Are the posted questions getting worse?

• TomThomson - Friday, September 15, 2017 6:18 PM

Jeff Moden - Thursday, September 14, 2017 7:37 PM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, September 14, 2017 7:06 PM

Jeff Moden - Thursday, September 14, 2017 5:36 PM

Will both of you be there for that one?

Gaahhh... crud...  never mind.  The hotel prices are nuts that year.

Crazy? There are rooms near $100 in the Springs.

The lowest price I saw for that Friday and Saturday was $719.

Ye Gods!!!  That's even worse than the UK. I can cope with UK prices (about £90 per night for a double room and breakfast for two people in a 4 star hotel, but could be 30% lower or 40% higher depending on location) but that's already crazy in comparison with Spanish or French or German or Belgian prices (I have no difficulty finding 4 star accomodation and breakfast for two people at 60 Euros, and can usually find someting under 50 Euros).   I used to visit Menlo Park and Seattle very often way back when (1999 - a previous century) and the good hotel prices then were not much different from good hotels in Edinburgh or Cambridge (UK not MA) or London (and were a lot cheaper than good hotels in Oxford).  So the price you found , Jeff, looks just plain insane to me.  Of course all countries have some insane price hotels (Lanesborugh and Dorchester in London, and the Taj in Mumbai, for example) but for that to be the cheapest is amazing.

Nope.  It was my mistake.  I was trying to see what booking a "package" would cost and it said "First, select your hotel" and it presented them with prices next to them.  I didn't realize that the seemingly insane prices where what the package cost would be if you selected that hotel.  That little tidbit was buried in some fine print.  So that price included the flight, 2 nights at the hotel, and a two day noon to noon car rental.  That's not so bad.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden - Friday, September 15, 2017 6:06 PM

paul s-306273 - Friday, September 15, 2017 4:21 AM

' I'm batting the right half of 1000 today.'

What on earth does that mean?

Batting "1000" (is short for 1.000 or 100%) means hitting everything pitched at you.  Unfortunately, I've not been doing that today.  I've messed up so many times today that  " I'm batting the right half of 1000 today."  If you look at the left side of the literal "1000", you get a "10".  Guess what you end up with on the right side of "1000"... double goose-eggs. :sick:  I've been missing first blush thoughts all day and have had to go back and check each time or be corrected by someone else.  Tough day.

Heh! Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking in terms of a numbers line, and placing the "right half of 1000" somewhere in the 501-1000 range - which made no sense within the context.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• I realise that I've not posted the table definitions, but if anyone can give any insight here I'd really appreciate it: https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1897549/Execution-time-Improvement-Knowing-the-problem-but-not-the-solution

I'm pretty confident the problem is in the WHERE clause (Underlined at the bottom) but, in all honesty, not sure how to keep the functionality with a different syntax; or I could just be being "thick" and suffering from Monday Blues. 😛

Cheers. 🙂

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Monday, September 18, 2017 7:12 AM

I realise that I've not posted the table definitions, but if anyone can give any insight here I'd really appreciate it: https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1897549/Execution-time-Improvement-Knowing-the-problem-but-not-the-solution

I'm pretty confident the problem is in the WHERE clause (Underlined at the bottom) but, in all honesty, not sure how to keep the functionality with a different syntax; or I could just be being "thick" and suffering from Monday Blues. 😛

Cheers. 🙂

Textbook catch-all query.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • My Google-Fu is failing me.  Does anyone know where I may find information comparing text comparisons vs numeric/binary comparisons?  Looking for performance information while working on some SQL tuning.

• Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, September 19, 2017 9:55 AM

My Google-Fu is failing me.  Does anyone know where I may find information comparing text comparisons vs numeric/binary comparisons?  Looking for performance information while working on some SQL tuning.

My blog ("are int joins faster than string joins".  was, I think, the title)
    At least, I did a comparison between joining on int columns and joining on varchar.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Finally getting some time to breath a bit.
    Checked my work phone before I left this morning, one of my production SQL was non-responsive.  E-mailed one of the guys who helps out with the servers to please take a peek and I'd dig in when I got in.  He rebooted the server (he's an OS admin, not SQL, but hey, SQL wasn't responding)  I get in, SQL services are all stopped.
    Get them going, grab the logs and start digging, server lost it's drives (it's a VM) yesterday *just* before I headed home for the day.
    All this while we're still dealing with communication issues between workstations to servers and servers to servers.  Which, of course, those responsible for the network are saying "it's not a networking issue.  Really.  Truly.  We think."

Always fun when something like this happens.
    Would've worked on the problem from home if I'd seen the e-mail sooner, but I tend to ignore the work phone until just before I leave.

• GilaMonster - Tuesday, September 19, 2017 11:44 AM

Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, September 19, 2017 9:55 AM

My Google-Fu is failing me.  Does anyone know where I may find information comparing text comparisons vs numeric/binary comparisons?  Looking for performance information while working on some SQL tuning.

At least, I did a comparison between joining on int columns and joining on varchar.

Thanks Gail.  Just quick question, do you think this would apply to comparing hash values (like MD5) instead of variable length strings?  I will try to set up some testing but it may have to be after the fact which may not be as helpful.

• Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, September 19, 2017 1:11 PM

GilaMonster - Tuesday, September 19, 2017 11:44 AM

Thanks Gail.  Just quick question, do you think this would apply to comparing hash values (like MD5) instead of variable length strings?  I will try to set up some testing but it may have to be after the fact which may not be as helpful.

No idea. Keep in mind I was doing unfiltered joins of millions of rows, so may not reflect real world usage.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster - Tuesday, September 19, 2017 1:42 PM

Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, September 19, 2017 1:11 PM

GilaMonster - Tuesday, September 19, 2017 11:44 AM

No idea. Keep in mind I was doing unfiltered joins of millions of rows, so may not reflect real world usage.

Understood, just that you might have a swag.  The blog was a good read, thanks again.

• OMG!  People are getting so literal!  "I am not using a system table."  Hey!  It was an example!  Get a clue!

• If anyone has any info on this, please let me know.
    https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1897898/Filtered-Index-on-a-Temp-Table-in-a-Stored-Proc-can-result-in-a-Error-602

Also, today is the 32nd anniversary of the most devastating earthquake that Mexico has faced, and there was a new one that collapsed several buildings. Please, keep the victims in your prayers.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • SQL Server is so weird sometimes. 

select 'a'+++++++++++++++++++++++'b'++++++++++++++++++++++++'c'
    returns abc.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Alan.B - Tuesday, September 19, 2017 4:44 PM

SQL Server is so weird sometimes. 

returns abc.

So what else is new?

• Alan.B - Tuesday, September 19, 2017 4:44 PM

SQL Server is so weird sometimes. 

returns abc.

Heh... yep... fun stuff.

SELECT '1,,,,,,'+$0, ',,,,,,1'+$0, '1,,,,,,1'+$0, '1,,,1,,,1'+$0;

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 15 posts - 59,941 through 59,955 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply