Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Sean Lange - Monday, July 23, 2018 7:48 AM

jasona.work - Monday, July 23, 2018 7:28 AM

Jeff Moden - Friday, July 20, 2018 5:32 PM

Thom A - Friday, July 20, 2018 1:44 AM

I think it's more telling that for someone who has been working with SQL Server for a long time, and didn't understand something that was (very) likely to be documented, their first action was to just ask the on a forum rather that research and learn about it themselves.

Here's where those types of people come from...
    https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1977780/sql-server-2014-queries

I can't believe that there's no shame and no pride on the part of the OP in doing something like this.  I knew the world was getting worse but didn't realize just how bad it's gotten.

Heh... I wonder if he knows how to get the current date and time? 😀

And no need to pile on.  I just wanted you to see it because I was totally gob smacked at the shear audacity of it all not to mention the total lack of personal ethics that just asking such a question represents.

That...
    That was horrifying...
    Half the time you can almost smell if a question is going to be someone's homework just from the title of the topic...
    But that has new levels of "not even trying to pass of a homework question as my own work"
    Honestly, *pictures* of the questions, not even trying to re-type them in their own words?
    Sheesh...

And then the total bullshit piece of "I am an Oracle person, just need to learn this in sql server". What a total crock. Joins work the same in both with identical syntax. Sad...

That was my other thought.  The Oracle DBA I worked with for a while here was a smart cookie and could've figured out the answer in a few minutes just through "well, this is what I'd do in Oracle, now some quick Google and there's how to do it in MS-SQL."

• jasona.work - Monday, July 23, 2018 9:13 AM

Sean Lange - Monday, July 23, 2018 7:48 AM

jasona.work - Monday, July 23, 2018 7:28 AM

Jeff Moden - Friday, July 20, 2018 5:32 PM

Thom A - Friday, July 20, 2018 1:44 AM

I think it's more telling that for someone who has been working with SQL Server for a long time, and didn't understand something that was (very) likely to be documented, their first action was to just ask the on a forum rather that research and learn about it themselves.

Here's where those types of people come from...
    https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1977780/sql-server-2014-queries

I can't believe that there's no shame and no pride on the part of the OP in doing something like this.  I knew the world was getting worse but didn't realize just how bad it's gotten.

Heh... I wonder if he knows how to get the current date and time? 😀

And no need to pile on.  I just wanted you to see it because I was totally gob smacked at the shear audacity of it all not to mention the total lack of personal ethics that just asking such a question represents.

That...
    That was horrifying...
    Half the time you can almost smell if a question is going to be someone's homework just from the title of the topic...
    But that has new levels of "not even trying to pass of a homework question as my own work"
    Honestly, *pictures* of the questions, not even trying to re-type them in their own words?
    Sheesh...

And then the total bullshit piece of "I am an Oracle person, just need to learn this in sql server". What a total crock. Joins work the same in both with identical syntax. Sad...

That was my other thought.  The Oracle DBA I worked with for a while here was a smart cookie and could've figured out the answer in a few minutes just through "well, this is what I'd do in Oracle, now some quick Google and there's how to do it in MS-SQL."

Oops, wrong thread: There is a way around that then, use autonomous transactions in Oracle to execute the DDL statement(s).

• I hate it when people give you requirements in dribs and drabs

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• drew.allen - Monday, July 23, 2018 2:51 PM

I hate it when people give you requirements in dribs and drabs

Drew

Seems to be the norm anymore.

• drew.allen - Monday, July 23, 2018 2:51 PM

Drew

That one just looks like bad table design to me, PCP assignment is entirely separate from enrollment spans, and should be treated as such.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• jonathan.crawford - Wednesday, July 25, 2018 7:40 AM

drew.allen - Monday, July 23, 2018 2:51 PM

Drew

That one just looks like bad table design to me, PCP assignment is entirely separate from enrollment spans, and should be treated as such.

I have avoided that thread just based on the OP.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares - Wednesday, July 25, 2018 9:12 AM

jonathan.crawford - Wednesday, July 25, 2018 7:40 AM

Drew

One cannot make it up :pinch:
    😎

This is just like the norm in the consulting business, if you are a consultant, the business will never tell you the whole truth (understatement)

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Wednesday, July 25, 2018 9:25 AM

Luis Cazares - Wednesday, July 25, 2018 9:12 AM

Drew

😎

This is just like the norm in the consulting business, if you are a consultant, the business will never tell you the whole truth (understatement)

I wonder if being a parent makes you a better consultant or if it happens the other way around. Either way, you'll never get a full answer when asking what happened. :hehe:

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares - Wednesday, July 25, 2018 9:28 AM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Wednesday, July 25, 2018 9:25 AM

Drew

😎

I wonder if being a parent makes you a better consultant or if it happens the other way around. Either way, you'll never get a full answer when asking what happened. :hehe:

Being a parent does help, the problem is how not to patronize when communicating to the client.
    😎

• Luis Cazares - Wednesday, July 25, 2018 9:12 AM

Drew

I considered avoiding it entirely, but what he initially asked for was so easy.  Once he changed the parameters, it became much more difficult especially since his sample data was woefully inadequate.  There are 11 possible relations between two intervals, so you need at a bare minimum 22 records.  He posted 3 and then later improved it to 10.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Wednesday, July 25, 2018 9:47 AM

Luis Cazares - Wednesday, July 25, 2018 9:28 AM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Wednesday, July 25, 2018 9:25 AM

Drew

😎

Being a parent does help, the problem is how not to patronize when communicating to the client.
    😎

so....talk to the neighbor's kids to find out what really happened when yours won't tell you?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Think I might have an error somewhere. If not everywhere.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• If everything is an #Error, does that mean nothing is an #Error?

• jonathan.crawford - Thursday, July 26, 2018 6:53 AM

If everything is an #Error, does that mean nothing is an #Error?

Don't think I've come across the #Error hash tag before😀
    😎

I can think of more than one "Twit" that could and should use it.

• Again, no need to pile on but I wanted you to see this one, as well.
    https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1978632/Try-catch-block-in-SQL-statement-not-in-TSQL

Heh... people wonder why I start interviews with the "How do you get the current date and time" question.  This is even worse.  I'm totally gob smacked. 

How in the hell do these people get jobs that require "some knowledge of SQL"??? :blink:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 15 posts - 61,876 through 61,890 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply