Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, May 8, 2018 10:33 AM

Thom A - Tuesday, May 8, 2018 9:53 AM

Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, May 8, 2018 8:29 AM

Obviously knowing how to read, or better yet comprehend, documentation is a lost art.  And so is basic troubleshooting.  No, not going to post a link as there is no need to pile on.  I can't figure out why some people also don't try and encourage others to read.

Did you have your crystal ball out when you made that post Lynn? I didn't know you could tell the future. 🙂

Too bad all people want today is the answer and just the answer.  Immediate gratification is what it is all about.

Yep, the latest response with the answer just proved that. You're right, being able to read technical documentation is become extinct. I dread to think what people in our shoes will be like in another 2/3 generations.

On a different note, anyone going to the Redgate SQL Privacy Summit next Friday in London? It's my first Redgate "thing" I'm attending, so I'm quite excited. 🙂

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Tuesday, May 8, 2018 10:56 AM

Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, May 8, 2018 10:33 AM

Thom A - Tuesday, May 8, 2018 9:53 AM

Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, May 8, 2018 8:29 AM

Obviously knowing how to read, or better yet comprehend, documentation is a lost art.  And so is basic troubleshooting.  No, not going to post a link as there is no need to pile on.  I can't figure out why some people also don't try and encourage others to read.

Did you have your crystal ball out when you made that post Lynn? I didn't know you could tell the future. 🙂

Too bad all people want today is the answer and just the answer.  Immediate gratification is what it is all about.

Yep, the latest response with the answer just proved that. You're right, being able to read technical documentation is become extinct. I dread to think what people in our shoes will be like in another 2/3 generations.

On a different note, anyone going to the Redgate SQL Privacy Summit next Friday in London? It's my first Redgate "thing" I'm attending, so I'm quite excited. 🙂

For the Redgate Summit, not going.  Don't have the money for international travel and I have other things to use my PTO for in the coming weeks.

But all is not lost in the coming generations.  There are those out there willing to learn and read to improve their own knowledge and abilities.  One I know is my daughter.  I guess I must have rubbed off on her in the right way.

• Thom A - Tuesday, May 8, 2018 10:56 AM

See you there 😉

• You gotta love consultants.
    One of the dev groups brought on some consultants to do some contract programming.

They sent an email this morning asking me to perform a "database health check" for them.  The "database health check" consisted of installing and running sp_blitz. 
    I replied that sp_blitz only really provides some basic information, and please tell me what specifically the are looking for because I probably know the answers.

Silence. 

I guess they came to the conclusion that they were not really going to make any extra consulting bucks making database recommendations.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• You should have asked them about the rest of the First Responder Kit (and cc'd your boss). I mean, what about the sp_BlitzIndex and sp_BlitzFirst?

• Man, I'm in 7th heaven tonight.  Chris Morris was taking a vacation in Florida with some friends that live there and he flew up here today to see myself and Ed Wagner.  What an incredible treat and a huge check mark on my bucket list to meet the man in person and have several hours of conversation with him.  Absolutely incredible.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, May 10, 2018 10:55 PM

Man, I'm in 7th heaven tonight.  Chris Morris was taking a vacation in Florida with some friends that live there and he flew up here today to see myself and Ed Wagner.  What an incredible treat and a huge check mark on my bucket list to meet the man in person and have several hours of conversation with him.  Absolutely incredible.

Yeah, that was a very fun evening.  I think one of coolest parts of the SQL Server community is the interesting people.  Getting to actually meet him in person was a real treat.

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, May 10, 2018 10:55 PM

Man, I'm in 7th heaven tonight.  Chris Morris was taking a vacation in Florida with some friends that live there and he flew up here today to see myself and Ed Wagner.  What an incredible treat and a huge check mark on my bucket list to meet the man in person and have several hours of conversation with him.  Absolutely incredible.

I trust Jeff that you produced enough beer popsicles for my friend 😀
    😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Friday, May 11, 2018 5:58 AM

Jeff Moden - Thursday, May 10, 2018 10:55 PM

😎

There were no popsicles, but he was able to find a beer he liked. 😛

• OT question (on SnagIt).
    Using SnagIt's video capture, is it possible to remove frames from the start and end using the SnagIt editor?

(I had Camtasia installed on my old system and can install it again, but it appears to be a bit overkill if SnagIt can handle it)

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Friday, May 11, 2018 5:58 AM

😎

Like Ed said, no popsicles (I gave the dust bunnies the day off) but he found a beer that he liked.  I think better than that, though, he had a hamburger at Red Robin that he described as "fantastic".  It was the "Southern Charm" burger and it apparently made his tongue throw a party for his mouth.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden - Friday, May 11, 2018 7:20 AM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Friday, May 11, 2018 5:58 AM

😎

Like Ed said, no popsicles (I gave the dust bunnies the day off) but he found a beer that he liked.  I think better than that, though, he had a hamburger at Red Robin that he described as "fantastic".  It was the "Southern Charm" burger and it apparently made his tongue throw a party for his mouth.

And now I have the Red Robin jingle in my head....
    "Rreedd Robin! Yum!"

• Hugo Kornelis - Friday, May 11, 2018 6:15 AM

OT question (on SnagIt).
    Using SnagIt's video capture, is it possible to remove frames from the start and end using the SnagIt editor?

(I had Camtasia installed on my old system and can install it again, but it appears to be a bit overkill if SnagIt can handle it)

Don't know. I've only ever used Camtasia for video editing.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey - Friday, May 11, 2018 7:44 AM

Hugo Kornelis - Friday, May 11, 2018 6:15 AM

OT question (on SnagIt).

Don't know. I've only ever used Camtasia for video editing.

Guess I'll have to wait until I'm back home before I can record it and finish my next Plansplaining post. No way I'm going to download Camtasia over the internet connection I have here.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Anybody going to be at sqlsaturday 736 in Columbus?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

Viewing 15 posts - 61,516 through 61,530 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply