Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Beatrix Kiddo - Monday, August 13, 2018 3:26 AM

Hmm, I would use indices in a financial markets context, but indexes in a database context.

Heh... ditto that.  Especially since a large portion of the people I've interviewed for database related jobs don't know how to get the current date and time.  I wouldn't want to confuses them by asking them about "indices". 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Sunday, August 12, 2018 9:40 AM

You mean "indices" 
    😎

Funny that I always read that as "índices"
    :hehe:

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Is it just me, or is anyone else not receiving topic/forum subscription emails today? (I've not had any email since Sunday Afternoon).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Jeff Moden - Monday, August 13, 2018 6:19 AM

Beatrix Kiddo - Monday, August 13, 2018 3:26 AM

Hmm, I would use indices in a financial markets context, but indexes in a database context.

Heh... ditto that.  Especially since a large portion of the people I've interviewed for database related jobs don't know how to get the current date and time.  I wouldn't want to confuses them by asking them about "indices". 😀

I think we have to accept indexes in the context of SQL Server, given that it's a US product. In a similar vein:

• Program instead of Programme
    • Dialog instead of Dialogue
    • Oriented instead of Orientated
    • Alternate instead of Alternative
    • Matrixes instead of Matrices
    But I'll never accept the execrable 'aluminum' ... And 'herb' will always have an aspirated 'h' :hehe:

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Lynn Pettis - Friday, August 10, 2018 8:56 AM

Well, trolled him as well.  I have helped (tried to help?) in the past but after this, it is a pass.

After reading through that, I was sorely tempted to post an answer of "maybe"
    :hehe:
    But it's not worth the effort.

• Phil Parkin - Monday, August 13, 2018 10:18 AM

But I'll never accept the execrable 'aluminum' ... And 'herb' will always have an aspirated 'h' :hehe:

I think "AUTHORIZATION" has tripped me up the most. I remember a few times getting an error along the lines "Invalid syntax near AUTHORISATION" and wondering what I'd done wrong.

I'm with you though Phil, I'm not a fan of Aluminum and 'erb. 🙂

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Why do I seem to attract weird issues?
    Came in this morning, get settled in, logged in, fired up SSMS and my handy server check script.  OK, that's odd, one of my production servers isn't responding.  RDP into it, that worked, what's going on?  Check, SQL services aren't running, so I try to start them...
    Service failed to start...
    Check the log files, OK, even weirder, there's no log file from my attempted start...
    Dig into the event logs, the account can't login?  WTF???
    OK, reboot.  No joy...
    Add the account to the local Admin group (I'm using local managed service accounts, NT Service\MSSQLSERVER for some of the services,) that seemed to do the trick.  Except one of the services with a Domain account also can't start and throws the same messages in the event logs...
    So, add the accounts, get things running, start digging...

Long story shortened, it looks like a couple processes which I don't control (OS processes) crossed up and forced a shutdown / reboot this morning.  Then on top of that, it seems the server is having a hard time talking to AD, sort of / kind of / sometimes...

Ugh...
    So tomorrow we're going to try to replicate the problem by rebooting one of my QA boxes, and if it fails, we've got somewhere to work the problem that isn't production...

• Phil Parkin - Monday, August 13, 2018 10:18 AM

You're not supposed to *eat* the aluminum, that's your problem. Herb's nice. He's been my neighbor for some time now, how'd you meet him?

sidenote, celebrating 375 years this year since my ancestor came to these shores (not sure if it counted as "immigrating" at that point in time, since it wasn't a different country yet). All those years and generations of effort, just to get away from your silly extra letters....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Just an FYI, our project is underway for redoing the site to include mobile access. We should see mockups early and I suspect a few of you might be contacted to beta test.

We are also doing a POC for a forum change. Since we're moving to a WordPress based platform, we are investigating bbPress, which is what WordPress uses themselves. They have a large forum, so I'm not too worried about scale. By default it's a cleaner format, but we can skin it. We will also work on getting stylesheets for the markdown somehow.

• jonathan.crawford - Monday, August 13, 2018 1:00 PM

(not sure if it counted as "immigrating" at that point in time, since it wasn't a different country yet). 

The people who lived here beforehand probably viewed it as a country of some sort.

• jonathan.crawford - Monday, August 13, 2018 1:00 PM

You're not supposed to *eat* the aluminum, that's your problem.

sidenote, celebrating 375 years this year since my ancestor came to these shores (not sure if it counted as "immigrating" at that point in time, since it wasn't a different country yet). All those years and generations of effort, just to get away from your silly extra letters....

Execrable has nothing to do with eating.
    Alternate and alternative mean two different things in British English. "I visit my parents on alternate weekends" means every other weekend, not that I go only on those weekends which coincide with punk rock festivities. It's a useful distinction.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Beatrix Kiddo - Tuesday, August 14, 2018 10:33 AM

jonathan.crawford - Monday, August 13, 2018 1:00 PM

(not sure if it counted as "immigrating" at that point in time, since it wasn't a different country yet). 

The people who lived here beforehand probably viewed it as a country of some sort.

Even so, it probably didn't count as immigration. It felt more like invasion.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Phil Parkin - Tuesday, August 14, 2018 11:16 AM

jonathan.crawford - Monday, August 13, 2018 1:00 PM

You're not supposed to *eat* the aluminum, that's your problem.

Execrable has nothing to do with eating.
    Alternate and alternative mean two different things in British English. "I visit my parents on alternate weekends" means every other weekend, not that I go only on those weekends which coincide with punk rock festivities. It's a useful distinction.

LOL love the description of weekends. And in American English those two words mean exactly what you described. I have never heard them the other way around.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange - Tuesday, August 14, 2018 12:01 PM

LOL love the description of weekends. And in American English those two words mean exactly what you described. I have never heard them the other way around.

Heh - I have.  The same people that say "please advice" and "please suggest me" get all kinds of words mixed up.  Like so many other things, context matters and can usually be used to infer what someone means.

• Ed Wagner - Tuesday, August 14, 2018 12:14 PM

Sean Lange - Tuesday, August 14, 2018 12:01 PM

Heh - I have.  The same people that say "please advice" and "please suggest me" get all kinds of words mixed up.  Like so many other things, context matters and can usually be used to infer what someone means.

Perhaps I should have stated that in American English (at least as I know it) those two words have the same distinction. To say that I have not heard anybody completely butcher phrasing (or done it myself) would a complete fallacy. 🙂

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

Viewing 15 posts - 61,981 through 61,995 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply