Arrays in Stroed Prcoedure

• rog pike (11/12/2008)

An array is a 'type', something the archaic computer science of sql knows nothing about. You have to move to a 'real' relational system to find a list/array type. You'll find such adult computer science in Dataphor.

Apparently someone complained/reported something I wrote as being objectionable. They got their wish as it was magically extracted from the text. What was yanked, besides my chain, was a metaphor, albeit a vivid one, to drive a salient point home. Now I write for adults, I don't do child-speak very well. Nor do I have a predilection to only write drone-on-speak. So, if I can, I won't hesitate to use an adult metaphor to amplify a point in an industry that is usually tone deaf. God forbid IT encourage ability in something other than code or pixels. So if you are an adult, with a surname other than anonymous, please explain just what you found R or X rated. Mature adults usually confront conflicts thru the front door not the back one.

www.beyondsql.blogspot.com

• Hi,

SQL server doesnot support arrays. Try to use temporary tables.

• Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look.

You know how it is...you find something that works for you and then forget about it. But if there's a better way I'm all for it.

-Mike

• arup_kc (11/14/2008)

Hi,

SQL server doesnot support arrays. Try to use temporary tables.

You're the second person to say that without showing how... 😉 And, just how would you do that if you wanted to pass an array from a GUI? Temp table isn't gonna work there.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply