Are the posted questions getting worse?

• ChrisM@Work (1/11/2017)

rodjkidd (1/9/2017)

Eirikur and Chris,

Sorry for the late notice but I only booked today!

I'm near Oxford Circus tomorrow for a camera flash course. It finishes at 4 30. So could meet up? I'll be parking on the outskirts on the central line, so Holborn would be easy 😉

Edit: obviously this is for Brandies benefit as well, so she can keep up with the meeting in London soap opera :w00t:

Cheers,

Rodders...

Oh crap! Only just found this. I'm 100 yards from Piccadilly Circus, a mere 7 minutes walk from Oxford Circus and 10 minutes on foot from just about anywhere in Soho!

It's taken the best part of seven months to rebuild the main bathroom at home. New floor, walls, ceiling and window. A proper plumber raised the service pipes through the new floor to about 6". I took it from there: radiator, bath, shower, loo, and sink, and lighting. Bought, fitted, tested, tiled and grouted and now in use with some minor decorative stuff remaining. Whilst I've been doing this I've been out of circulation, not just because it's been a lot of time & effort, but also because an evening off meant completion was pushed back by a day. The project made me proper grumpy too because it was difficult and risky. It's nice to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel, and to know I can say "Yes! I'll be there..." without any second thoughts, when someone says they are going to be in the area.

Sorry I missed it Rodders.

Ah that is pretty close!

Not to worry as I said it was all very last minute.

Also I will certainly give a lot more notice next time.

Cheers,

Rodders...

• The SQLBits public session voting is open. A few familiar Threadizen names on there.

Just a pity you can only pick 10 🙁

So if you haven't done so yet - lets see those fingers - and let the voting begin!

http://www.sqlbits.com/information/publicsessions

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (1/11/2017)

The SQLBits public session voting is open. A few familiar Threadizen names on there.

So if you haven't done so yet - lets see those fingers - and let the voting begin!

Rodders...

I have voted - when you get to 10/10 selections is there meant to be a submit button??

• I really would like to attend Bits this year (hint, hint)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • BrainDonor (1/10/2017)

Jeff Moden (1/9/2017)

I used to think it odd that people that people I've interviewed with more than 5 years of "experience" with SQL Server that made the claim of being a DBA on their resume couldn't answer even simple questions.

I'm not as bothered about people not being able to answer apparently simple questions - there's a ton of stuff that I don't know that I imagine is patently obvious to a lot of people here. What bugs me is when they can't find the answers to some of the basic things online. I can't decide if some are clueless in the ways of search engines or just lazy.

Me too. It would be great if people stopped helping the repeat offenders.

• GilaMonster (1/11/2017)

I really would like to attend Bits this year (hint, hint)

you have my vote!

• BLOB EATER (1/11/2017)

rodjkidd (1/11/2017)

The SQLBits public session voting is open. A few familiar Threadizen names on there.

Rodders...

I have voted - when you get to 10/10 selections is there meant to be a submit button??

I don't think so- I clicked on my 10th and was about to go up to review my choices (because there were still loads more to go), and it appears to have auto-submitted them. Irritating.

• GilaMonster (1/11/2017)

Got it 😉

😎

• Beatrix Kiddo (1/11/2017)

BLOB EATER (1/11/2017)

rodjkidd (1/11/2017)

Rodders...

I don't think so- I clicked on my 10th and was about to go up to review my choices (because there were still loads more to go), and it appears to have auto-submitted them. Irritating.

yes that is what I thought too (auto submit).

• BLOB EATER (1/11/2017)

rodjkidd (1/11/2017)

Rodders...

No, I don't think so. It means you have picked. Odd interface that. So I don't think you change your mind!

If you close it and log in again... You will see you have 10 / 10 picks!

Cheers,

Rodders...

• Eirikur Eiriksson (1/11/2017)

GilaMonster (1/11/2017)

Got it 😉

😎

Oh no!

But I voted on Monday... :-O

But I must have the crystal ball for a few minutes!

😀

Rodders...

• jasona.work (1/10/2017)

Brandie Tarvin (1/10/2017)

BrainDonor (1/10/2017)

jasona.work (1/10/2017)

My normal 30 minute drive to work took an hour, the roads were crap and slick, and I've got a little rear-wheel drive sporty car.

Winter tyres. My wife has a rear-wheel drive sporty car and it was terrifying in the winter. Then somebody suggested winter tyres and it is wonderful. They don't have to be expensive - mid-range tyres are quite a good price.

Subaru (AWD) + all-weather tires. Excellent combination. Keeps the car going through ANYTHING.

Oh come on, if I recall you're in Florida, what "anything" do you have to go through?

Maybe the occasional alligator in the road, but that's better called a "speed bump."

:-D:-P;-)

I mean really, how bad can the roads get in a hurricane, it's just water on the roads?

😉

I come from the Midwest where "winter" IN ('ice storms', 'snow storms', 'sleet', 'frozen slush'). My very first Subaru (back in the 80s) had to drive through a blizzard. My mom was taking my dad to the emergency room. 3' - 4' of snow on the roads, and that little Subaru was STILL moving until they hit an intersection crowded with stalled and stranded cars. They had to stop because there was no way around. At which point, snow got under the hood, chilled the engine and stalled the car.

Up until that point, though? The little car that could. I have barely looked at another brand since.

RE: your "water on the roads" comment... HIPPO, ATTACK! @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Michael L John (1/10/2017)

jasona.work (1/10/2017)

Luis Cazares (1/10/2017)

jasona.work (1/10/2017)

Brandie Tarvin (1/10/2017)

BrainDonor (1/10/2017)

jasona.work (1/10/2017)

My normal 30 minute drive to work took an hour, the roads were crap and slick, and I've got a little rear-wheel drive sporty car.

Winter tyres. My wife has a rear-wheel drive sporty car and it was terrifying in the winter. Then somebody suggested winter tyres and it is wonderful. They don't have to be expensive - mid-range tyres are quite a good price.

Subaru (AWD) + all-weather tires. Excellent combination. Keeps the car going through ANYTHING.

Oh come on, if I recall you're in Florida, what "anything" do you have to go through?

Maybe the occasional alligator in the road, but that's better called a "speed bump."

:-D:-P;-)

I mean really, how bad can the roads get in a hurricane, it's just water on the roads?

😉

It's actually really hard to drive when your car is floating or flying. Absolutely no traction there.

Bah, if your car is floating, that's when you use your snowbrush as a paddle and keep going.

If it's flying, well, then I want one, we were promised flying cars by the Jetsons' and I want my flying car dang it!

And this: Moller M400 Skycar doesn't count! It was only ever a prototype.

Subaru Outback. 4 winter tires. I climb walls.

THAT is what I'm talking about! :w00t:

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• BLOB EATER (1/11/2017)

Beatrix Kiddo (1/11/2017)

BLOB EATER (1/11/2017)

rodjkidd (1/11/2017)

Rodders...

yes that is what I thought too (auto submit).

The first year that did it like that I didn't realise you couldn't change your mind. Only got about a third of the way through the list by the time I had selected my 10. I did see a couple towards the end of the list who I would have rather voted for. I can't remember if they got picked that year. I hope they did!

This year I knew a few people who had submitted so looked for them in the list, and voted accordingly. But I still didn't get the very last few at the bottom. Eek.

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (1/11/2017)

Also I will certainly give a lot more notice next time.

Or you could, I dunno, use more instantaneous communication, like billboards and construction street signs.

<duck>

Viewing 15 posts - 57,076 through 57,090 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply