Are the posted questions getting worse?

• BrainDonor - Thursday, May 11, 2017 7:04 AM

Found another t-shirt I'm going to have to get - DBA t-shirt

And I can wear this one every other Friday - Grumpy Old man

That second one - I'm not going to get it until they put a space between "Old" and "Man".

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• ThomasRushton - Thursday, May 11, 2017 7:21 AM

BrainDonor - Thursday, May 11, 2017 7:04 AM

Found another t-shirt I'm going to have to get - DBA t-shirt

And I can wear this one every other Friday - Grumpy Old man

That second one - I'm not going to get it until they put a space between "Old" and "Man".

You could change always your name to Thomas Oldman by deed poll instead 😉

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• rodjkidd - Thursday, May 11, 2017 7:04 AM

Luis Cazares - Thursday, May 11, 2017 5:47 AM

John Mitchell-245523 - Thursday, May 11, 2017 4:36 AM

Did anybody else who doesn't live in "Washington D.C., the fifty (50) United States of America, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico" win a $10 Starbucks voucher in last month's SQL Clone Trivia Quiz?  Any recommendations on where I should come to redeem it, or indeed how I can get a flight cheap enough to make it worth my while?

John

Seattle in Halloween? 😎

Or give it to someone who is going to Summit 😉
    As it appears, currently, I will have a very light carry on bag :O

Rodders...

Could donate it to your local PASS Chapter.  I'm sure somebody from that group would be going to Summit if you aren't and (speaking as a chapter leader) getting donated gifts is always nice.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• FYI: I just got accepted to speak at the 2017 Grace Hopper Conference about Careers in Database Administration. I'm doing the Student Opportunity Labs section of the conference. It's in Orlando, October 4th.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, May 11, 2017 9:06 AM

FYI: I just got accepted to speak at the 2017 Grace Hopper Conference about Careers in Database Administration. I'm doing the Student Opportunity Labs section of the conference. It's in Orlando, October 4th.

Congrats!

• BrainDonor - Monday, May 8, 2017 2:36 AM

Hey Redgate people - whoever wrote 'Smart Rename', you have my permission to pay them their weight in gold.

Saved me eons of grief. Or at least made space for some other sort of grief to fill.

haha! Forget whose tagline it is on here, but "semper in excretia, solum profundum variat" - one of my favorites

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Brandie Tarvin - Tuesday, May 9, 2017 4:47 AM

GAH. Not awake this morning.

Made a recent change to code and am now unit testing. The change should have been invisible. Instead, I'm suddenly coming up with 552 (or so) more records than in the original run. I'm doing a LEFT outer join between one table and the backup of the table I made to find the different records. For some reason, I forgot that NULL doesn't equal NULL ever. So here I am trying to figure out how 552 records became over 1 million without warning and freaking out that I didn't just add records, but screwed up the original results set....

It takes breakfast to wake me up enough to realize the rookie mistakes I'm making on this discovery code. <FACEPALM>

I hope everyone else's morning is going better than mine. :crazy:

hahaha, karma! not even a whole page since you said YOUR code was perfect!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• John Mitchell-245523 - Thursday, May 11, 2017 4:36 AM

Did anybody else who doesn't live in "Washington D.C., the fifty (50) United States of America, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico" win a $10 Starbucks voucher in last month's SQL Clone Trivia Quiz?  Any recommendations on where I should come to redeem it, or indeed how I can get a flight cheap enough to make it worth my while?

John

mail it to someone who can, they'll mail you back $10 minus postage worth of biscotti, so it'll travel well

• rodjkidd - Thursday, May 11, 2017 7:04 AM

Rodders...

Mine's likely to be a tad lighter than usual, and a lot bulkier.
    Dead tree books take up a lot of space. 🙁

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Anyone out there want help me with some high level guidance for a project plan for a Cyber Security Services Firm for SMB?  This is a college project for my daughter and I am trying to give her some high level ideas that she needs to then expand upon.  I am trying to help some here as she has several other projects she is also trying to complete before finals week (next week).  I have high confidence in her that she will take rough ideas and expand upon them as well as doing the necessary research.  This is a new area for her, and like me, in such a gray area just needs to be nudged in the right direction.

Hey, when she needed to port a Python program to C she decided there had to be a better way to write the program and researched and found SWITCH in C which greatly shortened and improved the original Python code with lots of nested IF THEN ELSEs.
    Just looking for ideas to help her along.  Talking to her it sounds like she should have all this weekend to build out what we can give her.

PM me if you are willing to throw a few ideas at her and I will send you the Project Plan she is trying to complete.

Yes, she is stressing, and taking some of that out on me unintentionally.  Seems like they are cramming a lot into a short period of time with not a lot of guidance (but that is just me based on some of the questions I have asked).

• GilaMonster - Thursday, May 11, 2017 11:54 AM

rodjkidd - Thursday, May 11, 2017 7:04 AM

Rodders...

Mine's likely to be a tad lighter than usual, and a lot bulkier.
    Dead tree books take up a lot of space. 🙁

Which reminds me, I'll have to remember to put a few in the bags as well

• jonathan.crawford - Thursday, May 11, 2017 11:41 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Tuesday, May 9, 2017 4:47 AM

GAH. Not awake this morning.

Made a recent change to code and am now unit testing. The change should have been invisible. Instead, I'm suddenly coming up with 552 (or so) more records than in the original run. I'm doing a LEFT outer join between one table and the backup of the table I made to find the different records. For some reason, I forgot that NULL doesn't equal NULL ever. So here I am trying to figure out how 552 records became over 1 million without warning and freaking out that I didn't just add records, but screwed up the original results set....

It takes breakfast to wake me up enough to realize the rookie mistakes I'm making on this discovery code. <FACEPALM>

I hope everyone else's morning is going better than mine. :crazy:

hahaha, karma! not even a whole page since you said YOUR code was perfect!

It is!

Once I get it into official testing. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I could use a little bit of SSIS brainstorming assistance over here if someone wouldn't mind. This one has me kind of stumped.

• Brandie Tarvin - Friday, May 12, 2017 5:02 AM

I could use a little bit of SSIS brainstorming assistance over here if someone wouldn't mind. This one has me kind of stumped.

Think I might have an idea, but I'm off for lunch, so will try and get back to you a little later after giving it a go and testing. Phil will probably beat me to it mind! 😛

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thanks, Thom.

Viewing 15 posts - 58,546 through 58,560 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply