Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Went to see "The Circle" over the weekend and I have to say, talk about a movie that seemed to be building up to a particular message, then bailed out and went the complete opposite direction at the end...

It could have very easily been a discussion on how much privacy people are giving up to "the cloud," but (I feel) chickened out in the end.  Probably because to do so would've potentially p*ssed off the three big companies that were more-or-less merged into the fictional company (The Circle) of the movie (Facebook, Google, and Apple, maybe with a dash of MS)

Arguably, I think if the movie had ended about 5-10 minutes sooner than it did, it would've been a much more powerful (and somewhat ambiguous) ending that it wound up with...
    Rating:  ** (out of 5)

Now, the other movie I saw this weekend I can recommend for adults and kids:
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2
    Loads of fun, nothing that you can't take the kids to see.
    Although I give it under a month before suction cup equipped Baby Groots start showing up in the windows of peoples cars...
    Lastly, if you go see it, stick around to the end of the credits, there's 5 scenes in the credits (one sets up for GoG:Vol3, one is a right for anyone with kids because it'll feel so, so true)
    Rating:  **** (out of 5, one taken off as it does slow down a few times)

• drew.allen - Friday, May 5, 2017 3:57 PM

Had an interview this morning that went so well, they decided to skip the in-person interview and just offered me the job.  😀

Drew

Nice one!

• jasona.work - Monday, May 8, 2017 7:13 AM

Although I give it under a month before suction cup equipped Baby Groots start showing up in the windows of peoples cars...
    Lastly, if you go see it, stick around to the end of the credits, there's 5 scenes in the credits (one sets up for GoG:Vol3, one is a right for anyone with kids because it'll feel so, so true)

"I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!" o/

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Monday, May 8, 2017 7:43 AM

jasona.work - Monday, May 8, 2017 7:13 AM

"I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!" o/

That was a funny bit.
    Marvel Studios seems to be really taking advantage (where it will fit) with being owned by Disney (No strings on me in Age of Ultron, Mary Poppins in GotG:v2, and I'll bet money there's a Disney gag in Thor: Ragnarok)

• ThomasRushton - Thursday, May 4, 2017 7:23 AM

Jeff Moden - Thursday, May 4, 2017 7:16 AM

As a wise man once said, "Half of all that is written [there -JBM] is wrong and the other half is written in such a fashion as you can't tell if it's right or wrong". 😉

See also: Sturgeon's Law - "90% of everything is crap."

Why is Sturgeon so often misquoted?   What he said in a lecture in 1951, repeated in a talk at a convention in 1953, and wrote in 1957 was "90% of everything is crud".   I think the first to misquote with "crap" instead of "crud" was the New York Times in 1977.  Maybe it's because our use of words changes over the decades.

Tom

• jasona.work - Monday, May 8, 2017 7:13 AM

Went to see "The Circle" over the weekend and I have to say, talk about a movie that seemed to be building up to a particular message, then bailed out and went the complete opposite direction at the end...

It could have very easily been a discussion on how much privacy people are giving up to "the cloud," but (I feel) chickened out in the end.  Probably because to do so would've potentially p*ssed off the three big companies that were more-or-less merged into the fictional company (The Circle) of the movie (Facebook, Google, and Apple, maybe with a dash of MS)

Arguably, I think if the movie had ended about 5-10 minutes sooner than it did, it would've been a much more powerful (and somewhat ambiguous) ending that it wound up with...
    Rating:  ** (out of 5)

Saw The Circle myself a week ago.  I would say the movie was okay, but I really expected more from the movie considering who was in it.  I agree, it fizzled at the end.

• Lynn Pettis - Monday, May 8, 2017 9:11 AM

Saw The Circle myself a week ago.  I would say the movie was okay, but I really expected more from the movie considering who was in it.  I agree, it fizzled at the end.

Yeah, the ending really did seem to be a complete 180 from what seemed like the thrust of the movie.  I'd say more, but if you haven't seen the movie and want to, I'd have to spoiler the ending to do so...

• jasona.work - Monday, May 8, 2017 9:28 AM

Lynn Pettis - Monday, May 8, 2017 9:11 AM

Yeah, the ending really did seem to be a complete 180 from what seemed like the thrust of the movie.  I'd say more, but if you haven't seen the movie and want to, I'd have to spoiler the ending to do so...

You can talk about the ending in the discussion on Jeff's "Forum Etiquette" article. No one ever reads that article. :Whistling:

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• BrainDonor - Monday, May 8, 2017 2:36 AM

Hey Redgate people - whoever wrote 'Smart Rename', you have my permission to pay them their weight in gold.

Saved me eons of grief. Or at least made space for some other sort of grief to fill.

Those Prompt people are good

• Thom A - Monday, May 8, 2017 9:38 AM

jasona.work - Monday, May 8, 2017 9:28 AM

Lynn Pettis - Monday, May 8, 2017 9:11 AM

You can talk about the ending in the discussion on Jeff's "Forum Etiquette" article. No one ever reads that article. :Whistling:

Now this last comment explains the steam of pork chops seen from the International Space Station just now.....
    😎

• Ed Wagner - Friday, May 5, 2017 8:00 PM

drew.allen - Friday, May 5, 2017 3:57 PM

Had an interview this morning that went so well, they decided to skip the in-person interview and just offered me the job.  😀

Drew

Congratulations, Drew.  I don't have the exact dates, but that didn't take to long, did it?  Well done.
    Have you decided if you're going to accept the offer?

I have accepted the offer.  Of all the jobs that I had applied for, it was the one that most closely matched my search criteria.  I had been contacted several times about opportunities in the King of Prussia area, which I outright rejected, because it was a nightmare commute the one time I had a job there.  This job is in Mt. Laurel, which is both closer and has better alternate routes.  It was also in the pay range that I was seeking.  The max that one opportunity would offer was 10K below my minimum, so I didn't even consider that one.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Another great day.  
    Moved the production reporting server database to a new box Saturday

Weeks ago, the dev and QA instances were upgraded to SQL2014 SP2.  No bad reports from testing.

Sent out the change request for production, included the various team leads on the request to provide testers on Saturday morning.  No responses.

Made the change, I tested what I could.

Today, the reports were running, but various graphic's didn't render.  Did some digging, it's a bug in SP2. I was able to duplicate the issue in dev and QA. 
    So, today I am the bad guy.  Gotta love Agile.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• drew.allen - Monday, May 8, 2017 11:18 AM

Ed Wagner - Friday, May 5, 2017 8:00 PM

drew.allen - Friday, May 5, 2017 3:57 PM

Drew

Congratulations, Drew.  I don't have the exact dates, but that didn't take to long, did it?  Well done.
    Have you decided if you're going to accept the offer?

I have accepted the offer.  Of all the jobs that I had applied for, it was the one that most closely matched my search criteria.  I had been contacted several times about opportunities in the King of Prussia area, which I outright rejected, because it was a nightmare commute the one time I had a job there.  This job is in Mt. Laurel, which is both closer and has better alternate routes.  It was also in the pay range that I was seeking.  The max that one opportunity would offer was 10K below my minimum, so I didn't even consider that one.

Drew

Congratulations!

• Michael L John - Monday, May 8, 2017 11:37 AM

Another great day.  

Weeks ago, the dev and QA instances were upgraded to SQL2014 SP2.  No bad reports from testing.

Sent out the change request for production, included the various team leads on the request to provide testers on Saturday morning.  No responses.

Today, the reports were running, but various graphic's didn't render.  Did some digging, it's a bug in SP2. I was able to duplicate the issue in dev and QA. 

Simple question, why wasn't it caught in dev and QA by the people doing the testing in those environments.

• Lynn Pettis - Monday, May 8, 2017 11:45 AM

Michael L John - Monday, May 8, 2017 11:37 AM

Another great day.  

Simple question, why wasn't it caught in dev and QA by the people doing the testing in those environments.

Because, apparently, it either never got tested at all, or very minimally.  I suspect that someone ran a report, said all is good, and moved on.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

Viewing 15 posts - 58,486 through 58,500 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply