Are the posted questions getting worse?

• This is from a job posting that another department in my company put together.

Basic Qualifications

Bachelor’s degree in data science or related field and 2+ years of related experience

Proven experience writing relational and multi-dimensional SQL database queries.

Experience with Azure Data Lake

Experience with ETL and ELT that move data from disparate systems.

Experience with Git and Azure DevOps, JSON.

Scripting language experience: Python, PowerShell.

Understanding of OLTP databases, OLAP databases, data stores, and analytical structure principles

Knowledge of data mining and segmentation techniques

Experience with designing, building, monitoring, and troubleshooting BI solutions.

Demonstrated innovation, customer focus, attention to detail, acquisition of new technical skills, and ability to navigate ambiguous and fast-paced situations.

Preferred Qualifications

Master’s degree in data science or related field and 2+ years of related experience

·         Microsoft certification DP-203: Data Engineering on Microsoft Azure.

·         Experience with Azure Databricks.

·         Experience with Microsoft Power BI including DAX commands.

·         Experience with Microsoft SQL Server stored procedures and functions.

·         Proficiency and application of R language.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• jonathan.crawford wrote:

Rubber ducky effect is strong for me this morning. Was baffled for the past couple of days as to why the "exact same code" would work in a query window but fail within a tSQLt test. Finally decided to post the question here, as I'm writing up the sample code I realize …… that the test that's failing is in a different schema than the code I'm using.

D'oh!

Thanks everyone for helping me without helping me! Super fast response time! haha

This is a good reminder for why we ask for the sample data and expected results.  I have found that just putting that together will often lead to a solution or helps identify the actual issue.  Instead of taking pages of back and forth in the forum just to get to the OP's expected result we often end up with multiple valid solutions.

Unfortunately - that does sometimes lead to a much larger discussion on which valid solution is the better solution.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Jeffrey Williams wrote:

[F]ortunately - that does sometimes lead to a much larger discussion on which valid solution is the better solution.

Fixed that for you. This is always the most important part, to Jeff's larger point above. Knowing what to do implies knowing why you are doing it, if you are doing it correctly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Michael L John wrote:

This is from a job posting that another department in my company put together.

Basic Qualifications

Bachelor’s degree in data science or related field and 2+ years of related experience Proven experience writing relational and multi-dimensional SQL database queries. Experience with Azure Data Lake Experience with ETL and ELT that move data from disparate systems. Experience with Git and Azure DevOps, JSON. Scripting language experience: Python, PowerShell. Understanding of OLTP databases, OLAP databases, data stores, and analytical structure principles Knowledge of data mining and segmentation techniques Experience with designing, building, monitoring, and troubleshooting BI solutions. Demonstrated innovation, customer focus, attention to detail, acquisition of new technical skills, and ability to navigate ambiguous and fast-paced situations. Preferred Qualifications

Master’s degree in data science or related field and 2+ years of related experience ·         Microsoft certification DP-203: Data Engineering on Microsoft Azure.

·         Experience with Azure Databricks.

·         Experience with Microsoft Power BI including DAX commands.

·         Experience with Microsoft SQL Server stored procedures and functions.

·         Proficiency and application of R language.

Sooo, why not just specify the Masters to begin with since you can't have it without the BA degree? Also, aren't Masters degrees pretty much just money-sink scams that get you a pretty piece of paper without giving you the real-world knowledge you actually need to do your jobs?

Although, since my BA is in an unrelated field to IT, I'm already failing the job requirements despite having working with SQL for over 16 years. Guess I will take my server and find another company to play with. (@sob)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• If they put Masters in the Basic requirements, HR will never forward anyone who doesn't have it, regardless of experience. Having it in preferred also gives them the option to push for higher salary if they find someone with that.

Reindeer games, basically.

Looks like a good career goal list for me though. Other than the master's, I've enough student debt as it is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

If they put Masters in the Basic requirements, HR will never forward anyone who doesn't have it, regardless of experience. Having it in preferred also gives them the option to push for higher salary if they find someone with that.

Reindeer games, basically.

Looks like a good career goal list for me though. Other than the master's, I've enough student debt as it is.

Ahh. The post formatting made me miss the "Preferred Qualifications" comment right before the masters' degree. I thought it was required.

My bad.

I have a laundry list of things I want to learn related to new SQL functionality. And not enough time to learn them. Sigh. PowerShell first. Definitely need that. R and the others can wait.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Not a bad description, though I dislike the "experience" with, as it doesn't weight anything higher than anything else. What do you care about more? Not that you might find a good candidate, but I assume you want someone more in the data science area, maybe more R than Python or the reverse.

Not that you can't teach someone a portion of skills, but I'd try to aim the description more at the type of person I want and have a bunch of nice to haves in there. Like git/Azure DevOps. Takes about 2-3 weeks to get someone in that habit and teach them a few things if they've never used it.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Not a bad description, though I dislike the "experience" with, as it doesn't weight anything higher than anything else. What do you care about more? Not that you might find a good candidate, but I assume you want someone more in the data science area, maybe more R than Python or the reverse.

Not that you can't teach someone a portion of skills, but I'd try to aim the description more at the type of person I want and have a bunch of nice to haves in there. Like git/Azure DevOps. Takes about 2-3 weeks to get someone in that habit and teach them a few things if they've never used it.

I have no idea what they are looking for, actually.  This group writes reports.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

Rubber ducky effect is strong for me this morning. Was baffled for the past couple of days as to why the "exact same code" would work in a query window but fail within a tSQLt test. Finally decided to post the question here, as I'm writing up the sample code I realize …… that the test that's failing is in a different schema than the code I'm using.

D'oh!

Thanks everyone for helping me without helping me! Super fast response time! haha

You should still post the question and how you fixed it. Someone else may have the same or similar problem.

• Jeffrey Williams wrote:

I have found that just putting that together will often lead to a solution or helps identify the actual issue.

Heh... PREACH IT BROTHER! 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Michael L John wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Not a bad description, though I dislike the "experience" with, as it doesn't weight anything higher than anything else. What do you care about more? Not that you might find a good candidate, but I assume you want someone more in the data science area, maybe more R than Python or the reverse.

I have no idea what they are looking for, actually.  This group writes reports.

That's what I do hehe. They're looking for someone that can take on incoming data files from disparate sources, combine them in some logical way within databases/data warehouses, write reports that compare those files to each other and the systems that the rest of the business uses to see what needs fixed, track and trend anything that's wrong or needs attention. Plus, gather requirements, build out the reports, get fancy with visualizations and forecasting using statistics in R. And stay organized by putting it all into DevOps and git. Oh, and "Demonstrated innovation, customer focus, attention to detail, acquisition of new technical skills, and ability to navigate ambiguous and fast-paced situations", so "willing to work all hours of the day and night for some dumb solution, especially when it breaks, and doesn't care when people yell at them for things that aren't their fault".

Surprised they didn't throw it in but "willing to train their replacement" is probably in there too.

That's like three or four teams' worth of work, but that's what they're looking for. If they can find someone with half of that, they'll be happy.

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

jonathan.crawford wrote:

D'oh!

You should still post the question and how you fixed it. Someone else may have the same or similar problem.

I hear you and understand what you mean, but it's literally a case of "I took the code from the wrong test and thought it worked, when it wasn't what was failing". PEBKAC

• Heads up, folks.  Norton Life Lock lit up big time on the following breach.  It looks pretty serious...

https://www.wired.com/story/t-mobile-hack-data-phishing/

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• wonder if that affects me. I use Google FI, but it uses T-Mo as an underlying network, among others.

• There's a reason the wife and I have froze our credit reports.

I KNOW my info has been leaked, and several times from various breaches.  Aside from not using the same passwords around and freezing the reports, there's not a whole lot else I can do.

That, and keep an eye on the credit reports...

Viewing 15 posts - 65,641 through 65,655 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply