Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Sean Lange - Friday, July 6, 2018 12:45 PM

Nice, they look great. Did you smoke the mac & cheese as well? If not, you should try that sometime....so yummy!!!! What is the corn relish looking thing on the far side there?

They do look good.  Let me second Sean's suggestion about smoked mac and cheese - it's amazing.
    Seeing all this good BBQ, of course, makes me hungry for it.  The only downside is that I don't have time to do proper smoking after work today.

• Ed Wagner - Friday, July 6, 2018 1:19 PM

They do look good.  Let me second Sean's suggestion about smoked mac and cheese - it's amazing.
    Seeing all this good BBQ, of course, makes me hungry for it.  The only downside is that I don't have time to do proper smoking after work today.

I can send you some pork belly burnt ends. I cooked up an entire belly on Wednesday. 🙂 There was a total of about 3 1/2 racks going. Yes I put them on skewers. Kind of a PITA to get them started but way worth the effort when you have to pull them off. So much less effort to get them off and you don't lose any falling through.

Here is  how they finished. I had 3 pans all together.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Nope, I have not yet. I have a co-worker who does it with like 5 different cheeses, tastes pretty good.

Right now, i just smoke Boston Pork Butt, Ribs, and Beercan Chicken. Just got the smoker so, haven't got to everything yet. Need to do brisket next, but we eat so much pork here in the south (NC).

• Sean Lange - Friday, July 6, 2018 1:49 PM

Ed Wagner - Friday, July 6, 2018 1:19 PM

I can send you some pork belly burnt ends. I cooked up an entire belly on Wednesday. 🙂 There was a total of about 3 1/2 racks going. Yes I put them on skewers. Kind of a PITA to get them started but way worth the effort when you have to pull them off. So much less effort to get them off and you don't lose any falling through.

Here is  how they finished. I had 3 pans all together.

That picture is a thing of beauty.  Nicely done.

• xsevensinzx - Friday, July 6, 2018 1:49 PM

Nope, I have not yet. I have a co-worker who does it with like 5 different cheeses, tastes pretty good.

Right now, i just smoke Boston Pork Butt, Ribs, and Beercan Chicken. Just got the smoker so, haven't got to everything yet. Need to do brisket next, but we eat so much pork here in the south (NC).

Brisket can really damn good or really damn bad. It will test your patience as the time can vary quite a bit based on a million factors. It is one of the more challenging pieces of meat to get right but done correctly it is damn good and can feed a crap ton of people. And don't forget to slice off the point to toss back on for burnt ends.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange - Friday, July 6, 2018 2:01 PM

xsevensinzx - Friday, July 6, 2018 1:49 PM

Nope, I have not yet. I have a co-worker who does it with like 5 different cheeses, tastes pretty good.

Brisket can really damn good or really damn bad. It will test your patience as the time can vary quite a bit based on a million factors. It is one of the more challenging pieces of meat to get right but done correctly it is damn good and can feed a crap ton of people. And don't forget to slice off the point to toss back on for burnt ends.

I tried doing brisket a few times on this side of the pond and couldn't get near how moist it was supposed to be.  It was only after a bit of reading that I found out that British brisket is cut slightly differently from the US and it's not got the same fat covering.  It's possible to get the US cut over here but it's really expensive.

I've done a lot of pulled pork and the other day I did a beer can chicken which was really good,  The recent run of warm dry weather we've been having has meant I've been cooking outside more often than not recently.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Neil Burton - Monday, July 9, 2018 1:23 AM

Sean Lange - Friday, July 6, 2018 2:01 PM

xsevensinzx - Friday, July 6, 2018 1:49 PM

I tried doing brisket a few times on this side of the pond and couldn't get near how moist it was supposed to be.  It was only after a bit of reading that I found out that British brisket is cut slightly differently from the US and it's not got the same fat covering.  It's possible to get the US cut over here but it's really expensive.

I've done a lot of pulled pork and the other day I did a beer can chicken which was really good,  The recent run of warm dry weather we've been having has meant I've been cooking outside more often than not recently.

Nice job Neil. I haven't had time to do much smoking recently apart from a couple of half-sides of salmon (the shoulder end) and a pile of M&S "Posh Dogs", which used up the last of my smoking wood. I've got some more now, alder and maple from here and might have to fire up the smoker this Saturday. Sean's short ribs look amazing so they might have to be first. Waitrose across the road always have short ribs, I use them for Texas chilli using a modification of the "Serious Eats" Texas Chili recipe.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Is there any way to request a thread be moved in the new forum? I used to report it and ask in the details, but the new forum doesn't have that option that I can tell.

https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1975446/Database-Audit needs to be under MS Access, not SQL Server 2016.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster - Monday, July 9, 2018 5:28 AM

Is there any way to request a thread be moved in the new forum? I used to report it and ask in the details, but the new forum doesn't have that option that I can tell.

https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1975446/Database-Audit needs to be under MS Access, not SQL Server 2016.

You're right, we should definitely request to move The Thread to a different forum.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• GilaMonster - Monday, July 9, 2018 5:28 AM

Is there any way to request a thread be moved in the new forum? I used to report it and ask in the details, but the new forum doesn't have that option that I can tell.

Moved

• ChrisM@Work - Monday, July 9, 2018 4:12 AM

Nice job Neil. I haven't had time to do much smoking recently apart from a couple of half-sides of salmon (the shoulder end) and a pile of M&S "Posh Dogs", which used up the last of my smoking wood. I've got some more now, alder and maple from here and might have to fire up the smoker this Saturday. Sean's short ribs look amazing so they might have to be first. Waitrose across the road always have short ribs, I use them for Texas chilli using a modification of the "Serious Eats" Texas Chili recipe.

I've got rid of the offset that I did have and replaced it with a Weber Smokey Mountain.  They're different beasts but I think on balance I prefer the Weber.  I've definitely got what I've paid for.  
    In the last few weeks I've started taking advantage of the fact I basically live in the countryside and I've been foraging for smoking wood.  I've found a few good fallen oak branches and they're drying in the greenhouse at the moment. I'm on the hunt for a nice beech tree now. 

I've got some collagen sausage skins to make hotdogs with but there's always something else I want to try first.  Hopefully if the weather keeps up I'll get some made before the end of the summer.  That said, I'll get the smoker out on any day it's not actively precipitating.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• TomThomson - Thursday, June 28, 2018 6:30 PM

Thom A - Thursday, June 28, 2018 3:01 PM

Please don't remind me about Brexit... I'm still in hope that we'll get another vote.

Back on the beer subject, I personally really like a hoppy ale. I admit, I do like a stout as well, but if I get the choice of a hoppy ale, that'll win hand over foot. Buy me a Badger ale though, and you can't go wrong (apart from a Blandford Flyer, not a fan of liquorice).

It's rather unlikely that we'll get another vote, because the Brexiteers who claimed we could get out of Europe and produce enormous savings of expense and recovery of sovreignty without the appalling costs of leaving the customs union and the single market and thus managed to persuade enough people to vote for leave and got 37% of the voters to support them will continue to claim (falsely) that a majority of the British people voted to get out of the EC including getting out of the cutsoms union and the single market and there are enough of them (fully supported by the vicious right wing press) to scare other MPs into supporting their idiocy despite what sane MPs (and the house of Lords) try to achieve - their vituperative opposition to a referendum on a negotiated settlement or on exit without an agreed settlement is essential to their ardent desire to have their way whatever the British people think.

On beer, I tend to drink wine. But not in California, as I regard California's sweet Rosé and tasteless Red as two crimes against wine-making. I rarely drink white other than Italian, French, Spanish and German; France, Spain, Italy, Bulgaria, Germany etcetera can all make decent Rosé and Red.  When I do drink beer, in Spain I drink mostly Guiness and some Spanish light lagers, in Scotland dark heavies or stouts, in England Guiness, stout, porter, mild and sometimes bitter (but not excessively hoppy bitter), in France bottled unhoppy lagers, and in Germany Weissbier.  But my beer-drinking days are far fewer than they were twenty years ago and fewer than they were 10 years ago. I've swung onto wine, mostly.  Except when I'm on whisky or brandy; or things like Ron Miel or Banana Licor, or Ricard or Schnapps or even some strange Czech stuff.

Throwing my own hat into the ring here...

Brexit - this is such a COLOSSALLY bad idea, I cannot conceive how TPTB would knowingly put the country through it, to the end.  Emphasis on "the end".

My guess is that witch May inherited a referendum result where a bunch of economically naive housewives, lonely OAP's embittered they couldn't bother random strangers in the High St any longer by butting into conversations, as they were in foreign languages, and working folk seething at how Romanians were pricing them out of their just-above-Minimum Wage, 'Walk to work' jobs, turned up en-masse to the polling stations, voting cards held in sweaty palms, waiting to stick it to the EU, and all the people who wouldn't engage with them. 

Of course, the Referendum was held on a warm Thursday, so a significant proportion of WE gainfully employed people, who had just , for the 4th iteration that week, commuted 30-90 minutes to work, put in 8.5 hours of sweat and stress, commuted another 30-90 minutes, and came home, WE slumped in chairs, too exhausted to get to a polling station. 
    We saw what happened.
    I have met NOBODY in the last 2 years who was a Brexit voter, AND wasn't at least ONE of the following:
     1) Ignorant of macro-economics;
     2) Bitter
     3) Lonely;
     4) Mentally ill. 
    Not a one. 
    I suspect May knows all, this, and this entire process is one, enormous bluff being executed by the weakest, most disinterested, disposable, ineffectual PM since (and including) Chamberlain, one who in her heart I believe doesn't REALLY care if she continues as PM, I think she'll take us to the brink in the negotiations, hoping the EU will blink first, in which case she has a case to go back to the voters and say, "BUt wait !!  Look how smart I am, I've got us a great deal, but you decide!", and Brexit is duly reversed as we the sane voters come charging off our sofas, OR, far far more likely, the EU play hardball, knowing full well they are only losing 67 million customers but the UK is losing 300 million, negotiations collapse due to any combo of Irish border, access to markets etc, then so does her (already) tottering government, a General Election is held, Corbyn gets a slim majority but enough to force a 2nd Referendum (though I think THEY, TPTB, will force it on him), and either way, Article 50 is withdrawn. 
    Beer - love craft beers but hate hoppy ones.  Stouts are good, chocolate and hazelnut flavours are superb.  Of course will have anything European, except frickken Carlsberg.  Don't drink Foster's or Bud, no explanation needed.  I'm not a snob against American beers, I've tasted some good ones over there, but yeah, prefer European.  However Tecate' is absolutely amazing.
  • Well, every team I was rooting for is out of the cup. We're down to "Not France" in my house.

How has everyone else been?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• JaybeeSQL - Thursday, July 12, 2018 8:14 AM

I have met NOBODY in the last 2 years who was a Brexit voter, AND wasn't at least ONE of the following:
     1) Ignorant of macro-economics;
     2) Bitter
     3) Lonely;
     4) Mentally ill. 
    Not a one. 

Heh,.. so all IT workers, eh? :D:D:D

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I'm picking France. The Croats were a little dirty, though I guess France was. Mbappe is something though

Viewing 15 posts - 61,816 through 61,830 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply