Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I still remember Iron Maiden and Judas Priest in heavy rotation in the early days of MTV. Those were fun videos and songs. Never saw them live, nor would really now, but I'm glad you enjoyed it, Rodney

• rodjkidd - Tuesday, May 9, 2017 9:06 AM

Sean Lange - Tuesday, May 9, 2017 8:09 AM

All this discussion about aging bands is intriguing. I was at Jazz Fest in New Orleans Saturday and Sunday. Saw tons and tons of amazing musicians but for me the best set of the entire thing was Buddy Guy. He is the last of the living blues legends that were contemporaries of the late greats like Muddy Waters and B.B. King. He is 80 and his set was incredible. He had an ear to ear smile the entire set and just tore it up. He even jumped off the stage and walked through the crowd playing and singing. Was so glad to get to see him again as you never know how long some of these guys have left.

Next major music event is Iron Maiden with my oldest here in Kansas City early July. Up the irons!!

I did wonder how the Jazz Fest went. Buddy is someone else I'd like to see live. Sounds stunning.
    Enjoy Maiden!

Jazz Fest was awesome. Saw so many bands both at the fest and around town.

Our pub crawl Friday was great, I even remember it but a lot of it is pretty fuzzy.
    Olde Absinthe House
    Szazerac
    John Laffitte's
    Carousel bar
    Napoleon House
    Herme's bar

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, May 9, 2017 9:34 AM

I still remember Iron Maiden and Judas Priest in heavy rotation in the early days of MTV. Those were fun videos and songs. Never saw them live, nor would really now, but I'm glad you enjoyed it, Rodney

Haha, but you know me, I get withdrawal symptoms if I haven't gone to a gig for a month!
    They put on a great show, and are great showmen, so worth it.
    Saw them at the Corn Exchange when they did a Uni tour - turned out to be the start of the last tour for Bruce before he left. Never thought I'd see them play a venue that small. Rumour has it they were supposed to play Norwich uni as well, but the date was already booked :O

• Sean Lange - Tuesday, May 9, 2017 9:35 AM

rodjkidd - Tuesday, May 9, 2017 9:06 AM

Sean Lange - Tuesday, May 9, 2017 8:09 AM

All this discussion about aging bands is intriguing. I was at Jazz Fest in New Orleans Saturday and Sunday. Saw tons and tons of amazing musicians but for me the best set of the entire thing was Buddy Guy. He is the last of the living blues legends that were contemporaries of the late greats like Muddy Waters and B.B. King. He is 80 and his set was incredible. He had an ear to ear smile the entire set and just tore it up. He even jumped off the stage and walked through the crowd playing and singing. Was so glad to get to see him again as you never know how long some of these guys have left.

Next major music event is Iron Maiden with my oldest here in Kansas City early July. Up the irons!!

I did wonder how the Jazz Fest went. Buddy is someone else I'd like to see live. Sounds stunning.
    Enjoy Maiden!

Jazz Fest was awesome. Saw so many bands both at the fest and around town.

Our pub crawl Friday was great, I even remember it but a lot of it is pretty fuzzy.
    Olde Absinthe House
    Szazerac
    John Laffitte's
    Carousel bar
    Napoleon House
    Herme's bar

I'm going to have to stick that on the bucket list then. πŸ˜‰

• Brandie Tarvin - Tuesday, May 9, 2017 4:47 AM

GAH. Not awake this morning.

Made a recent change to code and am now unit testing. The change should have been invisible. Instead, I'm suddenly coming up with 552 (or so) more records than in the original run. I'm doing a LEFT outer join between one table and the backup of the table I made to find the different records. For some reason, I forgot that NULL doesn't equal NULL ever. So here I am trying to figure out how 552 records became over 1 million without warning and freaking out that I didn't just add records, but screwed up the original results set....

It takes breakfast to wake me up enough to realize the rookie mistakes I'm making on this discovery code. <FACEPALM>

I hope everyone else's morning is going better than mine. :crazy:

I'm in the process of correcting my rookie mistake in my parameter table. Somehow I completely missed the concept that the ETL might, just might, include more than one table with the same name.

Fixing in a way that won't break the running code has been an interesting experience.

• Luis Cazares - Tuesday, May 9, 2017 9:01 AM

Sean Lange - Tuesday, May 9, 2017 8:04 AM

Has anyone ever done a performance test of a table valued functions that are only a cte and query that begins with a semi-colon. Does it turn what would be an ITVF into a MSTVF from a performance standpoint? Hmmm....once I get caught up on the 200 or so emails from being out of the office for three days I may have to do some tinkering. πŸ˜‰

Because the syntax is different, the code to create such function gives an error.

Agreed.  If the semicolon is before the WITH and after the RETURN, it's an error.
    If you try to put it before the RETURN, that's an error.
    If you add a BEGIN, you've already crossed over to an MTVF.

Edit:  Yes, I realize neither of the things I tried made any sense, but I had to see it to be sure.  After all, such a creative question needed to be checked. πŸ˜›

• My boss broke SQL Server Database Mirroring.

Well, actually, he's just getting errors when creating a database mirror and asked me to assist, but I really really wanted to say the above line to someone. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, May 10, 2017 7:39 AM

My boss broke SQL Server Database Mirroring.

Well, actually, he's just getting errors when creating a database mirror and asked me to assist, but I really really wanted to say the above line to someone. @=)

Would he get 7 years' bad luck?

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work - Wednesday, May 10, 2017 7:45 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, May 10, 2017 7:39 AM

My boss broke SQL Server Database Mirroring.

Would he get 7 years' bad luck?

Maybe 7 CU :hehe:

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Can someone please follow up on this thread? I'm no going to be online much tonight or tomorrow, don't want the OP to feel abandoned
    https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1875410/Cannot-create-a-row-of-size-8208-which-is-greater-than-the-allowable-maximum-row-size-of-8060?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Did anybody else who doesn't live in "Washington D.C., the fifty (50) United States of America, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico" win a $10 Starbucks voucher in last month's SQL Clone Trivia Quiz?  Any recommendations on where I should come to redeem it, or indeed how I can get a flight cheap enough to make it worth my while?

John

• Sorry, John. I live in the 50 States but did not win a $10 gift card, so I'm the wrong person to ask on both counts.

On the other hand, I don't see how you can get a cheap enough flight unless you convince an airline that they've wronged you and need to give you a voucher.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• John Mitchell-245523 - Thursday, May 11, 2017 4:36 AM

Did anybody else who doesn't live in "Washington D.C., the fifty (50) United States of America, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico" win a $10 Starbucks voucher in last month's SQL Clone Trivia Quiz?  Any recommendations on where I should come to redeem it, or indeed how I can get a flight cheap enough to make it worth my while?

John

Seattle in Halloween? 😎

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Found another t-shirt I'm going to have to get - DBA t-shirt

And I can wear this one every other Friday - Grumpy Old man

Steve Hall
    Linkedin
    Blog Site

• Luis Cazares - Thursday, May 11, 2017 5:47 AM

John Mitchell-245523 - Thursday, May 11, 2017 4:36 AM

Did anybody else who doesn't live in "Washington D.C., the fifty (50) United States of America, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico" win a $10 Starbucks voucher in last month's SQL Clone Trivia Quiz?  Any recommendations on where I should come to redeem it, or indeed how I can get a flight cheap enough to make it worth my while?

John

Seattle in Halloween? 😎

Or give it to someone who is going to Summit πŸ˜‰
    As it appears, currently, I will have a very light carry on bag :O

Rodders...

Viewing 15 posts - 58,531 through 58,545 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply