Are the posted questions getting worse?

• @Lynn

Regarding your earlier question about a version of SSMS for Linux, announced this morning was SQL Operations Studio (aka Project Carbon), a cross platform SQL client for Windows, Mac and Linux.
    It's not available right now (no download page), but should be very soon

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster - Wednesday, November 1, 2017 12:54 PM

@Lynn

Regarding your earlier question about a version of SSMS for Linux, announced this morning was SQL Operations Studio (aka Project Carbon), a cross platform SQL client for Windows, Mac and Linux.

@Gail,

Awesome, thanks for the update.  I will keep a watch for it.  Now, once it is released, will Redgate support it cross platform with their tools.

• I'm hoping someone here can help me out finding a blog posting...

I *know* a couple weeks or so back, I saw a posting, I thought by Brent Ozar (but I couldn't find it on his blog,) that the gist of it was "whoever is taking the backups of the SQL database, they're the DBA."

I'm to the point of talking to my boss to try to wrest control of my SQL backups from our datacenter guys and I think that article would be worth showing him as well, kind of to indicate *why* the database backups should be pulled in-house, as it were.

Of course, then the fun of getting sufficient storage (also from the datacenter guys) to put the backups on starts, followed by making sure they have a schedule to backup that location and take said backups off-site...

• Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, November 1, 2017 1:00 PM

GilaMonster - Wednesday, November 1, 2017 12:54 PM

@Lynn

@Gail,

Awesome, thanks for the update.  I will keep a watch for it.  Now, once it is released, will Redgate support it cross platform with their tools.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Edit; initial hype done. Gail, any links to the announcement page?
    Edit2; Found it! https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dataplatforminsider/2017/11/01/sql-server-2017-and-azure-data-services-the-ultimate-hybrid-data-platform/

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Wednesday, November 1, 2017 1:06 PM

Edit; initial hyper done. Gail, any links to the announcement page?

Other than the tweets from the keynote this morning, no.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster - Wednesday, November 1, 2017 1:11 PM

Thom A - Wednesday, November 1, 2017 1:06 PM

Edit; initial hyper done. Gail, any links to the announcement page?

Other than the tweets from the keynote this morning, no.

Thanks. I did some twitter diving and found a link 🙂

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• jasona.work - Wednesday, November 1, 2017 1:01 PM

I'm hoping someone here can help me out finding a blog posting...

I *know* a couple weeks or so back, I saw a posting, I thought by Brent Ozar (but I couldn't find it on his blog,) that the gist of it was "whoever is taking the backups of the SQL database, they're the DBA."

I'm to the point of talking to my boss to try to wrest control of my SQL backups from our datacenter guys and I think that article would be worth showing him as well, kind of to indicate *why* the database backups should be pulled in-house, as it were.

Of course, then the fun of getting sufficient storage (also from the datacenter guys) to put the backups on starts, followed by making sure they have a schedule to backup that location and take said backups off-site...

Aanndd found it!
    https://spaghettidba.com/2017/09/13/expensive-enterprise-backup-tools-a-survival-guide/

Now to write up an outline of the whys and wherefores to explain why I want to take control of my DB backups.

• jasona.work - Wednesday, November 1, 2017 1:18 PM

jasona.work - Wednesday, November 1, 2017 1:01 PM

Aanndd found it!
    https://spaghettidba.com/2017/09/13/expensive-enterprise-backup-tools-a-survival-guide/

Now to write up an outline of the whys and wherefores to explain why I want to take control of my DB backups.

Or explain why they should guarantee RPO and RTO. Even better, you should get some guarantee on PTO.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares - Wednesday, November 1, 2017 1:49 PM

jasona.work - Wednesday, November 1, 2017 1:18 PM

jasona.work - Wednesday, November 1, 2017 1:01 PM

Aanndd found it!

Or explain why they should guarantee RPO and RTO. Even better, you should get some guarantee on PTO.

Throw some RIOs, TCOs and handful of TLAs in the mix, starts to look like a proper habanero salsa
    😎
    Mango Habanero Salsa

• Can someone possibly be this thick?

https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1905649/HA-and-DR-Solution

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John - Wednesday, November 1, 2017 2:43 PM

Yes... and it's not that rare.  Seems to be it's becoming the rule rather than the exception.  I blame a whole lot of it on MS no longer including local BOL with SQL Server.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden - Wednesday, November 1, 2017 3:15 PM

Michael L John - Wednesday, November 1, 2017 2:43 PM

Yes... and it's not that rare.  Seems to be it's becoming the rule rather than the exception.  I blame a whole lot of it on MS no longer including local BOL with SQL Server.

O.M.G.
    Please tell me that this person isn't a DBA, System Admin, Storage Admin.

• Jeff Moden - Wednesday, November 1, 2017 3:15 PM

Michael L John - Wednesday, November 1, 2017 2:43 PM

I miss BOL being local.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, October 24, 2017 4:54 PM

I used to do this periodically with the pile on my desk. People would drop work off, or I'd print emails. Once it got more than an inch or so thick, I'd throw everything below the top few items in the trash. Clearly I was never going to pop that work off the stack.

so, there's this story that Henry Ford used to interview people by putting them at an empty desk with sample memos in the inbox to work (all paper days, of course). Within a couple minutes they could tell who to hire and who to pass on because halfway down the stack was a memo that said the factory was on fire.

some people went through the stack and identified priority, others just worked from the top down.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• jasona.work - Thursday, October 26, 2017 6:51 AM

The downside to working from home is, if the cats decide it's the season to start throwing up on the carpet, you kind of need to clean it up instead of pretending you don't see it until the wife gets home and notices it...

this. so much this. Or, you have to do it right away because the dog's not in her kennel, she's roaming about and is going to eat it. (also a possible solution)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

Viewing 15 posts - 60,241 through 60,255 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply