Are the posted questions getting worse?

• David Burrows - Wednesday, August 8, 2018 2:30 AM

jonathan.crawford - Tuesday, August 7, 2018 11:06 AM

drew.allen - Monday, August 6, 2018 1:05 PM

I ended up writing a SQL script to generate the appropriate XML for a tablix when given a dataset name and a list of fields and positions.  It probably took me about the same amount of time as going through the GUI, but the next report will only take about 30 minutes instead of a day.

Drew

ooh, we need an article on that

+1

I used to do similar things in the past create code to generate code, saves a huge amount of time.

Recently I had to rewrite 150+ SSIS packages for SQL 2016 and the only difference was the table names (transfer from 3rd party system)
    Creating each package one at a time would have been tedious at best :doze:
    So I created one, then using text editor removed all column references and changed the table names to @ (purely for future text replace) and then used it as a template.

All I had to do was copy the template to the actual filename required, replace @ with the table name, load the file in SSIS, fix the errors (mappings) and voila a working package in less than a minute 😀

+1
    notepad++ is a fantastic tool for creating SSIS packages.

• Jonathan AC Roberts - Wednesday, August 8, 2018 3:42 AM

David Burrows - Wednesday, August 8, 2018 2:30 AM

jonathan.crawford - Tuesday, August 7, 2018 11:06 AM

drew.allen - Monday, August 6, 2018 1:05 PM

I ended up writing a SQL script to generate the appropriate XML for a tablix when given a dataset name and a list of fields and positions.  It probably took me about the same amount of time as going through the GUI, but the next report will only take about 30 minutes instead of a day.

Drew

ooh, we need an article on that

+1

I used to do similar things in the past create code to generate code, saves a huge amount of time.

Recently I had to rewrite 150+ SSIS packages for SQL 2016 and the only difference was the table names (transfer from 3rd party system)
    So I created one, then using text editor removed all column references and changed the table names to @ (purely for future text replace) and then used it as a template.

All I had to do was copy the template to the actual filename required, replace @ with the table name, load the file in SSIS, fix the errors (mappings) and voila a working package in less than a minute 😀

+1
    notepad++ is a fantastic tool for creating SSIS packages.

Isn't that what BIML is for?

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • That feeling you get when you've spent the last couple months getting ready for a system audit, only to find out someone dropped the ball on some paperwork and it's been cancelled (pending a reschedule sometime in the next couple months...)

Yeah, that's what I'm dealing with.  About the only happy thing for me is, my servers are in good shape for the audit and have been, and if nothing else this gives me a couple more weeks to figure out how to satisfy a requirement (I've got a test SSIS package built to do what's needed, now I just need to get it transferred over to my work systems.  Which means I have to re-create it from the ground up.)

• David Burrows - Wednesday, August 8, 2018 2:30 AM

+1

Reading about BIML to automate the creation of SSIS packages.

• jasona.work - Wednesday, August 8, 2018 7:34 AM

That feeling you get when you've spent the last couple months getting ready for a system audit, only to find out someone dropped the ball on some paperwork and it's been cancelled (pending a reschedule sometime in the next couple months...)

Yeah, that's what I'm dealing with.  About the only happy thing for me is, my servers are in good shape for the audit and have been, and if nothing else this gives me a couple more weeks to figure out how to satisfy a requirement (I've got a test SSIS package built to do what's needed, now I just need to get it transferred over to my work systems.  Which means I have to re-create it from the ground up.)

Unfortunately, I know that feeling as well.  I saw an external test put off by several weeks because someone didn't send an email.

In the end, no matter how hard we try, the bureaucracy always wins.  http://www.mit.edu/people/dmredish/wwwMLRF/links/Humor/Administratium.html

• Ed Wagner - Wednesday, August 8, 2018 8:24 AM

jasona.work - Wednesday, August 8, 2018 7:34 AM

That feeling you get when you've spent the last couple months getting ready for a system audit, only to find out someone dropped the ball on some paperwork and it's been cancelled (pending a reschedule sometime in the next couple months...)

Unfortunately, I know that feeling as well.  I saw an external test put off by several weeks because someone didn't send an email.

In the end, no matter how hard we try, the bureaucracy always wins.  http://www.mit.edu/people/dmredish/wwwMLRF/links/Humor/Administratium.html

I shouldn't feel to cranky about it, though.  One of my co-workers cancelled a regular family vacation (took other trips and such instead,) to accommodate the audit.

• jasona.work - Wednesday, August 8, 2018 9:01 AM

I shouldn't feel to cranky about it, though.  One of my co-workers cancelled a regular family vacation (took other trips and such instead,) to accommodate the audit.

We had a guy miss most of his vacation for a legal issue. We made it up for him, but wow. I know I'd probably do the same thing, but my wife would certainly insist on compensation.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Wednesday, August 8, 2018 9:21 AM

We had a guy miss most of his vacation for a legal issue. We made it up for him, but wow. I know I'd probably do the same thing, but my wife would certainly insist on compensation.

He was a touch cranky when he found out this morning, but this had been scheduled a couple months back so he had time.  Now, if they rescheduled it for the week of Aug 27 and told me I'd need to cancel my trip, yes, I'd be furious and demanding compensation (I've already paid $1500 for a hotel, plus $200 for tickets, plus $100 for some workshops...)  And, if it'd been the same situation for my co-worker (virtually no notice and plans have already been made and paid for,) I'd expect him to be furious as well.

But, it wasn't.  I'm just grateful that when they initially started scheduling this (April-May) they were able (and willing) to accommodate my already planned and paid for vacation.

• Is this about something new that I missed? Something old that I've never heard about? Or just someone bringing terms from other products?
    https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1984213/index-join-and-index-intersection

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • The OP in this thread is so rude. Somebody was trying to help him and is just getting abuse.

https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1983125/Distributed-AG-with-AutoSeed?PageIndex=1

• Beatrix Kiddo - Friday, August 10, 2018 5:34 AM

The OP in this thread is so rude. Somebody was trying to help him and is just getting abuse.

https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1983125/Distributed-AG-with-AutoSeed?PageIndex=1

Wow... that that escalated quickly. That was worse than some (SOME) of the comments you see on StackOverflow.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Friday, August 10, 2018 5:52 AM

Beatrix Kiddo - Friday, August 10, 2018 5:34 AM

The OP in this thread is so rude. Somebody was trying to help him and is just getting abuse.

Wow... that that escalated quickly. That was worse than some (SOME) of the comments you see on StackOverflow.

Yeah, but it's happened before with that particular OP.

• Ed Wagner - Friday, August 10, 2018 5:56 AM

Thom A - Friday, August 10, 2018 5:52 AM

Beatrix Kiddo - Friday, August 10, 2018 5:34 AM

Yeah, but it's happened before with that particular OP.

That's awful. They should be banned.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Shouldn't they be banned or something? (Edit: too slow.)

• I personally blackballed that monstrosity a long time ago.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 15 posts - 61,936 through 61,950 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply