Basic Create Foreign Key Issue

• Hi All,

I am getting an error when I try to create a foreign key.

Scenario:

I have tables A, B and C. Table A has a prim key on Aid column and Table B has a prim key on Bid column and Table C has a prim key on Cid column.

Relationship:

Aid is the foreign key for tables B and C and there is a relationship between A and B and another relation between A and C.

Issue:

Table C has a column Bid and I want to create a foreignkey relationship between B and C. and below is my sql

ALTER TABLE C

ADD Constraint FK_C_B FOREIGN KEY (BId) REFERENCES B(BId)

Msg 547, Level 16, State 0, Line 1

The ALTER TABLE statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY constraint "FK_C_B". The conflict occurred in database "Test", table "dbo.B", column 'BId'.

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” -- John Quincy Adams

• Will be thankful if you can shed some light on me.

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” -- John Quincy Adams

• I believe you may be creating a FK on itself, BId could be ambiguous.

Also ensure B.BID has an associated primary key constraint.

You can use NOCHECK to skip constraint checking...

Try:

ALTER TABLE C

ADD Constraint FK_C_B FOREIGN KEY (BId) REFERENCES B(BId)

WITH NOCHECK

And can you post the table definition too, and any current constraints on the table - and whether any entries exist in the table.

Thanks.

---

Note to developers:
    CAST(SUBSTRING(CAST(FLOOR(NULLIF(ISNULL(COALESCE(1,NULL),NULL),NULL)) AS CHAR(1)),1,1) AS INT) == 1
    So why complicate your code AND MAKE MY JOB HARDER??!:crazy:

Want to get the best help? Click here https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/forum-etiquette-how-to-post-datacode-on-a-forum-to-get-the-best-help (Jeff Moden)
    My blog: http://uksqldba.blogspot.com
    Visit http://www.DerekColley.co.uk to find out more about me.

• Table A was:

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Workspaces](

[WorkspaceId] [uniqueidentifier] NOT NULL,

[Name] [nvarchar](50) NOT NULL,

[IsMultiLanguage] [bit] NOT NULL,

[IsMultiUseCase] [bit] NOT NULL,

[IsAllowAlternateMapStrings] [bit] NOT NULL,

[AccountId] [uniqueidentifier] NULL,

CONSTRAINT [PK_Workspaces] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[WorkspaceId] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

Table B was:

USE [PPMOnlineWebSiteDB]

GO

/****** Object: Table [dbo].[FlexDefs] Script Date: 01/18/2012 13:55:26 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[FlexDefs](

[FlexDefId] [uniqueidentifier] NOT NULL,

[DataTypeModifierId] [uniqueidentifier] NULL,

[FlexListModeId] [uniqueidentifier] NOT NULL,

CONSTRAINT [PK_FlexDefs] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[FlexDefId] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[FlexDefs] WITH CHECK ADD CONSTRAINT [FK_FlexDef_DataTypeModifier] FOREIGN KEY([DataTypeModifierId])

REFERENCES [dbo].[DataTypeModifiers] ([DataTypeModifierId])

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[FlexDefs] CHECK CONSTRAINT [FK_FlexDef_DataTypeModifier]

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[FlexDefs] WITH CHECK ADD CONSTRAINT [FK_FlexDef_FlexListMode] FOREIGN KEY([FlexListModeId])

REFERENCES [dbo].[FlexListModes] ([FlexListModeId])

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[FlexDefs] CHECK CONSTRAINT [FK_FlexDef_FlexListMode]

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[FlexDefs] WITH CHECK ADD CONSTRAINT [FK_FlexDef_Workspace] FOREIGN KEY([WorkspaceId])

REFERENCES [dbo].[Workspaces] ([WorkspaceId])

ON DELETE CASCADE

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[FlexDefs] CHECK CONSTRAINT [FK_FlexDef_Workspace]

GO

Table C was:

USE [PPMOnlineWebSiteDB]

GO

/****** Object: Table [dbo].[FlexDefUseCases] Script Date: 01/18/2012 13:55:54 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[FlexDefUseCases](

[FlexDefUseCaseId] [uniqueidentifier] NOT NULL,

[FlexDefId] [uniqueidentifier] NOT NULL,

[AnnouncementMethodID] [uniqueidentifier] NOT NULL,

[VoiceID] [uniqueidentifier] NOT NULL,

[ScriptUseModeId] [uniqueidentifier] NOT NULL,

CONSTRAINT [PK_FlexDefUseCases] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[FlexDefUseCaseId] ASC

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[FlexDefUseCases] WITH CHECK ADD CONSTRAINT [FK_FlexDefUseCase_Workspace] FOREIGN KEY([WorkspaceId])

REFERENCES [dbo].[Workspaces] ([WorkspaceId])

ON DELETE CASCADE

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[FlexDefUseCases] CHECK CONSTRAINT [FK_FlexDefUseCase_Workspace]

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[FlexDefUseCases] WITH CHECK ADD CONSTRAINT [FK_FlexDefUseCases_AnnouncementMethod] FOREIGN KEY([AnnouncementMethodID])

REFERENCES [dbo].[AnnouncementMethods] ([AnnouncementMethodID])

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[FlexDefUseCases] CHECK CONSTRAINT [FK_FlexDefUseCases_AnnouncementMethod]

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[FlexDefUseCases] WITH CHECK ADD CONSTRAINT [FK_FlexDefUseCases_ScriptUseMode] FOREIGN KEY([ScriptUseModeId])

REFERENCES [dbo].[ScriptUseModes] ([ScriptUseModeId])

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[FlexDefUseCases] CHECK CONSTRAINT [FK_FlexDefUseCases_ScriptUseMode]

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[FlexDefUseCases] WITH CHECK ADD CONSTRAINT [FK_FlexDefUseCases_Voices] FOREIGN KEY([VoiceID])

REFERENCES [dbo].[Voices] ([VoiceID])

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[FlexDefUseCases] CHECK CONSTRAINT [FK_FlexDefUseCases_Voices]

GO

Yes there is data in all the tables and I doubt that it could be the issue

• You have a value for BID in your C table that doesn't have a corresponding value for BID in your B table. The best way to resolve this is to add the necessary values for BID into the B table before creating your foreign key.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• The issue is because of data in the tables. Identified the bad data and deleted it and created the foreign key and it got created without error.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply