Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden - Friday, August 10, 2018 6:32 AM

I personally blackballed that monstrosity a long time ago.

I had to look this word up, just to double check whether a baseball bat and a man's sensitive region were involved.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin - Friday, August 10, 2018 6:37 AM

Jeff Moden - Friday, August 10, 2018 6:32 AM

I had to look this word up, just to double check whether a baseball bat and a man's sensitive region were involved.

The OP would probably benefit from some of this therapy.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Jeff Moden - Friday, August 10, 2018 6:32 AM

They clearly didn't like you telling them that Jeff.:hehe:

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Friday, August 10, 2018 7:06 AM

They clearly didn't like you telling them that Jeff.:hehe:

Yeah, but did you read the reply? :crazy:  He's never seen Jeff solving technical questions???  WOW!

• Phil Parkin - Friday, August 10, 2018 6:37 AM

Heh... you know me too well but a baseball bat would be too much work.  Point blank shot with a pork chop cannon would be much more fun.

That sot is even more in gracious than Celko.  Join me in shrouding that clown.  Let him die on the vine.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Beatrix Kiddo - Friday, August 10, 2018 6:20 AM

Shouldn't they be banned or something? (Edit: too slow.)

There needs to be an option for "rude/offensive" in the flag reasons. I have seen some people lose their minds on the forums but that is a whole new level.

And seriously Jeff...you need to start helping people instead of just trolling. πŸ˜€

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange - Friday, August 10, 2018 7:17 AM

Beatrix Kiddo - Friday, August 10, 2018 6:20 AM

Shouldn't they be banned or something? (Edit: too slow.)

There needs to be an option for "rude/offensive" in the flag reasons. I have seen some people lose their minds on the forums but that is a whole new level.

And seriously Jeff...you need to start helping people instead of just trolling. πŸ˜€

Well, trolled him as well.  I have helped (tried to help?) in the past but after this, it is a pass.

• Jeff Moden - Friday, August 10, 2018 7:14 AM

Phil Parkin - Friday, August 10, 2018 6:37 AM

Heh... you know me too well but a baseball bat would be too much work.  Point blank shot with a pork chop cannon would be much more fun.

That sot is even more in gracious than Celko.  Join me in shrouding that clown.  Let him die on the vine.

I granted that OP the "Honorary Title" of Persona Non Grata a while back and as a generous gesture, for life :exclamation:
    😎

• Wow. I've been away from here for a while. Reading that thread certainly makes for a bizarre re-entry to SSC.

I remembered his posts always being difficult, but I hadn't seen anything approaching that level of hostility.

The bit about Jeff's never helping people out with technical questions was...something :Whistling:

• Jacob Wilkins - Friday, August 10, 2018 9:10 AM

Wow. I've been away from here for a while. Reading that thread certainly makes for a bizarre re-entry to SSC.

I remembered his posts always being difficult, but I hadn't seen anything approaching that level of hostility.

The bit about Jeff's never helping people out with technical questions was...something :Whistling:

His posts are easy, it is him who is difficult:pinch:
    😎

BTW, good to see you're back, you alright?

• Jeff Moden - Friday, August 10, 2018 7:14 AM

Phil Parkin - Friday, August 10, 2018 6:37 AM

At least it can safely be assumed that Celko is just actively trolling.

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Friday, August 10, 2018 9:14 AM

Jacob Wilkins - Friday, August 10, 2018 9:10 AM

Wow. I've been away from here for a while. Reading that thread certainly makes for a bizarre re-entry to SSC.

His posts are easy, it is him who is difficult:pinch:
    😎

BTW, good to see you're back, you alright?

Heh, that is indeed probably a better way of describing his posts. 

Thanks for asking! I am doing well; it was just that life got a bit busier, and I slipped out of the habit of carving out time for SSC.

Glad to see all the great folks like yourself are still here!

• ZZartin - Friday, August 10, 2018 9:22 AM

Jeff Moden - Friday, August 10, 2018 7:14 AM

Speaking of that,
    @Lynn don't feed the troll. You just make him feel important.
    I know that you get frustrated from the horrible posts by JC, but we should try to ignore him as much as possible.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares - Friday, August 10, 2018 1:42 PM

ZZartin - Friday, August 10, 2018 9:22 AM

Jeff Moden - Friday, August 10, 2018 7:14 AM

Speaking of that,
    @Lynn don't feed the troll. You just make him feel important.
    I know that you get frustrated from the horrible posts by JC, but we should try to ignore him as much as possible.

Easier said than done.

• Don't mind me, just blowing off steam here.

This is on a different site, but it really annoys me when someone tells me that "this or that method" is better than mine, because their/that method doesn't have the problem mine does, when in fact, it does. Not only that, but when you try to educate them on why, they refuse to believe it.

Had someone telling me that a CURSOR was an awful solution for something (without going into detail, it's not as it's repeating on objects not rows), however, that a self referencing variable isn't RBAR, and far better. A self referencing variable is RBAR. ARGH!!!!

/Rant over.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 15 posts - 61,951 through 61,965 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply