Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Thom A - Friday, October 13, 2017 9:20 AM

Phil Parkin - Friday, October 13, 2017 9:10 AM

Michael L John - Friday, October 13, 2017 8:56 AM

SSMS 2017 is working fine with 2005, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2014, and 20126.  Yes, I still have to support all of them!

Timewarp again?
    And lucky you, having all of those to support :ermm:

Times like this I'm glad it's just 2012 and 2008 here. 😀

Mike has it worse than I do.  I have to support 2005, 2008, 2012 and 2016.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, October 12, 2017 11:24 AM

Things need tuning for sure, though this is a third party app, so @#%$!@#%$%#$

Am going to try and find time to tune this next year and submit PRs to the vendor for inclusion in their updates. Need to let one patch go through this fall and then work on cleaning things up.

I was just going to post here on that subject.  Glad to see it's not just my computer.  Thanks, Steve.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Phil Parkin - Friday, October 13, 2017 9:28 AM

Thom A - Friday, October 13, 2017 9:20 AM

Times like this I'm glad it's just 2012 and 2008 here. 😀

Even that would frustrate me. SSIS changed so much in 2012, I'd hate to have to deal with it in 2008 again.

Oh, I cringe every time I open up BIDS... Fortunately I've moved a lot of the stuff over to the SQL 2012 box, but when I have to use that box I do wonder where all my tools have gone. The lack of SSIS Catalog and Shared Data Sources are two biggies, to name a couple.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Good! We're meant to be migrating our main 3rd party server over tomorrow, but thought I'd check just before the end of day that everything was ready. New server has completely fallen over... /facepalm.

Last hour and a bit spent trying to get up and running to no avail... Going to now be a VERY long day tomorrow. Was already planned to be a midnighter but at least starting when the staff go home, now it's before they're in so we can try and get the damn thing rebuilt. Yay!

So glad I got a new bottle of Scotch last night. 🙂

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Friday, October 13, 2017 11:00 AM

Good! We're meant to be migrating our main 3rd party server over tomorrow, but thought I'd check just before the end of day that everything was ready. New server has completely fallen over... /facepalm.

Last hour and a bit spent trying to get up and running to no avail... Going to now be a VERY long day tomorrow. Was already planned to be a midnighter but at least starting when the staff go home, now it's before they're in so we can try and get the damn thing rebuilt. Yay!

It sounds like you have a rough weekend ahead of you.  Well, here's to hoping you stay sane.

• I'm all set to start my birthday weekend in New Orleans. Any recommendations for things I shouldn't miss? Taking into account that I'm with my wife, mother-in-law and probably my dog.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares - Friday, October 13, 2017 1:57 PM

I'm all set to start my birthday weekend in New Orleans. Any recommendations for things I shouldn't miss? Taking into account that I'm with my wife, mother-in-law and probably my dog.

Happy birthday!!! You definitely want to hit the French Quarter. There are some really great bars there. Make sure you venture into John Lafitte's. It is one of the oldest bar in the country. You also will want to hit the Carousel bar. The main bar is a rotating bar in the middle of the room. There is a second bar in there as well as seats at the carousel bar are hard to find. They have some great local musicians in there every night of the week too. There is a LOT of cool local history there as well. Also worth a trip if you have time is to take a tour of the Abita brewery. The NOLA brewery is also really good. They have some great beers and there is a decent BBQ place inside. They have a number of different regional influenced sauces, but I don't totally agree with the regions they place on all their sauces. Their version of poutine is amazing!!!

And of course there are festivals nearly every weekend, this weekend is no exception. http://www.nola.com/festivals/index.ssf/2017/10/festivals_around_new_orleans_f.html I have been to that gumbo festival before and it is good stuff.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

I'm all set to start my birthday weekend in New Orleans. Any recommendations for things I shouldn't miss? Taking into account that I'm with my wife, mother-in-law and probably my dog.

Happy birthday! Enjoy it 🙂

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Ed Wagner - Friday, October 13, 2017 1:46 PM

Thom A - Friday, October 13, 2017 11:00 AM

Good! We're meant to be migrating our main 3rd party server over tomorrow, but thought I'd check just before the end of day that everything was ready. New server has completely fallen over... /facepalm.

It sounds like you have a rough weekend ahead of you.  Well, here's to hoping you stay sane.

Thanks. Fortunately it's overtime rather than time in lieu. That should help the sanity. 🙂

Edit:  So it seems that, ironically, the failover cluster failed. (Un)fortunately that wasn't built by us, but a real pain. We've got it back up and running, which means we don't have to do a rebuild, but it doesn't start up at boot, you have to give it a second kick. note ideal when it's hosting our main application backend! Their engineer is looking at it instead now, so leaves me with some free hours.

Ahh well, at least second breakfast is on the company now. 🙂 Now... how manysausages and bacon rashes shall I get in my Full English... Black Pudding anyone? :hehe:

Thom~

Larnu.uk

Happy birthday mate! My suggestion would be The National WWII Museum
    😎

• Thom A - Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:41 AM

Ahh well, at least second breakfast is on the company now. 🙂 Now... how manysausages and bacon rashes shall I get in my Full English... Black Pudding anyone? :hehe:

Bacon rash? I think you can get some cream to fix that.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin - Saturday, October 14, 2017 7:24 AM

Thom A - Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:41 AM

Did you mean: bacon rashers?
    😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Saturday, October 14, 2017 7:31 AM

Phil Parkin - Saturday, October 14, 2017 7:24 AM

Did you mean: bacon rashers?
    😎

Ha! Yes I did... I can't even blame the coffee... I was on my third when typing that. /headdesk

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• And we're done! Whoop whoop!

Surprisingly went smoothly, and didn't end as a midnighter. 😀

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Phil Parkin - Saturday, October 14, 2017 7:24 AM

I just don't buy the bacon if it has a rash. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 15 posts - 60,121 through 60,135 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply