Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Greg Edwards-268690 wrote:

Easy. Exactly the rabbit hole we all fall into sometimes.

If life was easy, would any of us have a job? After all, some in politics imply with a couple weeks training any coal miner could be a software programmer.

I have to agree it might be easy, but also run into some other issues, So easy depends on what the goal is.

This post has had me thinking for the past couple days.  It does depend on the goal.  About 10 months ago I split with my business partner of 10 years so I had to completely start over technically.  We tried a number of different businesses and it became clear over time it was (long past) time to move on.  I didn't really care much over the time because this person was investing in the businesses and I always had interesting technical projects to work on.  The code is/was all encumbered in those businesses so in the end I had zilch.  Starting from scratch what is there to look forward to but endless complexity or simple tasks repeated ad nausea?  It's really made me think about what are the real sources of complexity in databases and systems

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• I've always been concerned but, as I get older, I seriously worry about the medical world and hospitals and the people in them when I see things like the following...

https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/conditional-sum-in-sql

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Out of interest, has anyone heard or seen from Gail in awhile? I haven't seen them about in ages. I noticed that their website has been down a little while too (I have habit of sharing some of theirarticles to colleagues and unfortunates on the internet, such as their "No, this isn't a bug in T-SQL" post about unqualified columns in sub queries, which is a personal favourite). I recall they said they they'd struggled for a while, especially over COVID, so I hope they are doing well if anyone has heard from them.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

Out of interest, has anyone heard or seen from Gail in awhile? I haven't seen them about in ages. I noticed that their website has been down a little while too (I have habit of sharing some of theirarticles to colleagues and unfortunates on the internet, such as their "No, this isn't a bug in T-SQL" post about unqualified columns in sub queries, which is a personal favourite). I recall they said they they'd struggled for a while, especially over COVID, so I hope they are doing well if anyone has heard from them.

Gail last retweeted something on Twitter on 4/12.

Is Gail now going by they / them? I only ask because I didn't hear about it and I don't want to misgender Gail.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Gail is around on Slack quite a bit now, if you want a joining link to the slack SQL community let me know.

I know she is busy as she (I believe she still goes via the feminine pronouns, apologies if not) works for MSFT on the cloud side of things so I know that can be a lot to handle.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Is Gail now going by they / them? I only ask because I didn't hear about it and I don't want to misgender Gail.

This is just a habit of mine now; I basically refer to anyone I personally haven't met in person as "they" on the internet now to ensure I don't offend anyone; it's not that I'm attempting to misgender them (her), I just stick to gender neutral almost permanently to not misgender. (The final straw when when I referred to someone as "she/her" when they had a woman as their profile image, but they were a man using a woman for their image, and were upset by me calling them a woman.)

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

This is just a habit of mine now; I basically refer to anyone I personally haven't met in person as "they" on the internet now to ensure I don't offend anyone; it's not that I'm attempting to misgender them (her), I just stick to gender neutral almost permanently to not misgender. (The final straw when when I referred to someone as "she/her" when they had a woman as their profile image, but they were a man using a woman for their image, and were upset by me calling them a woman.)

I would be offended of being misquantified if someone refers to me as they. Although, it would make sense considering my multiple personalities.

However, I know that Gail has had problems with people confusing her with a man because she uses Qui-Gon Jinn (Liam Neeson) as her avatar.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares wrote:

Thom A wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

I would be offended of being misquantified if someone refers to me as they. Although, it would make sense considering my multiple personalities.

However, I know that Gail has had problems with people confusing her with a man because she uses Qui-Gon Jinn (Liam Neeson) as her avatar.

I have lived with being called her/she all my life, it is something I sort of ignore but take the time to correct the individual. Anyone who has been around ssc as seen this happen to me and some of you have jumped in and corrected people before I have had the chance (thank you, by the way).

• So I'm updating my internal-to-the-business resume and I'm trying to figure out the best way to spell out "one-stop shop" without actually using those words. How else, in formal / resume terms, would one refer to a place where the DBAs do everything from security to backups to development to reporting to BI work to general administration (non-production and production) and deployment?

Thoughts on the best way to phrase this would be appreciated.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Okay, this is VERY weird. My last post, when I hit submit, errored out with "Are you sure you want to do that?"

And when I hit submit again, it accepted it and posted. Anyone else ever see this behavior?

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Okay, this is VERY weird. My last post, when I hit submit, errored out with "Are you sure you want to do that?"

And when I hit submit again, it accepted it and posted. Anyone else ever see this behavior?

From time to time, yeah. I haven't in my recent posts, but I used to get it more often than not.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Jeff Moden wrote:

I've always been concerned but, as I get older, I seriously worry about the medical world and hospitals and the people in them when I see things like the following...

https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/conditional-sum-in-sql

That's nothing. Talk to Tim Ford sometime about all the crap he used to go through at hospitals. It's amazing we don't all die the moment we set foot in them.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Okay, this is VERY weird. My last post, when I hit submit, errored out with "Are you sure you want to do that?"

Well, are you sure?

Ha!

Please, don't take offense. I had the same thing happen just a minute ago and I was surprised too. I had to double check that I hadn't done something stupid. Not sure where that comes from.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Yes, happens to me approximately 20% of the time - it's happened in both Chrome and Edge.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

I've had some weird behaviour:

I was posting on this thread: https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/find-maximum-qty-of-fruits-regardless-of-fruit-which-could-be-bought-by-50

I posted a reply that I think should be on page 2, but there is no page 2 and my post it is not accessible from the original thread:

https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/find-maximum-qty-of-fruits-regardless-of-fruit-which-could-be-bought-by-50/page/2#post-4021052

Viewing 15 posts - 65,971 through 65,985 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply