Are the posted questions getting worse?

• jasona.work - Thursday, July 27, 2017 6:56 AM

Ah, teleworking...
    Day 1 of teleworking - I have determined that pants are a plot by the lizard-men from the center of the moon, who rule the world behind the scenes, to keep humans uncomfortable and unproductive.
    Day 1 (really?  STILL?) of teleworking - Womens' pantyhose make a most comfortable hat, especially when you tie the legs around your neck like a mens' tie.
    :hehe:

Do you have pets?

I'm curious as to how they're affecting your current situation. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, July 27, 2017 7:12 AM

jasona.work - Thursday, July 27, 2017 6:56 AM

Ah, teleworking...
    Day 1 of teleworking - I have determined that pants are a plot by the lizard-men from the center of the moon, who rule the world behind the scenes, to keep humans uncomfortable and unproductive.
    Day 1 (really?  STILL?) of teleworking - Womens' pantyhose make a most comfortable hat, especially when you tie the legs around your neck like a mens' tie.
    :hehe:

Do you have pets?

I'm curious as to how they're affecting your current situation. @=)

Three cats, all currently downstairs on the main floor in various states of napieness...
    So, not really impacting me working.

I'm currently working on setting up my home lab so I can test some things that I've been wanting to do for work, but don't want to test on my "real" servers (and it's a PITA to get a development PC, they don't allow "development work" to be done on machines connected to the network...)

• WHOO HOO! Go women in TECH!

We had a resume that reminded me of mine about 5 years ago (didn't claim to be expert, no word salad, etc.). The boss & coworker were a little skeptic but I convinced them to at least do a phone interview. She was nervous on the phone, but I convinced them she'd done well enough to bring in face-to-face.

And she ROCKED it. For all these people claiming 10-15 years of experience, she's the one who actually knew how to troubleshoot and write basic T-SQL code (including aggregate functions and the proper use of a GROUP BY statement).

So.. we'll see what happens next.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Phil Parkin - Thursday, July 27, 2017 6:39 AM

ThomasRushton - Thursday, July 27, 2017 5:17 AM

..from laughing so much.

Just shaking my head....

• Sergiy - Wednesday, July 26, 2017 5:51 PM

jasona.work - Wednesday, July 26, 2017 12:44 PM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Wednesday, July 26, 2017 11:54 AM

TomThomson - Wednesday, July 26, 2017 9:33 AM

Might be interesting to replace the KGB_POST_069 by SVR_RF_069 (for СлуÌжба внеÌшней развеÌдки - РоÑÑийÑкой Федерации  - foreign intelligence service of the russian federation) since the KGB ceased a few days more that 24 years 11 months ago, and its foreign intelligence function is now handled by the SVR RF.  Perhaps attract a different class of nice people?

And then you start a "Как Ñтать разведчиком" blog ....
    😎

Mmm, yeah, I don't think I'm going to click that link at work...
    Probably bad enough I hovered over it to see where it went...

Don't you worry!
    If you have Kaspersky Antivirus installed at work it will surely protect you from any threat which could possibly come from SVR.

Well, the "don't bother to apply if" page (Кто не может....) makes it clear that the SVR isn't interested in employing him - he is disqualified on a least two counts:-
    (1) foreign citzenship
    (2) lives abroad or has close relatives who do

So he doesn't need Kapersky's Ð°Ð½Ñ‚Ð¸Ð²Ð¸Ñ€ÑƒÑ to protect him from their recruitment efforts.

Tom

• So he doesn't need Kapersky's ????????? to protect him from their recruitment efforts.

Him - yes.

What about his laptop?

• Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, July 27, 2017 9:08 AM

WHOO HOO! Go women in TECH!

We had a resume that reminded me of mine about 5 years ago (didn't claim to be expert, no word salad, etc.). The boss & coworker were a little skeptic but I convinced them to at least do a phone interview. She was nervous on the phone, but I convinced them she'd done well enough to bring in face-to-face.

And she ROCKED it. For all these people claiming 10-15 years of experience, she's the one who actually knew how to troubleshoot and write basic T-SQL code (including aggregate functions and the proper use of a GROUP BY statement).

Wish I could say that.  All candidates, both men and women, all races, creeds, and colors, are seriously lacking in the basics be it for WebDevs, DBAs, or Database Developers.  The GETDATE() question continues to be a shockingly accurate litmus strip for interviews.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden - Saturday, July 29, 2017 2:49 PM

Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, July 27, 2017 9:08 AM

WHOO HOO! Go women in TECH!

Wish I could say that.  All candidates, both men and women, all races, creeds, and colors, are seriously lacking in the basics be it for WebDevs, DBAs, or Database Developers.  The GETDATE() question continues to be a shockingly accurate litmus strip for interviews.

I wish that were true. From the guys who could answer that question, none of them seemed up to snuff when they came in for the face-to-face. Totally bombed the T-SQL / GUI tasks we gave them. Of course, the guy who actually had multiple answers to that question turned down the face-to-face for another job... So maybe you're right...

• So he doesn't need Kapersky's Ð°Ð½Ñ‚Ð¸Ð²Ð¸Ñ€ÑƒÑ to protect him from their recruitment efforts.

Him - yes.What about his laptop?If he hasn't written somethig of his own that prevents certain areas of the registry being updated and remaining updated for more that a second other than when he jumps through a dozen hoops to permit it then his laptop is not adequately protected - whether or not he has Kapersky's antivirus on his machine - unless Microsoft's current prortection is adequate.  But I think that with Windows 10 and windows Defender the nicrosoft stuff probably is vastly better than what I used to have to cope with, and may even be adequate for most non-critical systems.

That costs a lot in performance, I know.   But I had to design something to do that (and get it implemented by my team) a dozen or so years ago because windows was hopelessly vulnerable and none of the AV suppliers were anywhere near competent (and none were affordable, but that would have been an accountant's problem, not mine) so we simply ensured that only software authorised by us was permitted to be referenced in the dangerous parts of the registry and nothing unregistered could run with admin privilege. And it was quite amusing to watch a customer's "clever" boy going quite crazy when he couldn't install the completely useless antivirus that he favoured on the machines that we provided - every time he installed it he found it wasn't there although he had used sysadmin access to the machine to install it - tand that convinced the customer's head of IT that we really did have a secure system..  I (as offically technical director and unofficially acting CEO) could have installed it, and so could my deputy (unofficially both head of development or head of QA but officially just a developer)  (we had an utterly lunatic structure at the time) but it would have been extremely difficult for anyone else to so so even if they knew our usernames and passwords on all machines both in-house and on customer premises (Which, incidentally, the whole of the creative team and the HQ-based part of the customer support team did) unless they knew what we had done to Windows.  (With Windows 10 and Windows Defender we wouldn't have needed to do that., I think.  Maybe my successor as TD (who is now officially CEO, so at long last an engineer officially has the job despite not being an accountant) has carried it forwards to the latest version of windows, but it seems more likely that with windows 10 he's junked that anti-just-about-everything code.

Tom

• I'm on a roll this morning. Just started a brand new to-do list of things that need done ASAP and managed to check 5 of them off within 15 minutes.

Feeling good!

• Crystal ball to aisle 7 please. Crystal ball to aisle 7.
    https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1889451/Should-I-Redesign-table

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster - Monday, July 31, 2017 5:33 AM

Crystal ball to aisle 7 please. Crystal ball to aisle 7.
    https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1889451/Should-I-Redesign-table

That one is going to be tough. Already all over the map in the question and the responses. WHEEEEE!

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Brandie Tarvin - Monday, July 31, 2017 5:01 AM

I'm on a roll this morning. Just started a brand new to-do list of things that need done ASAP and managed to check 5 of them off within 15 minutes.

Feeling good!

Can I delegate all my admin work to you please? Spent the morning so far working on company newsletter, internal documentation pages and abstracts.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster - Monday, July 31, 2017 5:36 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Monday, July 31, 2017 5:01 AM

I'm on a roll this morning. Just started a brand new to-do list of things that need done ASAP and managed to check 5 of them off within 15 minutes.

Feeling good!

Can I delegate all my admin work to you please? Spent the morning so far working on company newsletter, internal documentation pages and abstracts.

Sure! So long as I can send back the unfinished items tonight. Month end happens and the next week will be a blur of the usual month end related fire fighting and ghost chasing. "Your business rules say not to send that. Why do you think it should have sent anyway?"

• Sean Lange - Friday, July 21, 2017 9:49 AM

Ed Wagner - Friday, July 21, 2017 9:13 AM

This very long week is finally coming to a close.  I'm headed out on vacation for the next week.  I know I'll have a lot of catch-up reading on the thread when I get back.  Everyone have a good week.

Enjoy your vacation. Where you headed? Hopefully somewhere cool.

We went to the northwest corner of Michigan's lower peninsula.  It's a week-long family vacation we take every year.  No working, cooking, cleaning, chores, etc.  We had family activities, hikes, swimming, lots of other stuff outside and time to enjoy family and life in general. The only thing wrong with it is that it was only 1 week long, which is likely a downside of most everyone's vacations.

Viewing 15 posts - 59,476 through 59,490 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply