BCP login and password exposure

• I'm using bcp inside a sql server stored procedure. this bcp command is using login ID and password to connect to the database and copy some rows into a file.

I would like to know if it is possible to hide the login ID and password. I don't want to hard code them in the stored procedure. or if there is a way to read those login and password from a safe place.

Thank you for your help

• Here are some things you can try:

(1) Create your stored procedure with encryption so nobody can read it

(2) Use DTS instead of bcp

(3) Use Windows authentication instead of SQL

John

• John has great suggestions, but how are you calling BCP? Is this something a person runs or is it automated?

• Thank you guys for your replies. I really appreaciate it.

it is automated. I run it from a stored procedure.

ex: bcp "select rights  from appl where order by rights" queryout \\'+@servername+'\file.txt -c -S"'+@servername+'\instance"  -U"username" -P"password"

I just read about trusted connection (-T) where I don't specify username and password. is it secure enough. is it a good idea.

Bakr

• Bakr

Yes, a trusted connection is the same thing as using Windows authentication.  I'm not quite sure how it would work - you'd need to experiment.  But I think either that the user calling the procedure would need to be mapped to a Windows login, or the owner of the procedure would need to be.

John

• Yes trusted connection worked too. I just added -T to the statement and I ommited login ID and PWD.

Thanks to everybody

Bakr

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply