Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, April 18, 2017 12:08 PM

How do you respond to his latest response that an experienced person is needed to develop the solution DesNorton provided without insulting DesNorton?  I mean, a junior DBA/Database Developer could come up with that solution with a little BinGoogle-Fu or a decent mentor.  It really isn't rocket science.

Thanks Lynn
    I *almost* feel stuck in the middle.  However, I try to simpy smile and wave ...

• Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, April 18, 2017 12:34 PM

GilaMonster - Tuesday, April 18, 2017 12:30 PM

Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, April 18, 2017 12:08 PM

How do you respond to his latest response that an experienced person is needed to develop the solution DesNorton provided without insulting DesNorton?  I mean, a junior DBA/Database Developer could come up with that solution with a little BinGoogle-Fu or a decent mentor.  It really isn't rocket science.

By walking away. You won't persuade him of anything. You can't win, so stop playing the game.

The only winning move is not to play. 

W.O.P.R. - Wargames
    πŸ™‚

I'll be honest, I've been reading that thread now just to watch the train wreck.  Frankly, I think the denizens have behaved quite well, considering the attitude that I read into the OPs responses.  At this point, yeah, the best option is to just bail out, add the guy to an ignore list, and leave it.

• DesNorton - Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:01 PM

Thanks Lynn
    I *almost* feel stuck in the middle.  However, I try to simpy smile and wave ...

My first thoughts would have discounted your contribution and your skills/knowledge, not what I wanted to do.  Your solution was simple and elegant, just what I would have provided had I done so.

• Sean Lange - Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:00 PM

For me that list is only 2 names. SS and JC :Whistling:

I think I may have had one or the other or both of them on a list at one point but I think the list got deleted because I can't find it anymore.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• jasona.work - Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:18 PM

W.O.P.R. - Wargames
    πŸ™‚

I'll be honest, I've been reading that thread now just to watch the train wreck.  Frankly, I think the denizens have behaved quite well, considering the attitude that I read into the OPs responses.  At this point, yeah, the best option is to just bail out, add the guy to an ignore list, and leave it.

I don't know. I can read that thread both ways. Rereading it through the OPs eyes, I can see that he may be frustrated and really trying to be nice. On the other hand you can read into it that there was a hive attack on him. I think there were some responses that were too close to being SO level and not SSC quality. My response can certainly be read as an attack when I offered up the advice on teaching people to fish rather than giving them a fish. It was not intended that way, but I can certainly see it that way after re-reading everything.

I do think both sides probably piled on and caused things to get a bit over the top there.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• DesNorton - Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:01 PM

Thanks Lynn

As you should.πŸ™‚
    Simple question, simple answer.
    To read much more than into your answer would be a great assumption.
    You could be new to the field, or a seasoned pro.

Multiple employers, my multiple hats, and I can relate to the poster on some level.
    Although I am the type that when my automatic transmission dies in my truck, is likely to get a book, some tools, and a rebuild kit.
    Then tear into it. Then when I run into a roadblock, start searching for some guidance.

• SQLRNNR - Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:29 PM

jasona.work - Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:18 PM

W.O.P.R. - Wargames
    πŸ™‚

I don't know. I can read that thread both ways. Rereading it through the OPs eyes, I can see that he may be frustrated and really trying to be nice. On the other hand you can read into it that there was a hive attack on him. I think there were some responses that were too close to being SO level and not SSC quality. My response can certainly be read as an attack when I offered up the advice on teaching people to fish rather than giving them a fish. It was not intended that way, but I can certainly see it that way after re-reading everything.

I do think both sides probably piled on and caused things to get a bit over the top there.

We're about to find out πŸ˜‰ ... provided that no one answers my latest question for him.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Brandie Tarvin - Tuesday, April 18, 2017 4:15 AM

drew.allen - Monday, April 17, 2017 2:52 PM

Yes, I did blow up at someone on the forums.  I'm sure that the stress of being unemployed (and the consequent insomnia) played a role in this.

Drew

Drew, are you getting help with that insomnia? If not, you should consider it. Insomnia can cause a lot of health, social, and economic problems. I'm speaking from experience here.

Many of the symptoms of chronic sleep deprivation are indistinguishable from those of depression - Google just this and there's a ton of material out there. Good call Brandie.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work - Wednesday, April 19, 2017 2:06 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Tuesday, April 18, 2017 4:15 AM

drew.allen - Monday, April 17, 2017 2:52 PM

Yes, I did blow up at someone on the forums.  I'm sure that the stress of being unemployed (and the consequent insomnia) played a role in this.

Drew

Drew, are you getting help with that insomnia? If not, you should consider it. Insomnia can cause a lot of health, social, and economic problems. I'm speaking from experience here.

Many of the symptoms of chronic sleep deprivation are indistinguishable from those of depression - Google just this and there's a ton of material out there. Good call Brandie.

Getting help for my insomnia has made a heck of a difference in my life. Drugs weren't working for me (and I hate taking them when I don't have to anyway). Therapy did wonders.

They made me keep a sleep journal, which was a pain. They made me cut back my sleeping time to like 4 hours and then slowly lengthen it, which almost killed me. But after the therapy, things are working well. No electronics allowed in the bedroom. 30 minutes quiet time (no tv, no music, no laptop / phone, just a book) before bedtime. A rigid (with rare exceptions) sleep schedule. And a very bright "sun" light for an hour in the morning when I wake up.

Granted not everyone with insomnia can solve it that easily, but therapy should be a first option when possible.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• So I get to work, open up my email, and the first thing I see is a sponsored email from MSSQL Tips saying "Is the DBA Dead?"

My first response was to say (to myself) "No, but I sure feel like it this morning."

I hate sinus infections. HATE them.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• So what hotels have you been staying at lately?

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39642172

• Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:40 AM

So what hotels have you been staying at lately?

Luckily I can't afford to stay in hotels

• DesNorton - Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:45 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:40 AM

Don't stay in hotels, use Airbnb especially when coming to Atlanta. πŸ˜€

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • DesNorton - Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:45 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:40 AM

Used to stay at Crowne Plaza (Leeds) for the old job. Before the they first noticed the problem though, and I wouldn't be that upset if they were been charged for something that wasn't me. They're fault for not cancelling the card after all this time. Heh.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:40 AM

Oh.
    Joy.
    We made a reservation at a Holiday Inn a couple weeks back, although it's not in the US / Puerto Rico...
    Time to monitor the card.

Viewing 15 posts - 58,171 through 58,185 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply