client for users connectivity to 2000 and 2008 dbs

• I was looking to have the application team avoid remotely logging into the server. was going to advise them to use sql server express management studio. they have to connect to sql 2000 databases and now the new sql 2008 R2 databases. Is SQL server express 2005 with service pack 3 the right tool? Or can they use SQL server express 2008 r2 on their pcs to connect to both 2000 and 2008 databases?

• Unless you want them to have a SQL server local to their machine that isn't necessary. You can install the tools only from the SQL install disk. This would allow connection to SQL 2000/2005/2008/2008R2. There are some limitations like in SQL 2000 you cannot create a brand new DTS, but then again you probbably shouldn't.. Also the SQL 2008 tool cannot administer a SQL 2005 Integrations Services server..

Why don't you explain your requirement with a bit more detail..

CEWII

• Thank you and sure I can elaborate,

The users were using remote desktop to get into the server to access the databases. I was going to advise against it, this being production. I wanted to recommend they install Management studio on their PC's to connect to the database.

You are right, they just need the tools, they dont need database engine locally. They do have a couple of servers still running SQL 2000. The new ones just got SQL 2008 R2. Testing is done and this will be a platform migration to SQL 2008 R2. So now the users would need to connect to SQL 2000 and 2008 R2 databases with the same client tool on their PC. There is no integration services or DTS packages involved. These are small OLTP databases which are not mission critical. They might just need to pull up reports and/or create objects from what I heard.

Which version of Express Edition tools only would be appropriate? Do I recommend SQL Server 2005 Express (with SP3) or SQL Server Express 2008 R2 tools only

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply