Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Nevermind.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Beatrix Kiddo - Tuesday, December 19, 2017 7:52 AM

Facebook is a commercial company that tries to make money by offering their services to (also) EU citizens. That means they are subject to EU law.
    "there is no solid proof that the personal records held by Facebook are of actual EU citizens."
    1. I have a Facebook account (registered to my personal email, so this falls under the definition of identifiable natural person.
    2. I am a EU citizen
    Based on the two verifiable facts above, the obvious conclusion is that I have now given solid proof that Facebook holds personal recorrds of at least one EU citizen. They will need to follow GDPR.

I love this.

but he failed the Captcha, so he's really a bot, so they don't need to follow GDPR

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Michael L John - Tuesday, December 19, 2017 7:02 AM

Sergiy - Saturday, December 16, 2017 6:06 AM

Michael L John - Friday, December 15, 2017 7:18 AM

But, the astounding thing is that out of 6 candidates we have interviewed, only ONE had any understanding of the upcoming GDPR regulations. 
    The other 5 had never even heard of it.  Wait, you mean to tell me you are an IT professional, and you have  never even hears of this???

Why should they have?
    GDPR is rather legal subject, with very little relevnce to technical implementations. It's a company lawer which must understand it, not a report developer.

And - do you have such an understanding yourself?
    Can you give a definition for "data subject"?
    Is it a EU citizen, as described in one part of the legislation, or a EU resident, as described in another part?
    After it's clarified - how can you tell that a customer record in your database contains personal data for such a "data subject"? How do you or your BI developer should know if a record with a dodgy family name belongs to a EU citizen, or to a contractor residing in an EU country for a limited time, or a gastarbeiter from Ukraine on a work permit with no residential rights?
    How DBA's in Ali Express suppose to know which personal records in their database belong to citizens of which EU countries? Did you ever submit your citizenship information when buying something online? And even if you did - how a vendor suppose to verify correctness of such information? Get direct access to Intenal Affairs databases of every EU country???

Right-to-be-Forgotten.
    What if I want to be forgotten by a Police department?
    What about a private investigator database?  Their normal operations definitely "require regular and systematic monitoring of data subjects". So, according to GDPR, I must be able to force them to "forget me".
    It's also interesting how they plan to enforce this right for the private information of EU citizens  collected by FSB (better known as KGB) or CIA?
    And if FSB could not be forced to open their data collections for inspections by EU authorities, why Facebook must be any different? Especially - there is no solid proof that the personal records held by Facebook are of actual EU citizens.

This is a bit more that a report developer position.  And, even if it was "only a report developer", I would hope that they would have at least heard of it.  Considering the skills, experience, and accomplishments listed on the resumes, it's about what I expected.  

And, yes, I do have a deep understanding of it myself.  It's my job.

A data subject is a person for which there is some personally identifiable data in the database.  Whether he or she is an EU citizen or not and whether resident in the EU or not, are questions totally irrelevant to whether she or he is a data subject or not - citizens of Khazakistan resident in Antarctica, if some company has a database which contains personally identifiable data about them, are, as far as it concerns that company, data subjects.   As Sergiy clearly hasn't bothered to look at the GPDR documentation and discover what this purely technical term (totally unpolluted by legal jargon) means I can see no reason why anyone should pay any attention at all to his rants.

Many years ago during early discussions of where data protection regulations was going in the EU I was told by EU officials (and by British officials, but it was far more difficult to get them to say anything) where they thought it was going to go:  assuming what I was told then is still valid (and the GDPR documentation seems to suggest that it is) the answers to some of the questions for companies operating from outside the EU are: When data about a data subject is acquired in the course of a trasaction which takes place in the EU (that inludes a person signing up for, example, as a facebook member/customer from a network address located in the EU) that data subject has some rights.  It the data subject is also an EU citizen he has some more rights - specifically for the national data protection authority to take action to enforce his data protection rights (and for that national PA to require the USA administration to take action to enforce those rights as agreed by treaties between the EU and the USA).  The company possessing the data is expected to obey the rules about non-disclosure to third parties without explicit consent from the data subject, taking reasonable precautions to ensure that no data is improperly released, and not to modify the data to make it or any part of it into falsehood, if the data was obtained from a transaction which took place within the EU (whether or not the data subject is an EU citizen).
    The reason the USA was singled out for specific mention was two-fold: officially, because American companies process a lot of data about people who are in the EU and those companies are generally pretty incompetent at securing their databases from leaking information potentially to criminals; and really - well, no comment, as I don't want to offend anyone.

Tom

• so... how about that weather we've been having lately?

• Chris Harshman - Tuesday, December 19, 2017 11:21 AM

so... how about that weather we've been having lately?

Weather here is normal, bipolar.

• Chris Harshman - Tuesday, December 19, 2017 11:21 AM

As variable as the critics for the new Star War movie? I still don't know if I like it or not. It has some flaws, but I enjoyed it.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares - Tuesday, December 19, 2017 12:29 PM

Chris Harshman - Tuesday, December 19, 2017 11:21 AM

As variable as the critics for the new Star War movie? I still don't know if I like it or not. It has some flaws, but I enjoyed it.

[/quote]

Personally, I enjoyed it! Screw the critics, it is pure escapism, pure and simple.  People that want to read reality into it are missing the point of watching Star Wars.  Be entertained and ignore the other crap.

• Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, December 19, 2017 12:33 PM

Luis Cazares - Tuesday, December 19, 2017 12:29 PM

Personally, I enjoyed it! Screw the critics, it is pure escapism, pure and simple.  People that want to read reality into it are missing the point of watching Star Wars.  Be entertained and ignore the other crap.[/quote]

Star wars is fantasy that happens in space, so there's no reason to expect reality. My concerns are more inclined on the sense that it keeps copying scenes from the original trilogy and something else that I won't mention to avoid giving away spoilers.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares - Tuesday, December 19, 2017 12:39 PM

Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, December 19, 2017 12:33 PM

Personally, I enjoyed it! Screw the critics, it is pure escapism, pure and simple.  People that want to read reality into it are missing the point of watching Star Wars.  Be entertained and ignore the other crap.

Star wars is fantasy that happens in space, so there's no reason to expect reality. My concerns are more inclined on the sense that it keeps copying scenes from the original trilogy and something else that I won't mention to avoid giving away spoilers.[/quote]
    I enjoyed it.  I thought they did a good job.  There were a few points that made me wonder, but I'll leave it at that.  All in all, I thought it was good.  Besides, how can a Star Wars movie get released and I NOT go and see it?  It's almost a moral imperative.  I've seen them all in the theaters.

• Ed Wagner - Tuesday, December 19, 2017 1:08 PM

Luis Cazares - Tuesday, December 19, 2017 12:39 PM

Star wars is fantasy that happens in space, so there's no reason to expect reality. My concerns are more inclined on the sense that it keeps copying scenes from the original trilogy and something else that I won't mention to avoid giving away spoilers.

I enjoyed it.  I thought they did a good job.  There were a few points that made me wonder, but I'll leave it at that.  All in all, I thought it was good.  Besides, how can a Star Wars movie get released and I NOT go and see it?  It's almost a moral imperative.  I've seen them all in the theaters.

[/quote]

So have I, starting back in 1977.

• Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, December 19, 2017 1:13 PM

Ed Wagner - Tuesday, December 19, 2017 1:08 PM

Luis Cazares - Tuesday, December 19, 2017 12:39 PM

So have I, starting back in 1977.[/quote]
    Ahhhhh the Seventies.  Killed quite a few brain cells practicing mental Darwinism when we went to see the first Star Wars movie. 
    I would like to say I remember it well, but in actuality, it's pretty grey.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Quick question as I am getting ready to head out from work and may not get back on a computer until work tomorrow, the GraphDB Microsoft added in SQL Server 2017, is that in the on premise software or only Azure.  Any links I can follow tomorrow between other things I am working would be appreciated.  Starting to plan a bunch of training starting next year, although not all is going to be SQL Server.  I do need to get proficient with PostgreSQL and MongoDB, but hope to show that SQL Server can still do what they think PostgreSQL and MongoDB can do better and for free.  We all know that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Got a lot to plan for and hopefully have the time to do it.

• Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, December 19, 2017 6:20 PM

Quick question as I am getting ready to head out from work and may not get back on a computer until work tomorrow, the GraphDB Microsoft added in SQL Server 2017, is that in the on premise software or only Azure.  Any links I can follow tomorrow between other things I am working would be appreciated.  Starting to plan a bunch of training starting next year, although not all is going to be SQL Server.  I do need to get proficient with PostgreSQL and MongoDB, but hope to show that SQL Server can still do what they think PostgreSQL and MongoDB can do better and for free.  We all know that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

I believe it's for both and in both cases it's integrated into the SQL Engine. Last I saw, it was still in preview with Azure SQL.

And it's going to be hard to prove to anyone that is already in love with PostgreSQL and MongoDB that SQL Server is the way. Both of these are pretty good on their own as is.

• xsevensinzx - Tuesday, December 19, 2017 8:47 PM

Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, December 19, 2017 6:20 PM

Quick question as I am getting ready to head out from work and may not get back on a computer until work tomorrow, the GraphDB Microsoft added in SQL Server 2017, is that in the on premise software or only Azure.  Any links I can follow tomorrow between other things I am working would be appreciated.  Starting to plan a bunch of training starting next year, although not all is going to be SQL Server.  I do need to get proficient with PostgreSQL and MongoDB, but hope to show that SQL Server can still do what they think PostgreSQL and MongoDB can do better and for free.  We all know that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

I believe it's for both and in both cases it's integrated into the SQL Engine. Last I saw, it was still in preview with Azure SQL.

And it's going to be hard to prove to anyone that is already in love with PostgreSQL and MongoDB that SQL Server is the way. Both of these are pretty good on their own as is.

I lied, I am on but getting ready for bed as morning comes early.

The problem with PostgreSQL and MongoDB is no one here is really an expert on either.  As far as they are concerned they are simply data stores.  No one really learns how to use them to their best.  That is one reason I am going to start learning them, to find out their strengths and weaknesses.  With that I will also learn how to position SQL Server.  As far as most of the engineers and powers that be the biggest benefit for PostgreSQL and MongoDB is that they are free.  Again, we all know that there is no such thing as a free lunch.  As I learn about the competition I will also start learning about the new features of SQL Server 2017 and how I may be able to show how they can be used for the benefit of our customers.

Good night.

• Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, December 19, 2017 6:20 PM

the GraphDB Microsoft added in SQL Server 2017, is that in the on premise software or only Azure.  Any links I can follow tomorrow between other things I am working would be appreciated. 

It's in SQL Server 2017. Azure versions are named differently (eg v12). So if something says it's in SQL 2017, it's talking about the 'boxed' product

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 60,736 through 60,750 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply