Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Luis Cazares - Thursday, October 26, 2017 10:50 AM

Sean Lange - Thursday, October 26, 2017 10:43 AM

Luis Cazares - Thursday, October 26, 2017 10:33 AM

And that's why we got a house without carpet.

LOL. My thoughts for a solution seem to run akin to Jeff's. Get a house without pets...but of course I would really hate not having our dog around.

One pet is fine.
    Two pets might not be for everyone.
    Three or more...Are we running a shelter?

Of course, anything in a fish tank doesn't count as a pet, just as ornaments.

Much more than 3 and I'd have to ask if you're trying to start your own zoo.

Sean Lange - Thursday, October 26, 2017 10:43 AM

Luis Cazares - Thursday, October 26, 2017 10:33 AM

And that's why we got a house without carpet.

LOL. My thoughts for a solution seem to run akin to Jeff's. Get a house without pets...but of course I would really hate not having our dog around.

One pet is fine.

But requires just as much if not more effort to care for.

• Hugo Kornelis - Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:26 AM

Why not set up Service Broker to sync these attachments?

(Very lightweight trigger on attachment table, to put message on queue; activated stored procedure checks if the affected row needs to be copied to the other location; message with attachment contents on separate conversation to the other server if that is the case)

(Does it show that I have been working on my PASS presentation on Service Broker applications today???)

Yeah, sure, that would be super quick and easy to do. I'm sure my .NET developers would love to learn SSSB.

One pet is fine.

6 horses, 4 dogs, 5 cats. I guess I have a ranch shelter.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:06 PM

Hugo Kornelis - Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:26 AM

Why not set up Service Broker to sync these attachments?

(Very lightweight trigger on attachment table, to put message on queue; activated stored procedure checks if the affected row needs to be copied to the other location; message with attachment contents on separate conversation to the other server if that is the case)

(Does it show that I have been working on my PASS presentation on Service Broker applications today???)

Yeah, sure, that would be super quick and easy to do. I'm sure my .NET developers would love to learn SSSB.

Who needs .NET developers for something you can build yourself?

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Hugo Kornelis - Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:28 PM

Who needs .NET developers for something you can build yourself?

Those of us lacking permissions :crazy:

• Is there a tool like SSMS that can be run on a Mac or Linux laptop?

• Lynn Pettis - Friday, October 27, 2017 9:52 AM

Is there a tool like SSMS that can be run on a Mac or Linux laptop?

Exactly what I've been looking for today. I had been using dbeaver, but today, discovered that it treats ; the same as GO. Most of the stuff I do at home hasn't been parameter/variable based, so hadn't mattered, however, today I wrote the below query for a user here:

DECLARE @pDB nvarchar(50) = 'Sandbox'; --In SSRS you won't need to declare this
    IF @pDB IN (SELECT name FROM sys.databases) BEGIN

DECLARE @SQL nvarchar(4000);
        SET @SQL = N'SELECT name from ' + @pDB + '.sys.tables;';
        EXEC sp_executesql @SQL;
    END ELSE BEGIN
        PRINT 'Database supplied does not exist.';
    END
    GO

All hell broke loose. Error for @pDB hadn't been declared, error near END, near ELSE. :sick: All because it treated the semi-colon as a batch separator and not a statement terminator.

I went back to Visual Studio Code with the mssql extension (where that paste is from as SSC, Firefox and VS Code don't agree well with striped format pasting), but it's not an administration tool, far from it. I did pose the question to Microsoft a while ago on Microsoft docs, and their response was:

You're exactly right that SSMS on Windows is not a plus unless you're already in a mixed environment. Visual Studio code and the mssql extension offers a little better experience, because you have a GUI tool that runs on Linux and can also run T-SQL queries with intellisense and graphical tabular results. But this is still not an admin tool. If you see the roadmap slide at the end of this Ignite talk on SQL tools everywhere, https://myignite.microsoft.com/videos/53382, you'll see that a cross-platform graphical admin tool is in the plans.

So, there is something in the pipeline, but I doubt it'll be before SQL server 2019.

There a list on alternative to: https://alternativeto.net/software/sql-server-management-studio/?platform=linux. I'm going to have a look at Valentina Studio, however, it states it's "freemium" *shivers*. I tried SQuirreL SQL a year or so ago but didn't like the Java interface. I've had someone recommend DataGrip to me, but I'm not paying for Commercial Software for a home.

If you try any and like them, please let me know. 🙂

Hopefully SSMS for Linux (or whatever it ends up being called) isn't too far away, and I'm just being skeptical. SSMS is a great tool, and it's sad that with SQL Server on Linux out, you don't have the administration tool to go with it. it's still forces those in Linux only environments to get Windows, and that (kind of) defeats the purpose.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Friday, October 27, 2017 10:17 AM

Lynn Pettis - Friday, October 27, 2017 9:52 AM

Exactly what I've been looking for today. I had been using dbeaver, but today, discovered that it treats ; the same as GO. Most of the stuff I do at home hasn't been paramter/variable based, so hadn't matter, however, today I wrote the query:

DECLARE @pDB nvarchar(50) = 'Sandbox'; --In SSRS you won't need to declare this
    IF @pDB IN (SELECT name FROM sys.databases) BEGIN

DECLARE @SQL nvarchar(4000);
        SET @SQL = N'SELECT name from ' + @pDB + '.sys.tables;';
        EXEC sp_executesql @SQL;
    END ELSE BEGIN
        PRINT 'Database supplied does not exist.';
    END
    GO

All hell broke loose. Error for @pDB hadn't been declared, error near END, near ELSE. :sick:

I went back to Visual Studio Code with the mssql extension (where that paste is from as SSC, Firefox and VS Code don't agree well with striped format pasting), but it's not an administration tool, far from it. I did pose the question to Microsoft a while ago on Microsoft docs, and their response was:

You're exactly right that SSMS on Windows is not a plus unless you're already in a mixed environment. Visual Studio code and the mssql extension offers a little better experience, because you have a GUI tool that runs on Linux and can also run T-SQL queries with intellisense and graphical tabular results. But this is still not an admin tool. If you see the roadmap slide at the end of this Ignite talk on SQL tools everywhere, https://myignite.microsoft.com/videos/53382, you'll see that a cross-platform graphical admin tool is in the plans.

So, there is something in the pipeline, but I doubt it'll be before SQL server 2019.

There a list on alternative to: https://alternativeto.net/software/sql-server-management-studio/?platform=linux. I'm going to have a look at Valentina Studio, however, it states it's "freemium" *shivers*. I tried SQuirreL SQL a year or so ago but didn't like the Java interface. I've had someone recommend DataGrip to me, but I'm not paying for Commercial Software for a home.

If you try any and like them, please let me know. 🙂

Hopefully SSMS for Linux (or whatever it ends up being called) isn't too far away, and I'm just being skeptical. SSMS is a great tool, and it's sad that with SQL Server on Linux out, you don't have the administration tool to go with it. it's still forces those in Linux only environments to get Windows, and that (kind of) defeats the purpose.

Not looking for a full admin tool as such, but something that would allow individuals using Linux/Mac laptops to at least connect to SQL Server and write queries, even some database objects.  Be even better if the tool could run Redgate tools like SQL Source Control and SQL Prompt.  I have lots of goals for some internal databases since the products for our customers are moving away from SQL Server.

• Lynn Pettis - Friday, October 27, 2017 10:25 AM

Not looking for a full admin tool as such, but something that would allow individuals using Linux/Mac laptops to at least connect to SQL Server and write queries, even some database objects.  Be even better if the tool could run Redgate tools like SQL Source Control and SQL Prompt.  I have lots of goals for some internal databases since the products for our customers are moving away from SQL Server.

If you just want to run queries, Visual Studio code with the mssql extension should do you fine.

You can't navigate the server though, no object explorer. It's simply an inteface to be able to write and run queries on, return datasets, etc. It also has (un)intellisense like SSMS does.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Run SSMS inside a container?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey - Friday, October 27, 2017 10:31 AM

Unless my understanding of containers is wrong/dated, can't they only be the same as the host OS. Thus Windows can only run Windows Containers, Linux can only run Linux Containers, etc. To run a Windows container on a Docker/Linux host you'd firstly need a Windows VM on the Host, but then you might as well just run SSMS on the VM.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Grant Fritchey - Friday, October 27, 2017 10:31 AM

Docker to the rescue!  Tools are expanding faster than I can even learn their names.

No. There's nothing like SSMS. There are query tools, more like using VS Code to run queries. There's Aqua something for OSX, and VSCode certainly works elsewhere.

• If you want SSMS in a container, look at turbo.net. I've used that with SSMS in a container, but not sure that would work on Linux. The underlying architecture of the container uses the host OS for some things. The kernel and system files are mapped back out the host, unlike a VM, where the entire kernel is virtualized.

Viewing 15 posts - 60,211 through 60,225 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply