Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin - Friday, June 16, 2017 4:36 AM

What type of machine are you using? Have you checked the brand's support site for info yet?

Toshiba, but I actually have no faith in them. When I got the laptop, it came with Windows 8, with a leaflet inside explaining how to update to Windows 10, and huge sticker on the laptop telling me where to go after booting up to upgrade as well.

After I upgraded (which i had every plan to do anyway, as Windows 8.1 is awful), my fn keys stopped working. Called up Toshiba support (Laptop was freshly owned that day), and after 45 minutes of hoop jumping the response I got was "You upgraded to Windows 10 and your laptop came with Windows 8. We can't help you, we don't support it as the laptop isn't as it was sold to you."

Fortunately, I did get them working again on my own a couple days later (the windows 7 drivers worked if I recall correctly), but I've never wanted to go near their support again.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Friday, June 16, 2017 5:17 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Friday, June 16, 2017 4:36 AM

What type of machine are you using? Have you checked the brand's support site for info yet?

Toshiba, but I actually have no faith in them. When I got the laptop, it came with Windows 8, with a leaflet inside explaining how to update to Windows 10, and huge sticker on the laptop telling me where to go after booting up to upgrade as well.

After I upgraded (which i had every plan to do anyway, as Windows 8.1 is awful), my fn keys stopped working. Called up Toshiba support (Laptop was freshly owned that day), and after 45 minutes of hoop jumping the response I got was "You upgraded to Windows 10 and your laptop came with Windows 8. We can't help you, we don't support it as the laptop isn't as it was sold to you."

Fortunately, I did get them working again on my own a couple days later (the windows 7 drivers worked if I recall correctly), but I've never wanted to go near their support again.

It sounds so familiar.  A number of years ago, we has Toshiba laptops at work.  They didn't work right and their support was a joke, much like you describe.  Anything the company could do to get out of solving a problem was fair game.  I've never bought one for personal use because of the experience I saw others go through.  It sounds like they haven't changed at all.  I'm glad you were able to get it working.  Best of luck with it.

• Ed Wagner - Friday, June 16, 2017 5:27 AM

It sounds so familiar.  A number of years ago, we has Toshiba laptops at work.  They didn't work right and their support was a joke, much like you describe.  Anything the company could do to get out of solving a problem was fair game.  I've never bought one for personal use because of the experience I saw others go through.  It sounds like they haven't changed at all.  I'm glad you were able to get it working.  Best of luck with it.

Yeah, won't be going back. We use HP at work, and never had a problem with them. If I buy another Laptop (which i probably will do sometime soon(ish)) then I'll probably go that way, You do pay a little bit of a premium for them, but I've had a good experience with them, and good customer service is worth a fortune.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• The SO is a Lenovo fan. He especially loves the battery life.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I like my ASUS ROG laptop.  I don't play many games on it, but that isn't the primary reason I bought it.  I wanted the power so I could easily run some VMs on it.  Now, if I could just find the time to learn Hyper-V I will be on my way.

• Thom A - Friday, June 16, 2017 6:02 AM

Yeah, won't be going back. We use HP at work, and never had a problem with them. If I buy another Laptop (which i probably will do sometime soon(ish)) then I'll probably go that way, You do pay a little bit of a premium for them, but I've had a good experience with them, and good customer service is worth a fortune.

I've used HP laptops for quite a few years and have no complaints.  Yeah, they're a bit more expensive, but they work.  To me, they're worth it.  They had a power cord recall a while back, but they sent me new ones.  All I had to do was fill out an online form with my serial numbers.  The laptop was almost due for replacement anyway, but it was still nice to just have it taken care of without having to spend 9 hours on the phone and encountering 101 different excuses.

I've never had to deal with HP customer service on the phone. Then again, I'm the type to try to fix it myself.  I remember so-called "customer service" years ago and and the frustration associated with it, so I learned to get along without it.

• Thom A - Friday, June 16, 2017 6:02 AM

Ed Wagner - Friday, June 16, 2017 5:27 AM

I have an HP laptop at home and it came with Windows 8.1... I took advantage of the free Windows 10 upgrade.  Since upgrading, sometimes the screen brightness goes backwards.  That is 100% is screen off and 0% is as bright as the screen will go.  Reboot usually fixes it, but it can be annoying.
    But to be fair, it was a $350 CDN touchscreen laptop so I can't really complain if it has a few little annoyances like that.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Ed Wagner - Friday, June 16, 2017 5:27 AM

I've had a couple toshibas and liked them. The only issue with the last one was I dropped it and the screen hinge came loose. Wanted $$$ to repair that part.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, June 16, 2017 9:30 AM

Ed Wagner - Friday, June 16, 2017 5:27 AM

I've had a couple toshibas and liked them. The only issue with the last one was I dropped it and the screen hinge came loose. Wanted $$$ to repair that part.

No sure you can blame it breaking due to being dropped as a "technical fault" though Steve 😉 Although I have seen people try.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Another reason for me to avoid Surface Pros...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/06/2017-surface-pro-least-repairable-ever-surface-laptop-is-made-of-glue/

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Thom A - Monday, June 19, 2017 5:02 AM

No sure you can blame it breaking due to being dropped as a "technical fault" though Steve 😉 Although I have seen people try.

:), didn't even try.

• I absolutely love my Lenovo Yoga Pro (Tablet/Laptop). It's been my machine for the past 3 years now at work. Slim, silver, beast.

• I just nearly spit out my coffee laughing. I was looking at a table built by some consultants for a project a few years ago. This is a product table and there are two columns for the product description. This is because we want a full description and a brief description that could be used as a preview. The funny part is this.

BriefDescription VARCHAR(MAX) NOT NULL

Keep it brief marketing folks. As long as it is under 2GB we should be good. :w00t:

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange - Tuesday, June 20, 2017 9:35 AM

I just nearly spit out my coffee laughing. I was looking at a table built by some consultants for a project a few years ago. This is a product table and there are two columns for the product description. This is because we want a full description and a brief description that could be used as a preview. The funny part is this.

Keep it brief marketing folks. As long as it is under 2GB we should be good. :w00t:

Heh - if that's the brief description, I don't want to know what the detailed description looks like. 😛

• Sean Lange - Tuesday, June 20, 2017 9:35 AM

I just nearly spit out my coffee laughing. I was looking at a table built by some consultants for a project a few years ago. This is a product table and there are two columns for the product description. This is because we want a full description and a brief description that could be used as a preview. The funny part is this.

How about this one for saying why a ReportKey was bad:

[badReason] [NVARCHAR](MAX) NULL,

Viewing 15 posts - 58,936 through 58,950 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply