Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Out for a few days, but I'm back.

WRT the PoSh instead of the Command Prompt, I'm not sure there's a big issue here. Most everything I do in cmd seems to work in the PoSh. Aliases or just native commands work. I'd guess that cmd.exe would alias to PowerShell.exe, but I would think xp_cmdshell would just work.

Personally, I'd like to see an integrated shell, as long as it's backwards compatible.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/21/2016)

Out for a few days, but I'm back.

WRT the PoSh instead of the Command Prompt, I'm not sure there's a big issue here. Most everything I do in cmd seems to work in the PoSh. Aliases or just native commands work. I'd guess that cmd.exe would alias to PowerShell.exe, but I would think xp_cmdshell would just work.

Personally, I'd like to see an integrated shell, as long as it's backwards compatible.

I think this is a good change, have been using bash and PoSh instead of cmd for a long time, far superior and easier to use. Bash on Win10 is absolutely brilliant although there still are few issues but hey ho, nothing is perfect and having commands like grep is priceless!

๐Ÿ˜Ž

• CMD / Powershell change in Win 10 I don't think has been well reported.

My understanding is that the only change is that the "cmd" command & the icon on the start menu open up a powershell window by default. This can be changed back to run command.com as now.

More importantly: The change is only in the latest build available in the _Windows Insider Program_, and Microsoft is actively courting feedback on it.

Relax everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

(Personally, I love powershell, so I'm not too worried either way :cool:)

• Eirikur Eiriksson (11/21/2016)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/21/2016)

Out for a few days, but I'm back.

I think this is a good change, have been using bash and PoSh instead of cmd for a long time, far superior and easier to use. Bash on Win10 is absolutely brilliant although there still are few issues but hey ho, nothing is perfect and having commands like grep is priceless!

๐Ÿ˜Ž

I have to disagree with the "far superior" and "easier to use" notions, especially for the stuff that I do. Heh... and to make life easier thanks to the output from xp_CmdShell that can easily be captured, in the rare instances where I do need to use PoSh, I call it from xp_CmdShell.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Gazareth (11/21/2016)

CMD / Powershell change in Win 10 I don't think has been well reported.

My understanding is that the only change is that the "cmd" command & the icon on the start menu open up a powershell window by default. This can be changed back to run command.com as now.

More importantly: The change is only in the latest build available in the _Windows Insider Program_, and Microsoft is actively courting feedback on it.

Relax everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah... relax... and put this blindfold on. It won't hurt.

I'm not so concerned with their little dance of defaults. What I'm concerned about is some idiot at MS driving towards the someday elimination of CMD.exe and the ability to get to it from SQL Server.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (11/21/2016)

Isn't that what they say when they put someone in front of a firing squad?

I'm not so concerned with their little dance of defaults. What I'm concerned about is some idiot at MS driving towards the someday elimination of CMD.exe and the ability to get to it from SQL Server.

Agreed. Making it unavailable will be a huge pain for things that have been written. Because it's technically the OS and not SQL, it means they wouldn't have to go with their usual minimum of 2 major releases before removing it. I don't know if that's an official policy or not, but intentionally removing functionality would be a great case for not upgrading.

• Ed Wagner (11/21/2016)

Jeff Moden (11/21/2016)

Or a wedding...

~~~~\o/~~~/\~~~

๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Ed Wagner (11/21/2016)

Jeff Moden (11/21/2016)

Agreed. Making it unavailable will be a huge pain for things that have been written. Because it's technically the OS and not SQL, it means they wouldn't have to go with their usual minimum of 2 major releases before removing it. I don't know if that's an official policy or not, but intentionally removing functionality would be a great case for not upgrading.

I doubt MS would simply remove cmd support overnight as it is a part of the OS not SQL Server and the ramifications of removing it would be pretty huge for every person who works with windows in any kind of administrative role. That said I wouldn't be surprised if MS moved to make powershell the default console language as it is newer and yes has more functionality than the old cmd.

I also see this as a separate issue than xp_cmdshell as that's just a plugin to send console commands to the OS, despite its name it's not intrinsically tied to cmd and if powershell was the default console language I'd imagine it would work just as well.

• WayneS (11/21/2016)

Hugo Kornelis (11/17/2016)

Luis Cazares (11/17/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (11/17/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (11/17/2016)

Beatrix Kiddo (11/17/2016)

It's in the link there.

CREATE OR ALTER (Yes, we heard you !!!) โ€“ New CREATE OR ALTER support makes it easier to modify and deploy objects like Stored Procedures, Triggers, Userโ€“Defined Functions, and Views. This was one of the highly requested features by developers and SQL Community.

I know it's in the link. But none of that tells me anything.

What is CREATE OR ALTER?

That would be CREATE (if not exists) OR ALTER (if exists), bye bye to all the variations of checking if the object exists, create dummy and alter etc.

๐Ÿ˜Ž

And best of all, never again risk losing assigned permissions because I accidentally used DROP / CREATE instead of ALTER for an existing object.

Now I only need to get my client to upgrade a few versions.....

I hope that by "few versions" you don't mean 5 versions. ๐Ÿ˜€

Lemme check....

2005 ---> 2008 (1)

2008 ---> 2008R2 (2)

2008R2 --> 2012 (3)

2012 --> 2014 (4)

2014 --> 2016 (5)

*cough* Unless I cheat by ignoring all R2 versions, I'm afraid that I actually do mean 5 versions.

You don't have to update version by version. You can go from any 2005+ to latest in one step, using backup/restore (preferred method) or detach/attach. Don't believe me? Check out what Paul Randal says about it here[/url].

If you are on 2000 or earlier, beside my sympathies, you will first need to get up to 2005 in order to do this.

Me not knowing better, I used backup/restore for my test system (2008R2 to 2016). Worked so did not think anything about it. Have not found any old code that does not work but I am not though testing.

• djj (11/21/2016)

WayneS (11/21/2016)

It's in the link there.

CREATE OR ALTER (Yes, we heard you !!!) โ€“ New CREATE OR ALTER support makes it easier to modify and deploy objects like Stored Procedures, Triggers, Userโ€“Defined Functions, and Views. This was one of the highly requested features by developers and SQL Community.

What is CREATE OR ALTER?

That would be CREATE (if not exists) OR ALTER (if exists), bye bye to all the variations of checking if the object exists, create dummy and alter etc.

๐Ÿ˜Ž

And best of all, never again risk losing assigned permissions because I accidentally used DROP / CREATE instead of ALTER for an existing object.

Lemme check....

2005 ---> 2008 (1)

2008 ---> 2008R2 (2)

2008R2 --> 2012 (3)

2012 --> 2014 (4)

2014 --> 2016 (5)

*cough* Unless I cheat by ignoring all R2 versions, I'm afraid that I actually do mean 5 versions.

You don't have to update version by version. You can go from any 2005+ to latest in one step, using backup/restore (preferred method) or detach/attach. Don't believe me? Check out what Paul Randal says about it here[/url].

If you are on 2000 or earlier, beside my sympathies, you will first need to get up to 2005 in order to do this.

Me not knowing better, I used backup/restore for my test system (2008R2 to 2016). Worked so did not think anything about it. Have not found any old code that does not work but I am not though testing.

Have you upped the compatibility level?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Gazareth (11/21/2016)

Relax everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

The way I read the initial article, it referred to Windows 10 Create. Isn't that the third party developer version? Or am I missing something?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (11/21/2016)

Gazareth (11/21/2016)

Relax everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

The way I read the initial article, it referred to Windows 10 Create. Isn't that the third party developer version? Or am I missing something?

Yeah Windows Insider Program, same thing AFAIK.

Jeff, someday we'll get you to stop worrying & love the PoSh. You'll be riding that pipeline in like Slim Pickens ๐Ÿ˜‰

• WayneS (11/21/2016)

It's in the link there.

What is CREATE OR ALTER?

๐Ÿ˜Ž

Lemme check....

2005 ---> 2008 (1)

2008 ---> 2008R2 (2)

2008R2 --> 2012 (3)

2012 --> 2014 (4)

2014 --> 2016 (5)

I know that I don't need to do all those.

I was just counting out the number of versions that my client is behind.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Phil Parkin (11/21/2016)

Have you upped the compatibility level?

All but one which I have now changed. :ermm:

• Hugo Kornelis (11/22/2016)

WayneS (11/21/2016)

It's in the link there.

What is CREATE OR ALTER?

๐Ÿ˜Ž

Lemme check....

2005 ---> 2008 (1)

2008 ---> 2008R2 (2)

2008R2 --> 2012 (3)

2012 --> 2014 (4)

2014 --> 2016 (5)

I know that I don't need to do all those.

I was just counting out the number of versions that my client is behind.

I see. I guess the "2005 --> 2008" ... made it look to me like upgrading version by version.

I'll resume lurking now.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 56,731 through 56,745 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply