Bug in database restore, Server Management Studio.

• Scenario 1:

Lets say you want to restore yesterday's production database to your test database, DBTest.

So you click on DBTest | Tasks | Restore | Database. You see both target and source databases are DBTest so you change the source to DBProduction and select the old backup from yesterday.

Now you click "OK".

Congratulations. You just overwrote the production database with yesterday's data !

What happened was that when you changed the source pull-down combo to "DBproduction" the target combo changed too and you didn't notice.

Scenario 2:

Even if you did notice and changed the top (target) combo back to "DBTest" you are still in problems.

Click on Options and you will see that both target and source databases are still "DBproduction"

Congratulations you did it again !

Mickysoft have been made aware of the first scenario and promise to fix it in a future service-pack.

• , thanx for letting us know...  Might save a few jobs around here !

• Thanks for sharing the info.

• Your Senario is flawed.

In order to restore "Yesterday's" the way you described you would have to select "From Device:" and select a backup file.  The method you describe is restoring from a current active database.  Unless You've already restored yesterday's backup and then your whole process is pointless and redundant.

I'm running SS 9.0.2047 and see no issues with the GUI Restore Database.

• i was never brave enough to restore from SQLEM or Management Studio. I either do it via Veritas or when it's a .bak file i always do it from script

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply