Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Thom A - Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:11 PM

And we're done! Whoop whoop!

Surprisingly went smoothly, and didn't end as a midnighter. πŸ˜€

When do the users come in to use the system?  πŸ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden - Saturday, October 14, 2017 5:36 PM

Thom A - Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:11 PM

Tomorrow. However, we saw a customer go full cycle through the website and purchase a product almost as soon as we went online, so was a good sign. πŸ™‚

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Sunday, October 15, 2017 3:09 AM

Jeff Moden - Saturday, October 14, 2017 5:36 PM

Thom A - Saturday, October 14, 2017 2:11 PM

Tomorrow. However, we saw a customer go full cycle through the website and purchase a product almost as soon as we went online, so was a good sign. πŸ™‚

Yes, that's certainly a good sign.  Have you gotten a decent load on the server since then?

• Ed Wagner - Monday, October 16, 2017 5:33 AM

Yes, that's certainly a good sign.  Have you gotten a decent load on the server since then?

Yeah, got in early this morning and not had any real problems. The backup service wasn't working, but that was because the 3rd party had change the naming convention of the files, but not updated the purge script with the new convention (so we came in to see the Back up partition was 90% full). We were hoping that the database rebuild would run as well, but the service account password expired (3rd party client application account), so the script failed. We're hoping, however, that the speed from the Application Server to SQL Server will be much faster now, as the VM host has a 10Gb connection, compared to the 100Mbps the old one had.

Other than that, seems good. Only calls that have come into the support desk has been the usual "There's been a weekend and I can't remember my password because i haven't used it for 2 days". Usual candidates.

I was honestly expected things to go awfully, considering that every test we'd done had failed in some aspect. :hehe:

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Luis Cazares - Wednesday, October 11, 2017 6:30 AM

Ed Wagner - Wednesday, October 11, 2017 5:13 AM

Thom A - Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:42 AM

People are still running SQL Server 2000 and Windows XP. Wouldn't surprise me if people are still using Office 2007.

Many have moved, but I do know of one company that's using Office 2003.  Thankfully, I don't work there. πŸ˜›

I would think that staying that far behind requires more work than an actual migration. At least for workstations.

Only if you care about things that folks willing to stay that far behind (basically, cheapsters that think they can't afford upgrades), aren't even usually aware of.

• Michael L John - Friday, October 13, 2017 8:56 AM

Ed Wagner - Friday, October 13, 2017 6:56 AM

Jack Corbett - Friday, October 13, 2017 6:48 AM

ThomasRushton - Friday, October 13, 2017 2:27 AM

BrainDonor - Friday, October 13, 2017 12:56 AM

Thom A - Thursday, October 12, 2017 6:24 AM

That's a handy little node Microsoft have added to SSMS (17.3). They've put "XE profiler" at the bottom of the objects for a serve. Effectively does the job of profiler via Extended Events (but, obviously isn't using profiler). A nice little feature, and much easier to use than having to create an Extended Events for something you don't already have set up (and don't need long term so remove afterwards).

It is nice but there are a few bugs, which is a pity because I don't believe it was a major technical challenge to add it.

There are a few other gotchas with SSMS 17.3 - particularly with its now-non-support of SQL2005's Agent tasks (I know, I know...)  So don't get rid of SSMS2014 just yet!

AFAIK SSMS 2016 works with 2005, I don't have any 2005 servers around to check though, so...

SSMS 2016 does work with SQL 2005.  I still have one I have to support.

SSMS 2017 is working fine with 2005, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2014, and 20126.  Yes, I still have to support all of them!

18,110 years into the future, he sees.  And all because of a typo..   Man, sure wish I could do that !!!

P.S.  Oh... wait ... I can do that...   SQL 65000 also supports it...   (amazing what a misplaced decimal point can help you with, eh?)

• Forums appear to be on a bit of a go slow again. πŸ™

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Adding web capacity to hopefully speed things up a bit

• Thom A - Monday, October 16, 2017 7:26 AM

Forums appear to be on a bit of a go slow again. πŸ™

REALLY SLOW.  It's actually starting to make the Green spinner for SSRS look good. πŸ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, October 16, 2017 7:39 AM

Adding web capacity to hopefully speed things up a bit

Thanks, Steve.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Lagg caused me to double post.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Sky is a really odd colour here. The hurricane over Ireland and The North has brought loads of dust from the Sahara over the country. It almost as dark as night here and everything is bathed in red. It's really eerie.

The camera has autocorrected the colour quite a bit, but you get the idea a bit. It's almost like the total eclipse in '99. Birds have even gone quiet it's so dark out there.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Monday, October 16, 2017 8:58 AM

Sky is a really odd colour here. The hurricane over Ireland and The North has brought loads of dust from the Sahara over the country. It almost as dark as night here and everything is bathed in red. It's really eerie.

The camera has autocorrected the colour quite a bit, but you get the idea a bit. It's almost like the total eclipse in '99. Birds have even gone quiet it's so dark out there.

The end is near!

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares - Monday, October 16, 2017 10:00 AM

Thom A - Monday, October 16, 2017 8:58 AM

Sky is a really odd colour here. The hurricane over Ireland and The North has brought loads of dust from the Sahara over the country. It almost as dark as night here and everything is bathed in red. It's really eerie.

The end is near!

I was watching this on the RAF Brats group on FB. Cornish brats, then Portsmouth/Southampton, Swindon, Reading, Maidenhead and finally here in London a couple of hours ago. Very strange light, dull but squinty too, like it had UV or IR just detectable.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• hey look at that, there's a forum for 2017.....aaaand the only question doesn't have enough info to give an answer. awesome.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

Viewing 15 posts - 60,136 through 60,150 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply