Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, April 14, 2017 1:21 PM

Is it me, or is the new Star Wars trailer just not that impressive?
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-trailer-for-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-here-1794299927

Haven't watched it. Not going to watch it. Will try to avoid any discussion of it. I prefer to watch the movie cold.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, April 14, 2017 1:21 PM

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-trailer-for-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-here-1794299927

For me it just creates more questions. My boys were pretty pumped to see the trailer then disappointed they have to wait until December to watch the full movie.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster - Friday, April 14, 2017 1:37 PM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, April 14, 2017 1:21 PM

Haven't watched it. Not going to watch it. Will try to avoid any discussion of it. I prefer to watch the movie cold.

One benefit of not watching the trailers is you don't get pumped up to see a movie sequence that they end up removing in final edits. I have had that experience more than a few times.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• The whole idea of watching a Star Wars movie without being paid for that does not quite stack up.

I honestly attempted couple of times, but could not make it beyond 20 minutes.

Probably because, as they say, "the one who served in Soviet Army does not laugh in circus".

🙂

• SQLRNNR - Friday, April 14, 2017 2:23 PM

For me it just creates more questions. My boys were pretty pumped to see the trailer then disappointed they have to wait until December to watch the full movie.

That's what I thought. Maybe it's me since I still haven't seen Rogue One. My kid and I watched Force Awakens a couple weeks after opening and both thought "meh".
    I'm behind on my movies. Still haven't seen the latest Star Trek either.

• Brandie Tarvin - Friday, April 14, 2017 11:08 AM

jasona.work - Friday, April 14, 2017 8:59 AM

Lynn Pettis - Friday, April 14, 2017 8:43 AM

Nope, I didn't write the bomb.  It was written into the system from the start and that was back in the early 1980's.  A lack of foresight or the original company/developers (it was an outsourced application at first) thought that a new system would be developed to replace it after a few years.  Funny thing, this software is still in use at this company.

So fairly typical situation then.
    "This application will likely only be used for X years before we replace / retire it"
    Application is still in use and even more critical X * Y^nth years later.

Same thing is the case with the majority of the bridges in the USA, expected to be replaced after 50 years, still in use and not replaced (and sometimes poorly maintained) 75yrs later and also now the main artery in/out of a city...

"Yes, we know it's out of date. But we CAN'T replace it. Mission-critical applications depend on this!"

I have this EXACT battle going on right now.

"These 2 financial systems don't agree - why?"
    "  Oh that's easy - this one use a 3 digit ratio to figure out the discount.  the other one use 6 digits.  when applying that to the billable amount - that adds up quickly."
    "Oh my - that's a problem"
    "no no - it's really easy - don't change the calculation - just change the data type and the problem goes away"
    "  oh but we can't.  Everything relies on this process, and changing that one line of code will cause a tear in the space time continuum resulting in the end of all life..."

sigh....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• This is one reason why I like DevOps philosophies. We need to be able to change things. We need a build system that lets us determine before production exactly what will happen. If we're going to tear a hole in the space time continuum, let's test that.

• jasona.work - Tuesday, April 11, 2017 1:46 PM

Just was looking in the topic on using Numeric as a Primary Key...

I know I'm probably going to annoy Jeff on this, but can we put Jeff Moden and Joe Celko in a room together and require them to discuss what makes a valid primary key?
    And video it?
    Please?
    :hehe:

Why suggest wasting Jeff's valuable time on talking to an arrogant and ignorant bigot who has decided that polite discourse is the wrong way to carry out technical discussions?

Tom

• jasona.work - Friday, April 14, 2017 6:12 AM

So a question occurred to me reading an article on a sysadmin who planted a logic bomb in a former employers' system...

What would it take for any of you to do something similar?  Presuming you had the means (whether it be a method of accessing the system from off-site, or something previously implanted that you prevent from executing,) how far would your employer have to push you before you would ignore the legal penalties and trash their systems?  Not some "prank," like setting up something to change all the corporate desktop wallpapers to goatse.cx or something, but something that caused real damage to the company (the article states the sysadmin trashed the companies financial database)

Myself, I don't think I could do something like that, no matter how shabbily I was treated.  Certainly I wouldn't speak well of the business, and I might even go so far as to publicly document my side of the story, but I wouldn't do anything to the actual companies equipment, etc.

What about you?

There's no way I would do that because of how they treated me.  But I can imagine a situation where the employer was acting illegally and screwing people left riht and centre and I needed to do something like that to expose them - maybe if I had worked for one of the big American companies who spend a lot of effort on violating European laws and regulations and trying to conceal what they do, but maybe not because the official bodies charged with policing that seem to be catching the worst offenders quite effectively and punishing them (with little or no effect, sadly - a few tens of million dollars penalty is apparently just another minor business cost) without any help from anyone like me.

Tom

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Sunday, April 16, 2017 10:19 AM

This is one reason why I like DevOps philosophies. We need to be able to change things. We need a build system that lets us determine before production exactly what will happen. If we're going to tear a hole in the space time continuum, let's test that.

Although I know that devops will make the organisation more able to determine what the right thing to do is, I don't think it will solve the real problem which is that the people who can take decisions are usually not the people who know the right answer, and often are not even people who care what the right answer is. 

Devops will not stop a marketeer from demanding the impossible from development and chucking resource down the drain to support a pointless  impossible endeavour (and the dev and ops people will get the blame for the financial damge that causes the company).  It won't stop an accountant being appointed purchasing director and "saving money" by buying inferior components to build the products with because he can see the saving up front (and move on to another company and a better paying job based on his having reduced production costs by 15% through his "improved" purchasing policies) and the long term cost to the company (loss of reputation, customers suing for damages,...) is no trouble to him because he will have moved on before it bites. Equally, a CFO can just choose not to pay some bills, and as he's the CFO it needs the board to over-rule him. 

I've seen that sort of idiotic behaviour by accountants more than once, on on occasion it cost the company a lot of money, and on another it just cost a lot of worry and pain until our Creative Director took the issue to the board (he was a better politician than I was, and one of us had to do it) and got the CFO's policies overruled because the board could see that company would be in breach of contract with all its customers around the world and have to cease trading (and pay a lot of penalties) if those policies were not scrapped.  I've also seen a marketeer who had got misplaced high enough up the tree to influence important non-marketing decisions cost the company a bomb by insisting that half a project be done, refusing to allow it to be delayed until the second half was studied and understood  (and as a result, the total cost was roughly 75% more than it should have been, and rather more that half the customers were pissed off because the part they needed was completed far later than it should have been).

Tom

• Heh.

I've only recently been hearing the term DevOps (yes, I must have my head in the sand), so I decided to Google it. Funny definition. Funny because that's what my particular group at Allstate has been trying to (and finally succeeding at) implement since I've been a part of the company back in 2005. It took us forever to get the culture change we wanted, but now we've got a better system than our corporate office in this regard.

I just didn't know there was an official term for it. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Sunday, April 16, 2017 10:19 AM

This is one reason why I like DevOps philosophies. We need to be able to change things. We need a build system that lets us determine before production exactly what will happen. If we're going to tear a hole in the space time continuum, let's test that.

So, when the Doctor comes a callin' wanting to know whose bright idea it was to tear that hole, does everyone take the blame or will there be finger pointing? @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• GilaMonster - Friday, April 14, 2017 1:37 PM

Well, not to spoil it for you, but I'm pretty sure Scooby Doo gets terrified by the ghost of Darth Vader.

I think that was Scooby anyway. I did hear Shaggy in the background yelling something about snacks.

@hide

• Brandie Tarvin - Monday, April 17, 2017 4:48 AM

Heh.

I've only recently been hearing the term DevOps (yes, I must have my head in the sand), so I decided to Google it. Funny definition. Funny because that's what my particular group at Allstate has been trying to (and finally succeeding at) implement since I've been a part of the company back in 2005. It took us forever to get the culture change we wanted, but now we've got a better system than our corporate office in this regard.

The do... It's called "common sense and teamwork"  but a lot of people didn't go there until it became a new bright-shinny object with a new buzz-word.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden - Monday, April 17, 2017 6:14 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Monday, April 17, 2017 4:48 AM

Heh.

The do... It's called "common sense and teamwork"  but a lot of people didn't go there until it became a new bright-shinny object with a new buzz-word.

Buzzword, buzzword. Shiny, shiny buzzword.

Buzzword, buzzword. Make some up now!

(sung to the tune of "Fish heads")

Viewing 15 posts - 58,096 through 58,110 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply