Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Ed Wagner - Monday, July 31, 2017 8:12 AM

Sean Lange - Friday, July 21, 2017 9:49 AM

Ed Wagner - Friday, July 21, 2017 9:13 AM

This very long week is finally coming to a close.  I'm headed out on vacation for the next week.  I know I'll have a lot of catch-up reading on the thread when I get back.  Everyone have a good week.

Enjoy your vacation. Where you headed? Hopefully somewhere cool.

We went to the northwest corner of Michigan's lower peninsula.  It's a week-long family vacation we take every year.  No working, cooking, cleaning, chores, etc.  We had family activities, hikes, swimming, lots of other stuff outside and time to enjoy family and life in general. The only thing wrong with it is that it was only 1 week long, which is likely a downside of most everyone's vacations.

glad that you had a great vacation.
    The other problem with vacations is needing a vacation to recover from your vacation.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS - Monday, July 31, 2017 9:56 AM

The other problem with vacations is needing a vacation to recover from your vacation.

Ahh the endless Cycle... 🙂

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• One item left on the work-related to-do list. Unfortunately, while I was working on other things, I realized one of my production SSIS config files was missing a very important property and value. DOH! Hopefully this will fix the issue I've been having for a few days.

It would certainly explain a lot if the package was using the original non-prod value for this step...

Time for a chocolate break.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• WayneS - Monday, July 31, 2017 9:56 AM

Ed Wagner - Monday, July 31, 2017 8:12 AM

Sean Lange - Friday, July 21, 2017 9:49 AM

Ed Wagner - Friday, July 21, 2017 9:13 AM

This very long week is finally coming to a close.  I'm headed out on vacation for the next week.  I know I'll have a lot of catch-up reading on the thread when I get back.  Everyone have a good week.

Enjoy your vacation. Where you headed? Hopefully somewhere cool.

We went to the northwest corner of Michigan's lower peninsula.  It's a week-long family vacation we take every year.  No working, cooking, cleaning, chores, etc.  We had family activities, hikes, swimming, lots of other stuff outside and time to enjoy family and life in general. The only thing wrong with it is that it was only 1 week long, which is likely a downside of most everyone's vacations.

Thanks, Wayne.  And yes, I did a whole lot more physical activity than I normally do, which was fun but can take a while to recover from.  I also ate a whole lot more than I normally do, which is also fun but has a long-term impact.  The trick is to limit the duration of both.

• Ed Wagner - Monday, July 31, 2017 10:51 AM

Thanks, Wayne.  And yes, I did a whole lot more physical activity than I normally do, which was fun but can take a while to recover from.  I also ate a whole lot more than I normally do, which is also fun but has a long-term impact.  The trick is to limit the duration of both.

So up and down sleeping bear?
    Some beautiful areas in Michigan.

• Greg Edwards-268690 - Monday, July 31, 2017 2:23 PM

Ed Wagner - Monday, July 31, 2017 10:51 AM

I went down and back up a couple of dunes, but not Sleeping Bear ones.  The coolest one had a 1.7 mile trail hike to get there...and then the same one to get back.  I don't care how many of those hikes I go on or how many times I come up out the woods onto the vast open sky with nothing but water below - it never gets old.

It might sound corny, but it's hard to believe that places like that, Sleeping Bear Dunes and Pictured Rocks are even in the same part of the country as Metro Detroit, much less the same state.  It would be a gorgeous place to live one day, but it would be pretty isolated in the winter, which hits harder and lasts a lot longer there than it does here.  Perhaps one day, but that day is not today.

• Speaking of hiking, I'm doing two charity walks over the next few weeks.
    The first is this sunday, in aid of neuroendocrine tumour therapy in Oxford. I have a good friend who is affected by this. I'll be walking half of The Ridgeway from Avebury to Goring.
    The second is a company team thing and it's for Cancer Research UK. My nephew Ben lost his fiancé to bowel cancer during their marriage ceremony in the hospice two months ago - I couldn't not sign up after that. I'll be walking the full Thames Path Challenge in September, that's from Putney to Henley. If you think that's a good stroll on a weekend, well last Saturday whilst practicing part of the route in reverse - Reading to Maidenhead, a mere 30 miles - I paced a few miles with a chap who was jogging from Bristol to Paddington, 140 miles. In one go. Humbling isn't it?
    Anyway, I don't know if touting for charity with live links is permitted on ssc, so pm me if you'd like to contribute. Thanks.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Ed Wagner - Monday, July 31, 2017 6:01 PM

Greg Edwards-268690 - Monday, July 31, 2017 2:23 PM

Ed Wagner - Monday, July 31, 2017 10:51 AM

I went down and back up a couple of dunes, but not Sleeping Bear ones.  The coolest one had a 1.7 mile trail hike to get there...and then the same one to get back.  I don't care how many of those hikes I go on or how many times I come up out the woods onto the vast open sky with nothing but water below - it never gets old.

It might sound corny, but it's hard to believe that places like that, Sleeping Bear Dunes and Pictured Rocks are even in the same part of the country as Metro Detroit, much less the same state.  It would be a gorgeous place to live one day, but it would be pretty isolated in the winter, which hits harder and lasts a lot longer there than it does here.  Perhaps one day, but that day is not today.

My grandparents used to own a place in Indian River up there, right on Burt Lake.  Loved going there, gorgeous woods to hike through (although I spent most of my time either in the lake or on the lake fishing.)  My dream is to one day drive up to the old place, knock on the door, and make whoever the owner is "an offer they can't refuse" for the place.
    The parents, when they took us kids up there, would every couple years take us across to Sleeping Bear for the day, or up to Mackinac and across to the Island with our bikes.  At least once we did the hike up Sleeping Bear, then all the way across to Lake Michigan.

• OK guys. I think it's way past time. We need to just unveil the magic "Run Really Fast" button that we know about and are hiding from the rest of the world. You all know as well as I do that we don't make databases run fast by setting up the servers correctly on adequate hardware, design properly normalized databases using good choices for the clustered indexes and then write decent code. We all just throw any kind of slop together that we want, any way we want, and then we just hit that magic button that we're hiding from the rest of the universe. I think it's time to come clean.

Actually, this rant would make a good lightning talk.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey - Tuesday, August 1, 2017 6:24 AM

OK guys. I think it's way past time. We need to just unveil the magic "Run Really Fast" button that we know about and are hiding from the rest of the world. You all know as well as I do that we don't make databases run fast by setting up the servers correctly on adequate hardware, design properly normalized databases using good choices for the clustered indexes and then write decent code. We all just throw any kind of slop together that we want, any way we want, and then we just hit that magic button that we're hiding from the rest of the universe. I think it's time to come clean.

Yeah, it probably would.  Are you going to cover all parameters of DBCC TIMEWARP and how to implement it in production code?  I can only presume that's the "run really fast button" you're referring to.  I'm curious about implementing it in a production procedure that's run frequently and what long-term effects such frequent use would have on the stability of the space-time continuum.  If we warp time on every run so the slop runs faster, would that cause a permanent rift?  Would the rift cause (or itself be) a black hole?  Be sure to include information on the parameter to control the growth of the event horizon or it could suck up everything.

• I think a small black hole might improve the system that Grant's ranting about.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I expanded this into a full blog post. Comes out a little after 10. Yes, DBCC TIMEWARP is mentioned, but no, it's not the "Run Really Fast" button.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey - Tuesday, August 1, 2017 7:09 AM

I expanded this into a full blog post. Comes out a little after 10. Yes, DBCC TIMEWARP is mentioned, but no, it's not the "Run Really Fast" button.

Grant, that was a wonderful rant.
    You should put a link to it in your signature, point it out to people who are looking for the "go fast button."

• Grant Fritchey - Tuesday, August 1, 2017 7:09 AM

I expanded this into a full blog post. Comes out a little after 10. Yes, DBCC TIMEWARP is mentioned, but no, it's not the "Run Really Fast" button.

You mean the old "Turbo" button was a lie?

This is worse than the disappointment I felt on finding out that the pubs database had nothing to do with pubs...  🙁

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Grant Fritchey - Tuesday, August 1, 2017 6:24 AM

OK guys. I think it's way past time. We need to just unveil the magic "Run Really Fast" button that we know about and are hiding from the rest of the world. You all know as well as I do that we don't make databases run fast by setting up the servers correctly on adequate hardware, design properly normalized databases using good choices for the clustered indexes and then write decent code. We all just throw any kind of slop together that we want, any way we want, and then we just hit that magic button that we're hiding from the rest of the universe. I think it's time to come clean.

So you've been in my office this morning, have you?

Everyone's mad that I started kicking people out of the reporting databases this morning because stuff hadn't finished. Now they want to know when it'll finish and they don't seem to understand that it'll be done faster if they stop querying against the database that's trying to update itself while it's doing the updates... Sigh.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 59,491 through 59,505 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply