copying database

• hi there.

i have been trying to copy my database from one sqlserver to another and its just fails, i have tried averything i can and still no result.

the problem is that we have designed a database for a company, and we used our sql server for the project, now we need to copy the database to our client's sqlserver.

please help.

tanx in advance.

• Have you check Andy Warren's articles on this site? He has at least one on moving a database from one server to another.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• We've had good luck with taking a full backup of the database, then restore it with a different name on the same server or, if desired, with the same name on a different server.

To do this, you need to note where you backup the database and use the file from that location or copy the backup file to another server.

There can be complications with orphaned logins.  The articles bkelley recommends addresses these issues and are good reading.

HTH

• You could do a couple of way.  Backup your database and give it to DBA/sa so they could restore it at your client site.  The reason why is because you might not have sa privilege at your client site to restore the database on their server.

The 2nd way to do is to detach your database, copy the .mdb and .ldf file to CD or thumb drive and have someone on your client side who has sa privilege copy that file to the databaser server and perform attach database.

I have moved hundreds of databases at a time to different server and never had any problem.  Good luck.

mom

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply