Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Ed Wagner - Monday, January 16, 2017 8:21 AM

Sean Lange - Monday, January 16, 2017 7:20 AM

The massive ice storm that was predicted for the weekend apparently never received notification it was supposed to show up. They predicted as much as 1" of freezing rain around KC. We got just a tiny bit Friday night, barely enough to make things slick. That was the extent of the whole thing.

I hope those ratios hold true for us.  They're predicting from 0.1" to 0.2" this evening, ending around 2:00 AM.

I think I prefer my weather to yours - it's now five o'clock and the temperature in the shade in my front garden has come down to 24°C from it's early afternoon peak.  But we have very localised mocro-climates around here - I reckon I can find temeratures (in the shade) ranging from 18°C to 26°C within 20 minutes walk of here, and the sea temperature by Playa Grande (5mins walk) is only 16°C - I think it's warmer half a mile further West along the coast, as the diving club at Playa Chica was in full swing when last I walked past there.

Judging by the messages, no-one in Cape Canaveral FL participates in the The Thread - it probably has weather much like hours, being moderately distant from any large chunk of land and about 5° North of the tropic.  I guess there are some differences as East Atlantic coast is more inclined to extremes of weather than West Atlantic coast, but apart from having more hurricanes than we do there probably aren't many.

Tom

• TomThomson - Monday, January 16, 2017 9:59 AM

Ed Wagner - Monday, January 16, 2017 8:21 AM

Sean Lange - Monday, January 16, 2017 7:20 AM

The massive ice storm that was predicted for the weekend apparently never received notification it was supposed to show up. They predicted as much as 1" of freezing rain around KC. We got just a tiny bit Friday night, barely enough to make things slick. That was the extent of the whole thing.

I hope those ratios hold true for us.  They're predicting from 0.1" to 0.2" this evening, ending around 2:00 AM.

I think I prefer my weather to yours - it's now five o'clock and the temperature in the shade in my front garden has come down to 24°C from it's early afternoon peak.  But we have very localised mocro-climates around here - I reckon I can find temeratures (in the shade) ranging from 18°C to 26°C within 20 minutes walk of here, and the sea temperature by Playa Grande (5mins walk) is only 16°C - I think it's warmer half a mile further West along the coast, as the diving club at Playa Chica was in full swing when last I walked past there.

Judging by the messages, no-one in Cape Canaveral FL participates in the The Thread - it probably has weather much like hours, being moderately distant from any large chunk of land and about 5° North of the tropic.  I guess there are some differences as East Atlantic coast is more inclined to extremes of weather than West Atlantic coast, but apart from having more hurricanes than we do there probably aren't many.

Unfortunately, I'm a few hours away from Cape Canaveral, so I can't tell you if your supposition is true or not. But I do know there's a huge wildlife preserve (that is maintained by NASA) in the area. Which may or may not have anything to do with maintaining a micro-climate.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Sean Lange - Monday, January 16, 2017 7:17 AM

SQLBill - Friday, January 13, 2017 1:50 PM

Sean Lange - Friday, January 13, 2017 9:30 AM

Ed Wagner - Friday, January 13, 2017 9:20 AM

Sean Lange - Friday, January 13, 2017 8:33 AM

The nasty weather is almost here. We are expecting an ice storm that starts today around noon and doesn't stop until sunday night. We are in the projected bullseye to get 1/2"+ of ice. Ugh!!! At least I have already been to the store and loaded up the cupboards for a long of weekend of family activities. I have a feeling our new holiday ping pong table is going to get a lot of activity this weekend.

I heard about that on the way to work today, only I heard up to 1" of ice. :unsure:🙁  There's only so much you can do to prepare for something like that and it sounds like you've done the important stuff.  I also make sure the gas tanks are full on the cars.  In the event of an extended power loss over a wide area, the gas stations won't be working.

Stay home and stay safe.

I filled the van yesterday and have plenty of wood for the fireplace. We have all underground power lines around my place so any outages will have to happen from a distance. In the 10+ years we have been in this house we only lost power a couple of times and never for very long. Of course at one point one of the VP's of the power company lived in our neighborhood so I am sure that during that time outages were dealt with as extremely important.

The weather guy did say that is could be as much 1" but the "official" forecast has us in the .5+ range. I am not a huge NFL fan but I wonder what is going to happen for the Chiefs game at Arrowhead Sunday night. Pretty sure we don't 78,000 drunk people driving around on frozen roads. :crazy:

Steelers at Chiefs got "delayed" to 8:20 PM Eastern.  Go Steelers!!!

-SQLBill

I set up my DVR to record the Biggest Loser but it just keeps recording Chiefs playoffs games. :w00t::w00t::w00t:

Bwahhhahahaha....love it.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, January 16, 2017 12:08 PM

Morning commute:

Are you bragging or complaining?  There's almost no traffic.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden - Monday, January 16, 2017 5:28 PM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, January 16, 2017 12:08 PM

Morning commute:

Are you bragging or complaining?  There's almost no traffic.

That was a parking lot road I'm on. Just a mess commute, though. No more traffic than other mornings I happen to go out.

• I would appreciate any input anyone can give me on this item here. If this information is stored in a system table somewhere, it's hiding from me very well. I can't seem to find it.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Grant Fritchey - Monday, January 16, 2017 8:04 AM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, January 16, 2017 7:21 AM

Not a great game. Now I can just hope the Steelers show up and beat the Pats next weekend.

By beat you mean lose horribly. Yeah, I agree.

Is there a way they both lose? I really hope that the NFC wins the Super Bowl this year. 😀

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • So, does anyone else get really antsy / nervous / agitated prior to a work-trip?

Going to another location next week for anywhere from a couple days to the entire week to site survey their SQL install with an eye to moving it to our location.  Really, no biggie, heck they're not even sure if they're even USING the bloody DBs!
    So, step one, see how many DBs they have (one estimate is ~10, whoopty-doo!,) try to determine if they're being used (even though it resets on reboots, I figure to start with dm_db_index_usage_stats, presuming they're on SQL2008+) and check for any red flags.

Of course, and likely the largest source of my nerves, my boss and his boss will be going along on this little field trip...
    :-/

• jasona.work - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 12:28 PM

So, does anyone else get really antsy / nervous / agitated prior to a work-trip?

Going to another location next week for anywhere from a couple days to the entire week to site survey their SQL install with an eye to moving it to our location.  Really, no biggie, heck they're not even sure if they're even USING the bloody DBs!
    So, step one, see how many DBs they have (one estimate is ~10, whoopty-doo!,) try to determine if they're being used (even though it resets on reboots, I figure to start with dm_db_index_usage_stats, presuming they're on SQL2008+) and check for any red flags.

Of course, and likely the largest source of my nerves, my boss and his boss will be going along on this little field trip...

Used to. Not any more. But then I'm traveling 1-2 weeks a month, so it's pretty much "the job" not travel for the job.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

So, does anyone else get really antsy / nervous / agitated prior to a work-trip?

I got used to it quite early on - went to a lot of outside meetings during my first real job (only one of them with the boss accompnying), in my next job the Prof who was head of computing at UEA and hence my boss at UEA took me to a few external meetings and I was really shy at meeting a couple of people who were sort of my heroes because of research they had published (that was probably the nearest I got to being antsy - but I think being shy when meeting some of the biggest names in computing was reasonable).  At my third job I went to far fewer outside meetings, and one was a disaster - I overslept, got there late and not very tidy, a colleague had been briefed to give my presentation because I wasn't there and the boss decided to have him do it even though I had turned up - back at the ranch I got thoroughly balled out.  I was careful not to screw up after that.  Then I moved to ICL and quite soon found myself running a development group with one major project, one medium project, and one team doing small speculative projects, talking to customers, negotiating with suppliers, lots of external meetings only a small number of them accompanied by the boss, a good deal of contact with head-office directors (400 miles away) and having to cope with plenty people who wanted to pass the buck for their screw-ups to the division I worked in.  That really made me used to meetings and not too much worried about them.  Then moved to a different division of the company when slotted in to rescue a disastrously failing project and found myself having too much to do (including meetings with the top divisional management) to go to external meetings, next was shifted to a largely technical role that had me acting as chief designer for the projects I had been managing, plus working on cross-divisional stuff at meetings all over the place to agree new technical standards, and liaising with various hardware design teams within the division. Later (still at the same company) I found myself travelling to Germany, France, Belgium, Italy, and  to meet with researchers and developers and managers at various universities and companies but by then I just didn't worry about meetings (except at one, when I was unexpectedly asked at the meeting to give a presentation with no time to prepare).  In the last dozen years of my career I went to meetings in 7 different US locations, in 3 locations in India (where I spent more than quarter of my time for a couple of years), in Barbados, in Beirut, in Amsterdam, in Denmark and in quite a lot of places in Britain, and was never nervous about those meetings (although I was pretty pissed off by some of them, and probably frightened some people at some of those ones).

Tom

I used to for sure. Trying to get work done when people not involved go is a pain. They distract, interfere, or steess you.

Good luck.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, January 19, 2017 8:56 AM

jasona.work - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 12:28 PM

I used to for sure. Trying to get work done when people not involved go is a pain. They distract, interfere, or steess you.

Good luck.

Well, from the agenda, it looks like the bosses are going to be busy with bosses, while I'm not even on the list.  So hopefully I'll be quietly plugging away with the IT people getting my part done.

Of course, I also just realized, I stress like this when the wife and I are planning a vacation, half the time I'm ready to start packing a week or more beforehand and I still get jumpy I've forgotten something...

• jasona.work - Thursday, January 19, 2017 9:14 AM

Well, from the agenda, it looks like the bosses are going to be busy with bosses, while I'm not even on the list.  So hopefully I'll be quietly plugging away with the IT people getting my part done.

Of course, I also just realized, I stress like this when the wife and I are planning a vacation, half the time I'm ready to start packing a week or more beforehand and I still get jumpy I've forgotten something...

At least, I hope, you haven't forgotten your passport when flying internationally. My parents still haven't lived down the day I got a call at 4am to ask me to drive "home", find a specific bag that was "somewhere" in the house, and do a 3 hour round trip to the airport... At least I was up for work in time that day *rolls eyes*

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Thursday, January 19, 2017 9:22 AM

jasona.work - Thursday, January 19, 2017 9:14 AM

At least, I hope, you haven't forgotten your passport when flying internationally. My parents still haven't lived down the day I got a call at 4am to ask me to drive "home", find a specific bag that was "somewhere" in the house, and do a 3 hour round trip to the airport... At least I was up for work in time that day *rolls eyes*

My wife and I did that going on a cruise. I didn't know she needed a passport. I had mine, she didn't have hers. Panic ensues. It all worked out.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 15 posts - 57,181 through 57,195 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply