comparing specific rows

• Is there any way of comparing specific rows in a table? i.e. I want to delete one of two rows in a table (that also has more rows in it other than the 2 i want to compare). Basicaly, each of the rows have a date field and a unique idtntifier, I want to compare two rows against each other using the unique indetifier and delete the one with the earliest date.

Anyone know how this can be done?

appreciated.........

If riding in a plane is flying, then riding in a boat must be swimming. To experience the element, get out of the vehicle. Skydive!

If riding in a plane is flying, then riding in a boat must be swimming. To experience the element, get out of the vehicle. Skydive!

• You can use the following query.

DELETE FROM MyTable
    WHERE Unique_ID = <ID to Delete>
    AND DateField = (SELECT min(t1.DateField)
    FROM MyTable t1
    WHERE t1.Unique_ID = <ID to Delete>)
  • Hi,

you could set rowcount to 1

and then delete based on the unique identifier, ordered by date. This was delete the earlier one and leave the later one. (don't forget to set it back though !)

Paul

• An alternative to delete all those records is

DELETE MyTable
    FROM MyTable t1 INNER JOIN MyTable t2
    ON t1.Unique_ID = t2.Unique_ID
    AND t1.DateField < t2.DateField

This will delete all the records for a single Unique_ID, except for the one with the latest date.

• This is how I do it but I do sugegst follow using the TRANSACTION method to be able to recover if you find an error in the data.

BEGIN TRANSACTION

delete
    tblname
    where
    exists (
    select
    from
    tblName oq
    inner join
    (
    select
    iq.uniind mxid,
    max(iq.datefld) as mxcd
    from
    tblName iq
    group by
    iq.uniind
    ) as MaxCD
    on
    oq.uniind = MaxCD.mxid and
    oq.datefld != MaxCD.mxcd
    where
    oq.uniind = tblname.uniind AND
    oq.datefld = tblname.datefld
    )

Validate your data was deleted correctly and do

COMMIT TRANSACTION

otherwise do

ROLLBACK TRANSACTION

to recover

Also, first time I suggest use just one to test so add

AND
    tblname.uniind = 'testuniindvalue'

to the above code.

• What is 't1'??

DELETE MyTable

FROM MyTable t1 INNER JOIN MyTable t2

ON t1.Unique_ID = t2.Unique_ID

AND t1.DateField < t2.DateField

[/code]

This will delete all the records for a single Unique_ID, except for the one with the latest date.

[/quote]

• t1 and t2 are aliases for mytable1 and mytable2

• there is only one table.............

[/quote]

• Hi Andrew,

quote:

there is only one table.............

A table can be joined to itself.

Take a look at self-join in BOL.

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

• sorry, bit too quick there, it's s self join. This effectively is two copies of the base table so you can do something like

"AND t1.DateField < t2.DateField"

• actually, just read up on that..thanks guys.. ill give it a go and it looks like it should work..appreciate it

• im getting an error whn i execute the query.......'tablename is ambiguous'

any ideas why?

• Which code are you running?

• DELETE MyTableFROM MyTable t1 INNER JOIN MyTable t2 ON t1.Unique_ID = t2.Unique_ID AND t1.DateField < t2.DateField

• Hi Andrew,

quote:

DELETE MyTable FROM MyTable t1 INNER JOIN MyTable t2 ON t1.Unique_ID = t2.Unique_ID AND t1.DateField < t2.DateField

because you have given two aliases for MyTables, you should change DELETE MyTable to t1.

Should work

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply