Concurrent Administration

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Concurrent Administration

• Nice question ...

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Good one, never thought of this

M&M

• Some people might see this as a trick question, because no where does it state "Full Backup & Shrink THE SAME database"....

Good one though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Henrico Bekker (1/24/2012)

Some people might see this as a trick question, because no where does it state "Full Backup & Shrink THE SAME database"....

That's a fair point. I did have to guess the intent of the question a little.

• It becomes quite easy to answer all those similar concurrency questions if you've read the MSDN page after the first question 😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Thank you for the question

Iulian

• Thank you.

• Good question, thanks. One thing though. In the note at the bottom of the MSDN page that the answer refers to it says the following:

File shrink operations can be started while a backup is running, provided that the backup finishes before the file shrink operation attempts to change the size of the files.

Does that imply that one might be able to perform these two tasks under the given circumstances? Or am I mis-interpreting the note?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

Some people might see this as a trick question, because no where does it state "Full Backup & Shrink THE SAME database"....

Good one though.

No - surely that's too obtuse.

• paul s-306273 (1/25/2012)

Henrico Bekker (1/24/2012)

Good one though.

No - surely that's too obtuse.

True Paul, I assumed the question was based on the same database, and not in general in SQL Server, so I hoped it wasn't a trick question. 😉 Got it right in the end.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• good question!!!

thanks!!!

[font="Times New Roman"]rfr.ferrari[/font]
    DBA - SQL Server 2008
    MCITP | MCTS

remember is live or suffer twice!
    the period you fastest growing is the most difficult period of your life!

Good one though.

I am one of those people. I immediately answered Yes to this question because I thought of two different databases and filegroups. So it is possible to do a full backup and a shrink at the same time so this is a bogus question.

Am I the only person that is thinking outside the box? I got it wrong but for a good reason this time.

• I knew I had a 50/50 chance of getting it wrong, because the documentation itself supports both answers.

The table at the top of the linked page says that full backup and file shrink can not run concurrently.

But the note below that table says that they CAN run at the same time ("File shrink operations can be started while a backup is running"), as long as the shrink operation does not complete before the backup does. I didn't test this, but the only way this can possibly be implemented is allowing the two operations to run concurrently, and either rolling back or blocking the shrink operation if it finishes before the backup does.

I had to decide if I thought Steve had or had not seen that note. I figured out he had, so I answered "Yes" - and got slapped.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• I think that's exactly what the footnote meant, however it states that is "possible" to run a file shrink while the backup is already running, so there is a timing condition in order to complete the operation. I assumed the question was looking for a "safe" result regardless the timing issue... I agree with other posted comments...this was kind a tricky question.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply