Are the posted questions getting worse?

• jasona.work - Monday, October 2, 2017 1:22 PM

jonathan.crawford - Monday, October 2, 2017 12:58 PM

Luis Cazares - Monday, October 2, 2017 10:10 AM

Thom A - Monday, October 2, 2017 7:57 AM

Anyone got any idea what time 2017 goes up, or is it just (at some point) "today"?

If you don't have it available, just use DBCC TIMEWARP to get it.

Don't bother, 2025 is much better finally. Microsoft really started making progress once Bill Gates became a disembodied head in a jar.

Wait, is the 2025 edition the one that requires the implantation of a neural link device that lets SQL Server use your brain power to offload query processing and requires all users of the database to have one?  Or is that the 2050 edition?
    Regardless, it works great with a big enough user base, but those people like me who put the neural link on their pet goldfish get some weird results...

Oh, great.  Just when we thought IE was dead, here comes the next version of it - SQL Server 2052 IE Implant Edition. 😛

• jasona.work - Monday, October 2, 2017 1:22 PM

jonathan.crawford - Monday, October 2, 2017 12:58 PM

Luis Cazares - Monday, October 2, 2017 10:10 AM

Thom A - Monday, October 2, 2017 7:57 AM

Anyone got any idea what time 2017 goes up, or is it just (at some point) "today"?

If you don't have it available, just use DBCC TIMEWARP to get it.

Don't bother, 2025 is much better finally. Microsoft really started making progress once Bill Gates became a disembodied head in a jar.

Wait, is the 2025 edition the one that requires the implantation of a neural link device that lets SQL Server use your brain power to offload query processing and requires all users of the database to have one?  Or is that the 2050 edition?
    Regardless, it works great with a big enough user base, but those people like me who put the neural link on their pet goldfish get some weird results...

No... you're getting it all mixed up.  All future editions require anal implants.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• And here's the download link for 2017. https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlserverstorageengine/2017/10/02/sql-server-2017-available-for-download/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • RIP Tom Petty

• Lynn Pettis - Monday, October 2, 2017 2:36 PM

RIP Tom Petty

🙁

• GilaMonster - Monday, October 2, 2017 2:30 PM

Thanks Gail. Got it running at home earlier. Had to remove and re-add the repositories (running Linux). A shame that they haven't released a Management tool for the Docker/Linux side of things, I was really hoping that would come out alongside SQL Server 2017. VS Code really is nowhere near up to scratch as SSMS. Shame, but usable none the less.

Hopefully the whole package won't take "too" long. At the moment seems like SQL Server for Linux is very much an incomplete product. Hopefully MS doesn't charge as much for the "incomplete" product, but I doubt that's the case. Can see that being a turn off for a lot of Linux users. Why should they pay the same going rate for just the data engine, when Windows users get SSRS, SSAS, SSIS, and more, plus tools like SSMS and SSDT are free and available on Windows and don't exist on the Linux/Docker side. Hopefully that'll change. 🙂

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Monday, October 2, 2017 4:17 PM

GilaMonster - Monday, October 2, 2017 2:30 PM

Thanks Gail. Got it running at home earlier. Had to remove and re-add the repositories (running Linux). A shame that they haven't released a Management tool for the Docker/Linux side of things, I was really hoping that would come out alongside SQL Server 2017. VS Code really is nowhere near up to scratch as SSMS. Shame, but usable none the less.

They changed the repo name. I didn't remove the old one. Added the new, refreshed keys, got the update package. Was quick on Ubuntu.

Hopefully the whole package won't take "too" long. At the moment seems like SQL Server for Linux is very much an incomplete product. Hopefully MS doesn't charge as much for the "incomplete" product, but I doubt that's the case. Can see that being a turn off for a lot of Linux users. Why should they pay the same going rate for just the data engine, when Windows users get SSRS, SSAS, SSIS, and more, plus tools like SSMS and SSDT are free and available on Windows and don't exist on the Linux/Docker side. Hopefully that'll change. 🙂

SSMS on Linux? Heresy! Would be nice though, but until then, can just another IDE. 

Give DataGrip a whirl. It's available via Linux, Windows and Mac. I <3 JetBrains IDE's. I use PyCharm for Python and they have subscription licenses now. You pay something like 19 USD a month for corporate users and 8.90 USD a month for individuals to get access to all their IDE's

https://www.jetbrains.com/datagrip/

Isn't PowerBI and SSAS available for Linux users via Azure now? Though, I have not seen the gateway compatibility lately. SSIS on the other hand, well...

• xsevensinzx - Monday, October 2, 2017 7:35 PM

SSMS on Linux? Heresy! Would be nice though, but until then, can just another IDE. 

Give DataGrip a whirl. It's available via Linux, Windows and Mac. I <3 JetBrains IDE's. I use PyCharm for Python and they have subscription licenses now. You pay something like 19 USD a month for corporate users and 8.90 USD a month for individuals to get access to all their IDE's

Isn't PowerBI and SSAS available for Linux users via Azure now? Though, I have not seen the gateway compatibility lately. SSIS on the other hand, well...

Although datagrip looks nice, I'm not looking for a paid solution; again, especially when SSMS is free on Windows. The stuff I do at home is for my own benefit and development; so I can't charge the expense back to the company. 🙂

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Tuesday, October 3, 2017 2:13 AM

xsevensinzx - Monday, October 2, 2017 7:35 PM

Although datagrip looks nice, I'm not looking for a paid solution; again, especially when SSMS is free on Windows. The stuff I do at home is for my own benefit and development; so I can't charge the expense back to the company. 🙂

Well technically, if you're worried about keeping everything on Linux and then you have to buy Windows to manage SQL Server on Linux, DataGrip is the cheaper option because Linux is free where Windows is not. Just sayin.

• Thom A - Tuesday, October 3, 2017 2:13 AM

xsevensinzx - Monday, October 2, 2017 7:35 PM

I agree, paying monthly to get a bunch of tools that I'm not going to use constantly is not worth it. There are more alternatives: https://alternativeto.net/software/sql-server-management-studio/?platform=linux

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • xsevensinzx - Tuesday, October 3, 2017 6:31 AM

Well technically, if you're worried about keeping everything on Linux and then you have to buy Windows to manage SQL Server on Linux, DataGrip is the cheaper option because Linux is free where Windows is not. Just sayin.

In less than 2 years, you would have paid more for the DataGrip license than a full Windows 10 Pro license. Just saying.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares - Tuesday, October 3, 2017 6:37 AM

xsevensinzx - Tuesday, October 3, 2017 6:31 AM

In less than 2 years, you would have paid more for the DataGrip license than a full Windows 10 Pro license. Just saying.

This is true, but for someone like me, I def do use the other IDE's they offer for Python, C/C++ and more. I also use DataGrip for more than just SQL Server. That's the added value for data professions. If you're just stuck on one engine, maybe not so much. Other than that, the value is saved not having to get all the other tools for all the other languages and engines.

• 'twas a pleasure serving with you guys.

What about Visual Studio Code?
    https://code.visualstudio.com/download
    😎

Viewing 15 posts - 60,046 through 60,060 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply