)

Phil Parkin (11/21/2016)

Ed Wagner (11/21/2016)

Phil Parkin (11/21/2016)

Ed Wagner (11/21/2016)

Jeff Moden (11/21/2016)

Whew!!! I was starting to panic, but couldn't find anything on it. I'm breathing a bit better now. On a Monday morning, I was most certainly awake. If not, I sure am now. 😉

Who has the pork chop launcher?

Someone needs to whack a few over in Phil's direction for scaring us all. 😛

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (11/21/2016)

Ed Wagner (11/21/2016)

Phil Parkin (11/21/2016)

Ed Wagner (11/21/2016)

Phil Parkin (11/21/2016)

Ed Wagner (11/21/2016)

Jeff Moden (11/21/2016)

That's fair. I'm gearing up for the barrage right now. But IMO Jeff deserves at least a couple for his 'abandon' statement.

• WayneS (11/21/2016)

Steve - is it too early to put out SQL Server on Linux (and/or SQL Server 14) forum groups?

No, I'll create them today

Brandie Tarvin (11/21/2016)

Ed Wagner (11/21/2016)

Phil Parkin (11/21/2016)

Ed Wagner (11/21/2016)

Phil Parkin (11/21/2016)

Ed Wagner (11/21/2016)

Jeff Moden (11/21/2016)

That's fair. I'm gearing up for the barrage right now. But IMO Jeff deserves at least a couple for his 'abandon' statement.

I'm old so "it depends" and I've already been punished enough. When I first read the article, I blew coffee out my nose and crapped my britches. At least that left me with a warmer feeling than the article did. :hehe:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 15 posts - 56,716 through 56,730 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply