Best resources to provide fellow IT support who need to troubleshoot SQL Server

• Hi folks, starting a new career where I am part of a support team where we do a bit of Windows and SQL. I'd be the primary SQL DBA, but the other Enterprise/support folks will also be supporting some SQL when they are on call. Any recommendations on resources for 'Accidental DBAs'.

I've found this free eBook [/url]from Jonathan Kehayias and may use it as a template/resource to create a training manual for them, a kind of 80/20 approach to focus on the most common things first, and escalate to myself when they can't make further progress.

Any other resources you could recommend? While we have a mix of 2008 and 2014, I'm okay with 2008 resources as most of the troubleshooting tips will be applicable to higher versions.

Thanks, and apologies if this is the wrong forum, but couldn't find a generic enough forum for this question (but Admins, please move if you feel it necessary). 😀

Gaby

• Absolutely the Kehayias' book!

Another really good resource to point them to?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/[/url]

😀

(Disclaimer: I don't work for RedGate, nor do they pay me)

If they're interested in learning, also suggest they either DL SQL Express edition (at least it will give them the basics) or purchase a copy of Developer edition, then either (if management is OK with it) load it on their workstation or else load it at home and "play" with it.

Point them at the MSDN pages for SQL Server, especially Books OnLine (BOL,) it'll help with a lot of things.

• Of course the RedGate books. If these guys are new to SQL Server and primarily in a support position, then I'd suggest they focus their learning track on backup / restore, security, and monitoring. They don't need to get side tracked by T-SQL programming or database design concepts, not until they are solid on the key areas for which they'll be receiving 2am support calls.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I recognize that Kalen Delaney's book, SQL Server Internals, can be pretty advanced, but it's the kind of thing you read over and over again to build up knowledge. It's not great for moment by moment troubleshooting, but when you're trying to figure out how something works in order to prevent an error.

And Jonathan's book.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks everyone for the tips. Jonathan's book for the team, but maybe Kalen's book for myself. 😀

Gaby

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply